Weak knee muscle when walking.

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
polishbiker

Weak knee muscle when walking.

Postby polishbiker » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:51 pm

Hi there,

For the last week i noticed something strange, when i walk my left knee/muscle feels like its going to fall off, bizarre feeling. Only when i walk i can feel this, like something is not 'connected' properly.

I cycle at least 5 days a week soI probably do more cycling than walking so i wonder if its possible for a muscles used for walking to decrease if not being used as often as 'cycling' muscles?

Could this have something to do with wrong cleat/shoe setup? Think it only started happening in a week or so after i did 240km on a different bike that i dont use often.

Would a sports doctor be the person to see about this? Bit worried.

Thanks.

eeksll

Re: Weak knee muscle when walking.

Postby eeksll » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:56 pm

A little bit more info/description might be more helpful.

A GP would probably be cheaper if you just want to know if there is anything wrong.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:14 pm

Interesting presentation. Apart from the feeling, do you experience weakness during cycling? Do you have similar sensation when you stand and pump on the bike?

If there's anything real, the first thing to do would be to have a review with a competent GP to exclude medical pathology. There are many muscular and skeletal diseases that may present this way. After that, see a bike fitter as needed.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:29 pm

polishbiker wrote: Could this have something to do with wrong cleat/shoe setup? Think it only started happening in a week or so after i did 240km on a different bike that i dont use often.
IANAD (I am not a doctor), but...

I think I know what you mean. Had a similar feeling from my new bike when I swapped to SPD-SL pedals from SPD. Happened both times after long (200km+ rides). Seems to have been caused by cleat position - I have duck feet (point slightly outward).

Maybe rest for a few days. If the feeling is still there then go to doctor of some sort. If not (or if so, also), measure up the bike your ride all the time and set up the bike you don't to be the same fit...?

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:10 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Well, i normally use my road bike, have done thousands of kilometeres and use it on daily basis, have no issues.

The other bike is my touring bike that i have not used for months and i did feel some uncomfortable feeling while on the way back (6hour ride) so i think it does have something to do with the cleat setup (use different shoes/pedals when on my road bike and different on my touring). I noticed the left cleat was slighlty on a different position as the right one, adjusted it to be the same.

When i ride my road bike now i feel no discomfort, only when walking.

It seems ok in the morning when walking but seems worse later during the day.

Think i am going to stop cycling for the next few days and then get a proper bike fit on the touring bike and see if things improve.

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:57 pm

Well, knee is back to normal, also been using my touring bicycle for a week + and have no more issues, got a bike fit done and it seemed to have done the job :)