Just moved from SA to Dandenong Ranges

legsrburnin

Just moved from SA to Dandenong Ranges

Postby legsrburnin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:14 pm

Hi Guys
I'll have my roadie and my MTB here on the weekend. Will be ready to ride from next week.
I hear there are some amazing MTB tracks leaving from around Olinda?
I know about Lysterfield Park, but have never been. Anyone keen to show me around? I'm a racer who has just had 6 months off after moving back to Oz from New York, then from SA to Vic this weekend.
I'm also a keen roadie looking for a regular ride around the area. Maybe a moderate 60k's or so until I get my legs again, but then I'll be happy to ride with the fast guys.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good MTB Club and a good group (I mean friendly!) of roadies or road club for regular rides?
I havent raced on the road, but might consider it.
I'm itching to get fit again.
To give an idea of my level. I guess I would consider myself a good MTBer (Raced US Nationals and Windham NY World Cup round in my age group). I'm a moderate roadie. Avg 20mph over 50miles (sorry, 32kmh over 80km) when I'm fit and training.
Keep in mind guys, just had 6 mths of doing NOTHING so not expecting to be back there for a few months!

Would love to hook up for some rides!

aroes

Re: Just moved from SA to Dandenong Ranges

Postby aroes » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:32 pm

Do you like hills?

As you can probably tell from your surrounds, the Dandenongs are a climber's dream......The Wall, 1 in 20, Devil's Elbows, Terrys Ave, Inverness Rd....go hit a few of these and you'll have your fitness back in no time!

I don't race or ride in a bunch so can't help you there, but I head to the Dandenongs often to climb. I'm no KOM, but I'd totally be up for a ride. Weather permitting I'll prob head out that way at some point next week

PM me if you like

pagey

Postby pagey » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:55 pm

Welcome to the area. We have a bunch of guys that regularly ride MTB at Lysty and Beaconsfield as well as Sylvan.

On the road this is one of my regular rides over the Dandy Ranges - http://www.bikemap.net/route/1008506 - I'm always happy for company.

As far as clubs go - I'm a member of Carnegie-Caulfield who hold road races during the winter and Crits during the summer. They also have a great group ride on Sundays down past Frankston and back.
cheers
Pagey

legsrburnin

Postby legsrburnin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:05 am

Thanks guys

Getting our house in order is taking a little longer than I'd planned, but I'll start on my rollers tonight and hopefully get out for a ride this weekend. MTB or road.

I'd like to start a regular early morning weekday road ride. Say 6-7.30am or something. Start easy and get into it for the last 45mins or so.
I'm in Upwey if anyones interested!
A nice 40km or so to start the day.
PM me if interested. I'll start from Monday 20/6/11.
No loop decided yet, but I'm keen to learn the area.
2010 Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er - 8.0kg, 2002 Cannondale CAAD6 R4000Si, 2010 Cannondale CAAD9 4 (for sale)
Lefty heaven!

Fraggle

Postby Fraggle » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Are you living on the Mountain. If so then getting a regular group ride going during the week might be a little hard.

But check out Croydon Cycleworks and Bayswater Cycles they should point you in the direction you want to go.

legsrburnin

Postby legsrburnin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks Fraggle.
I'm no stranger to an early morning solo 50 or so, but I like to mix up all the solo rides with some group rides.

I'm in Upwey so I'm not right on the mountain. I'll drop in to Bayswater or Croydon bike shops when I have some timein the daylight.
2010 Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er - 8.0kg, 2002 Cannondale CAAD6 R4000Si, 2010 Cannondale CAAD9 4 (for sale)
Lefty heaven!