Heart rate levels

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
gtfpv cycler

Re: Heart rate levels

Postby gtfpv cycler » Mon May 23, 2011 5:28 pm

all this heart rate talk , i'm sure it has its place , but surely your body tells you when your over doing it , and forces you to slow down right .?????? wouldnt a resting heart rate, or recovery time ( heart rate) be more appropriate readings for the normal person.

TrekStar

Postby TrekStar » Mon May 23, 2011 7:49 pm

gtfpv cycler wrote:all this heart rate talk , i'm sure it has its place , but surely your body tells you when your over doing it , and forces you to slow down right .?????? wouldnt a resting heart rate, or recovery time ( heart rate) be more appropriate readings for the normal person.
Well it sure did when I was climbing that hill I tell ya! Half way up, my HR max was 185, and I was breathing hard and just managing to spin and keep going at around 8km/hr.

My last reading for resting heart rate was around 50-55. That was about a month ago. I will do a proper check for recovery time when I get a chance.

Davobel

Postby Davobel » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:49 am

I use the Phil Maffetone method to determine HR:
The 180-Formula
1. Subtract the age from 180 (180 – age).
2. Modify this number by selecting among the following categories the one that best matches the patient’s health
and fitness profile:
- If the patient has or is recovering from a major illness (heart disease, any operation, any hospital stay, etc.) or
is on any regular medication (discussed later), subtract an additional 10.
- If the patient has not exercised before, has been inconsistent with exercise, has been exercising with injury, has
regressed in training or competition, gets more than two colds or bouts of flu per year, or has allergies, subtract
an additional 5.
- If the patient has been exercising regularly (at least four times weekly) for up to two years without any of the
problems just mentioned, keep the number (180 – age) the same.
- If the patient is a competitive athlete who has been training for more than two years without any of the
problems listed and has made progress in competition without injury, add 5.
For example, if the patient is 30 years old and fits into the second category, we have the following:
180 – 30 = 150. Then 150 – 5 = 145 bpm.

This gives you a general idea. But it is really best to do some reading so you get an understanding of what the different zones mean. It is a broad subject but not too complicated, really.

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:35 pm

I have a bit of a question re: heart rate.

If i am 25(close to 26) should i be able to maintain a heart rate of 185bpm for 10 minutes? I know its a broad question but i haven't done a max heart rate test yet. Im training with power(just started, need to get a program sorted) but it would still be good to know my cardio arrangement for when and if i try and run 10km fun runs.

I was just analyzing a ride on strava looking my best efforts for 5 and 10 min periods.

5 Minute
Elapsed Time00:05:00
Resting Time00:00:00
Average Speed 21.1 km/h
VAMN/A
Average HR183 bpm
Power404 watts

10 Minute
Elapsed Time00:10:00
Average Speed19.3 km/h
VAMN/A
Average HR185 bpm
Power374 watts

cheers for the help.

Edit: of a morning i have tested my wake up heart rate it is most of the time around 44, but lately because of my man flu its up into the 50's

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:05 pm

(AT) Doggatas HR rates depend on age, health etc.

i find that my HR rate is a lot higher running, but the fitter i get the lower it gets for long runs8-12kms. i am a few years older and can run with a HR for 175 for over half an hour.

get a h HR monitor and go for a run......ie the Glenorchy 10 in July

my advice is to not compare running HR to cycling HR
when do we stop for coffee???

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:08 pm

doggatas wrote:If i am 25(close to 26) should i be able to maintain a heart rate of 185bpm for 10 minutes? I know its a broad question but i haven't done a max heart rate test yet. Im training with power(just started, need to get a program sorted) but it would still be good to know my cardio arrangement for when and if i try and run 10km fun runs.
What HR anyone can / can't sustain is an individual thing. Only you can tell us what you are able to sustain.

Davobel

Postby Davobel » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:54 pm

I was just analyzing a ride on strava looking my best efforts for 5 and 10 min periods.
Regarding these numbers, they are completely inaccurate; you can't put out 404 watts and only be traveling at 21.1kph. According to my bike calculator at 98kg rider weight you will be going over 39kph. On my Wattbike, on a recovery ride I average 150Watts at 27kph, HR at 135 and I'm almost 50 y.o. Your going a lot faster than 21.1 :)
5 Minute
Elapsed Time00:05:00
Average Speed 21.1 km/h
VAMN/A
Average HR183 bpm
Power404 watts

10 Minute
Elapsed Time00:10:00
Average Speed19.3 km/h
VAMN/A
Average HR185 bpm
Power374 watts

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:28 am

haha, was going up a hill.

The little i know about power is that it is not relative to speed. E.g. I could be sitting in the bunch on the flats doing 134 watts sitting on 40+km/h or i could be going up a 15% hill doing 600watts for 12km/h and thats the beauty of power.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:53 am

doggatas wrote:haha, was going up a hill.

The little i know about power is that it is not relative to speed. E.g. I could be sitting in the bunch on the flats doing 134 watts sitting on 40+km/h or i could be going up a 15% hill doing 600watts for 12km/h and thats the beauty of power.
i don't want to have to race you in a sprint :( to have ze power
when do we stop for coffee???

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:06 pm

Haha, don't worry, I wouldn't be there at the end.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:03 am

And then thare are people like me, who has a max HR of 148.
I asked a cardiologist about it. He said it's a well-described variant, then gleefully informed me that it also carried an increased risk of sudden cardiac death.
He was just jealous that my cholesterol was better than his.
You have officially become your parents.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:47 am

I have come to the conclusion that taking any sports type heart rate monitor as gospel in regard to actual heart rate is simply not reliable unless your heart is perfectly healthy.

I’m 67 years of age and during crit sprints my HR monitor would regularly register a HR of 180 and at one stage a max of 196.

After having a few tests done including a 24 hour Holter Monitor test, it turns out my max HR is 145 and the HR monitor was showing a false result due to my heart going into ectopic heart beats that were unable to be interpreted by my HR monitor.

HR monitors are of dubious value unless used by healthy individuals that have been correctly tested for their max heart rate, and then use it primarely to exercise within specific heart rate zones as part of a tailored exercise programme.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:24 am

doggatas wrote:haha, was going up a hill.

The little i know about power is that it is not relative to speed.<-----------------------------------------------------------> thats the beauty of power.
I have only very recently started taking the advice of a professional coach with a very successful history both in his personal achievements (Elite A & masters A level) & his "students"/ clients. For the record he is 42yo.

The very first thing he told my partner & I to do was throw away the HR monitor. His only requirement for his coaching techniques was to use a CycleOps power meter.

He told us that HR training gives him nothing substantial to work with & the data was useless. From past data & results his opinion was HR training is a thing of the past (80's--90's) & an inaccurate tool for training & coaching alike.

He also said that if he couldn't improve our performance he'd refund our money.

Wheels are almost built.

Time will tell.

Good riddance HR strap.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.