My fine clothes are being ruined

Nick - Pie Man

My fine clothes are being ruined

Postby Nick - Pie Man » Fri May 27, 2011 9:48 am

I was rather pleased with my efforts yesterday, I hit the bike lanes on East Boundary Rd on Bentleigh East last night and was pleased to discover that most motorists are quite easy to deal with even during peak hour traffic. Parked cars are a pain in the butt though. Haven't been 'doored' yet and am looking forward to my first encounter with one.

Also I was quite pleased to find that I could maintain speeds of 25-30kph, not bad for a bloke coming off a zero fitness base. My 'average' was 12 which is shocking but that is because the trip was punctuated with stoppages. Bloody lights, bloody bike lanes that stop being bike lanes whenever you hit an intersection :roll:

Anyway - I am developing a problem with my commute to work

At the moment I am riding to the railway station and catching the train to the office. I have figured out a route of sorts and over the next couple of weeks I hope to be able to ride all the way to work. To avoid getting to work smelling worse than Melbourne's trains, I wear junk clothes on the bike and keep my office gear in my panniers.

What is happening is that my nice shirts are getting all wrinkled.

It's ok for when I'm in the office but when I have to go see clients I need my shirts, ties etc to be wrinkle free.

What are some solutions to this problem?

Are there special bags one can buy to hold clothes?

Kenzo

Re: My fine clothes are being ruined

Postby Kenzo » Fri May 27, 2011 10:38 am

One of the best tips I can offer is to buy the right shirts in the first place.
Pierre Cardin "Easy Care" shirts $30 each at Trade Secrets http://www.tradesecret.com.au/.
Iron at home, fold when cooled. The don't hold the commuting bag creases like cotton shirts do.

There are also dry cleaners which offer a laundry service, my nearest to work offers wash and air 'press' for $2 per shirt.

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Fri May 27, 2011 11:16 am

I fold my business shirts into that nice square shape, and then fold my business pants in a three way fold. I lie the business shirt on top of the pants and then slide them both into a thick shopping plastic bag - the type you get at myer's or JB (not a coles super thin bag). I then slide the bag (which turns out to be a nice flat package) into my back pack. Depending on how I feel - I either put the whole backpack in my pannier or wear it as a backpack.

I've found they come out nicely pressed. They do have some creases, but they are full line creases rather then rumpled creases.

My shirt's get just as rumpled sitting on the bus/train seat or my desk chair.

I use 80%-100% natural fibre shirts also - since I hate the plastic feeling of synthetic materials.

Seems to work well for me.

westab

Postby westab » Fri May 27, 2011 12:23 pm

I use a similar method to Oxford. Folding the shirts while buttoned up. I too use shirts that don't hold creases.

The other thing I do is have enough shirts for approx 2-3 weeks at work and bring the shirts from home for at least a week. I then fill my locker from one end and wear from the other. The shirts do develop creases on the ride in but they drop out by the time I wear them. If I get a realy "bad" one there is an iron at work - I have only had to use it once in 7 years of riding. :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Nick - Pie Man

Postby Nick - Pie Man » Fri May 27, 2011 12:26 pm

Thanks guys. Creaseless shirts and sensible packing hey, I'll try them out and see how we go

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri May 27, 2011 1:25 pm

FWIW, I have found that creaseless shirts actually do become creaseless if left hanging. Maybe if you take all your shirts for the week in on monday and leave them hanging, you might get better results for tue->fri...?

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri May 27, 2011 1:55 pm

Nick - Pie Man wrote: Are there special bags one can buy to hold clothes?
Yes.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=22299

I have one of these which I bought from Snowgum - an Eagle Creek pack-it folder. It fits my Brooks panniers

http://www.snowgum.com.au/shop/product/ ... -folder-15

Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

m@

Postby m@ » Fri May 27, 2011 5:36 pm

Best method I've found for cotton shirts is to roll or fold loosely, then pack in a large ziplock bag with lots of air. The bags do develop leaks though so need to be retired to other uses after a week or so.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat May 28, 2011 11:13 am

Some ideas here.

I don't have the luxury of change facilities at work so have to ride in the shirt I wear for the day. It's better this time of year when the weather is cooler.

On my touring trips I often get favourable comments when I appear from my tent with nicely pressed trousers and shirt for the evening at the pub 8) . I pack a travel shirt and pants by folding them neatly then rolling them up and packing neatly inside a stuff bag (with other clothing). I then collapse the air out of this before packing it in the pannier. The shirt and pants come out with their creases intact but very little crumpling. I find that they retain good appearance, even after two or three uses and repacks.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

schurms

Postby schurms » Sat May 28, 2011 11:14 am

Chanboy wrote:I fold my business shirts into that nice square shape, and then fold my business pants in a three way fold. I lie the business shirt on top of the pants and then slide them both into a thick shopping plastic bag - the type you get at myer's or JB (not a coles super thin bag). I then slide the bag (which turns out to be a nice flat package) into my back pack. Depending on how I feel - I either put the whole backpack in my pannier or wear it as a backpack.

I've found they come out nicely pressed. They do have some creases, but they are full line creases rather then rumpled creases.
+1

This is exactly the same technique I have been using for the past 5 years.. I work as a consultant and have never had problems with this approach. Think careful folding into the shopping bag and then into the backpack is what keeps them pressed. I also put my shoes on the bottom of the backpack.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Sat May 28, 2011 11:32 am

I leave everything at work, shirts are taken to laundry service and that is $15 per week, not the cheapest but very close to office. Shoes, belt,suits, ties, towel, cufflinks, dress watch, etc all at work. That way it is just socks and undies on a daily basis. Keeps the pannier nice and light!

So called wrinkle free shirts are terrible, they don't breathe properly, and are not as comfortable as 100% cotton. Also go for the removable steel collar stays, that way you just slip them in and at least your collar is not all over the shop.

My office is very cold, manager likes to freeze, so I have taken to wearing a wool vest, sleeve less jumper, over my shirts. So as long as the sleeves and collar are OK no one sees the rest!

Have seen guys riding with shirts on a hanger in suit bag attached to their backpack, almost acts as a cape but I prefer to ride clean skin so to speak.

Cheers
J

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:14 am

il padrone wrote:Some ideas here.

I don't have the luxury of change facilities at work so have to ride in the shirt I wear for the day. It's better this time of year when the weather is cooler.
Wow that is harsh to work at a place that doesnt provide a toilet, must be bustin by the time you get home.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

Billscott

Postby Billscott » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:26 pm

Be sure to iron your shirt the night before, or at any rate well before you pack it so that it is cool. If you pack it while it is warm it will take more creases.

B

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:45 pm

Cruiserman wrote:
il padrone wrote:Some ideas here.

Wow that is harsh to work at a place that doesnt provide a toilet, must be bustin by the time you get home.
:lol: :lol:

OK, yes there is a toilet. But it's 150m away from my office and has no lockers, clothing racks/hooks or showers. Forget about ironing board :mrgreen: . In the warmer months I do a 'sparrow-bath' to cool off and freshen up, but have to ride in most of the clothes I wear for the day, carrying a change of shoes and jumper/jacket.

Real irony is that the State Government recently mandated the installation of lockers, showers and bike racks in new commercial properties and renovations. Our workplace went through a masterplan for major renovation. Yippee, new facilities I thought. Wrong!! It's a State Government employer.

The State Government exempted all state government buildings from the new laws :roll: :evil: :evil:
Mandatory helmet law?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:06 am

il padrone wrote:The State Government exempted all state government buildings from the new laws :roll: :evil: :evil:
Tell me about it.
There are facilities available in the new building, laundry, showers, big lockers, a gym and a secure if weatherbeaten cage. Thing is, only the 'orizontal elevator operators are allowed access :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

waynohh

Postby waynohh » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:49 pm

I wear mostly pierre cardin's from trade secret too and they don't get creased.

You should just look into an cleaning/ironing service that picks up your dirty shirts from the office and returns them to you clean and ironed.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:26 pm

A new range of cycling clothing is coming out.
Mandatory helmet law?

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:40 am

tmlewin has videos on how to fold your shirts properly as well. I like to keep them in the original plastic sheets. that way i can throw them in the draw at work and whenever i need a freshie. its ready.

www.tmlewin.co.uk