Tubeless MTB Conversion.

toolonglegs

Tubeless MTB Conversion.

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:15 pm

I was so impressed with my Tubeless Road conversion that I thought I would do the MTB as well.
OMGosh...it is so easy!.
Stans X-Country Kit I think it is that I used...although all I got was the rubber sealant strips as I have a tonne of nylon tape from Bunnings and plenty of Stans Liquid.
Pull off old tyre,regret that they are still in really good condition but will look good on wifeys beast.
Pull off old rim tape...clean up rim with wire brush and wet and dry...not as important to have in perfect like it was on the road rims.Put Nylon tape around the rimtwice while pulling tight.I found it easier to drill hole thru the tape for the valve hole as nylon tape can split easily.The tape is only there to stop the rubber rim strip from distorting into the spoke holes.The tape isn't for sealing like on the road rims.Then fit the rubber rim strip...easy but make sure that it is centered all the way round.I did all this while wheel is sitting in a mag trainer...makes it easier.Fit one side of tubeless tyre...soap up the bead / rim area with warm water and dishwashing liquid.Soap up other side of tyre,the more the merrier.Fit other side of the tyre till about 90% on.Pour in about 75ml of Stans No Tube liquid.Fit tyre fully.Push the tyre into the rim to make sure it is all sitting well.Inflate with CO2 canister as fast as poss...well thats what i did anyway.Make sure bead of tyre is siting well all the way around the rim.
Wait wait wait for it to stop raining so I can go for a test ride :roll:

Total Cost Aprrox...$70 each for tyres (Maxxis). $140 for the tubeless kit complete.

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:44 pm

Seriously considering it after another pinch flat the other week. Which maxxis tyres did you get?

The thing that worries me is cost per km. The tyres I'm using at the minute are losing their edges after 450km. The front is still good (but cut up in places) and the rear is looking pretty shabby from riding over such rocky ground. Will have to change it before the end of March.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:06 pm

Larsen TT up front & Cross Mark on the rear.I dont ride my mtb much at all so not too worried about cost per km...more worried about no pinch flats when I race :roll:

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:09 pm

I've just been reviewing an article I bookmarked some time ago. Thought I'd share it with you guys .....

http://www.waltworks.com/dev/faq/gotubeless.pdf

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:16 pm

Personally for my size I would stick to Tubeless specific tyres as they have a tighter stronger bead...apart from that why not.

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:50 pm

Decided going to give the cheaper way a go first (as in cheap tubeless thread) and see how that works, if no luck then will go for the expensive option. Just as soon as I decide what tyres to go for.....

Let us know how your first ride goes TLL.