Ultimate interval training

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: Ultimate interval training

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:30 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
ZepinAtor wrote: I've found it very difficult, but achievable to currently hold 100+ cadence for 4hrs on our regular Sunday ride.
Why are you concerned about holding a set cadence?
The coach we have started using is just giving us some usefull training methods until the power hubs are built up. We have not had any formal style of coaching before & he said these rides would be good character building for us until he can determine our power output through the WKO training software. I also think from what he has told us we will be doing some high cadence set wattage workouts & would like us to practice holding a set cadence over a period of time. 4hrs sucks a little, but seems effective so far.
OK.

Cadence is a red herring though. Effort & power is what matters.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:42 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote: OK.

Cadence is a red herring though. Effort & power is what matters.
He has similar opinions to yours from what I can tell so far. He always talks power & effort. Definitely not HR & occasionaly cadence efforts.

Are you a coach Alex ?
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:34 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:Are you a coach Alex ?
Yes, that is my full time profession.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:36 pm

Trust your coach, be open and honest, give them feedback on how you are going/feeling and don't be afraid to ask questions about your training.

You'll go better if you execute on a good plan and work hard :)

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:51 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
ZepinAtor wrote:Are you a coach Alex ?
Yes, that is my full time profession.
Well that was a stupid question :oops: just look at your signature DOH !

As for feed back he wants the power data after every training session through Training Peaks WKO+ (version 3.0)

So far (only 3 weeks) we've exchanged about 30+ emails, several phone conversations & an initial 1 on 1 afternoon (6hrs) including a personal assessment on & off the bike. Full diet review, goals, dreams, past athletic history etc etc. Very thorough & quite daunting at first. Probably a part of your every day routine Alex ?

All I can say is having to answer to someone on a daily basis & pay them $$ has seen a 100% commitment to his every request, or at least attempt the session honestly with accurate feed back. (eg Hi Gary, Did the 5 x 20 pedal revolution max efforts tonight. Was in a bad frame of mind, but did it regardless, tomorrow is another day. regards Zep)

Thanks for the advice Alex.

Sorry for the thread hijack.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:48 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:Very thorough & quite daunting at first. Probably a part of your every day routine Alex ?
It depends on the level of service one purchases and price.

Some clients the interaction is daily or at least every other day, others it might be much less frequent. Depends on need, budget and commitment.

If they coach like that, then I'm sure you'll do well. Stay committed to the process.

What annoys me are the ones that sign up many dozens of clients just to throw them plans off the shelf. It happens. And they go away thinking that's how coaches operate.

Communication is key. If you don't have enough, it's either because coach isn't doing the job, or you haven't paid for that level of interaction or have not had expectations fairly set to start with. If you don't "gel" then that happens, no coach is suitable for all athletes. Having a really good long talk before starting is a good idea - that way you can assess whether or not you are likely to be able to work together. Don't have to get on like buddies, but it has to be a functional relationship. No one is perfect, so keep the lines open.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:41 am

JV911 wrote:works out to 5 x 2:06 at MAP
managed 4.5 intervals on friday evening

the last 30 seconds of each interval is the longest 30 seconds ever :shock:

looking forward to another session later in the week
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->