precious commuters

jules21

precious commuters

Postby jules21 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:24 am

with the growing popularity in cycling, i have noticed an increase in, what i like to call "precious commuters". these are riders who are overly sensitive about the behaviour of other cyclists, particularly on shared paths.

now let's be honest here - some cyclists on shared paths are rude p*****s. there's one guy i see every now and then who screams abuse at pedestrians as he hurls himself down a slope at breakneck speed - maybe his wife is due to give birth or something and it keeps getting delayed? these people are fair game.

i'm not blameless - i make mistakes. but on the whole, i try to be considerate. i slow down for peds where the path is tight, or they look vulnerable (old or pushing kids in a pram). i say thank you when they move for me, i use my bell to warn others of my approach.

but when i overtook a guy today on his bike, he berated me (mildly). it was wet, but the path was adequately wide (with marked centreline) and i didn't blow past him. i did actually try to call out "passing" but i was a bit breathless after a hill and in the mornings, sometimes my voicebox isn't warmed up yet so not much came out. anyway, what's the big deal? there was sufficient room.

the other day i took a phone call while riding along a particularly straight, wide and mostly empty shared path. riding no hands as i chatting (it was an important call), there was nothing to hit. yet another rider came past and gave me an absolute serve. i know technically she was right, but honestly, there was clearly no real danger to anyone. i caught up with her later and she was very polite, but then insulted me as i rode off (she stayed put) - classy.

be safe out there guys and girls, but don't be precious.
Last edited by jules21 on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

CommuRider

Re: commuting princesses

Postby CommuRider » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:26 am

jules21 wrote: be safe out there guys, but don't be a princess.
I object to the hijacking of the word "princess". Given most commuters are MEN, can we just say a$$holes? :twisted:
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:34 am

but guys can be princesses :)

a$$holes include the guy above who screams abuse at peds. he wasn't included in who i was classifying as princesses - by which i meant overly sensitive commuters who feel the need to tick everyone off about anything and everything. maybe "overly sensitive commuters", but i think it lacks that je ne sais quois.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:35 am

Precious :-)

gtfpv cycler

Postby gtfpv cycler » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:37 am

seeing this is a whinge fest , this will save me starting a thread on the subject of rea cycling princesses !!!!
why dont they give the courtousy wave and acknowledge other cyclists , us men all do , women dont !!! whats the go here . do they think if a man waves at them going the other direction on a bicycle we're trying to pick up sex or something , or are they just plain right rude , or shy , or i am ugly . i just havent worked that one out yet , my advice to women though , is get a bone up ya , and wave . it is called manners . :|

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:40 am

I guess 'princess' was selected because it is one of the names people can be called without offending the 'family friendly' language requirements on this forum. Maybe it could be 'Oversensitive Commuters'.

I do know what you mean though Jules. Recently I was behind a girl who was riding no handed, waiting for a safe time to overtake. An oncoming roadie who was wearing a cap and had his helmet dangling from his bars yelled at her for being no-handed and she in turn abused him for not wearing a helmet. Maybe a result of our overregulated lives, the government doesn't trust it's citizens to make decisions for themselves, therefore we don't trust each other to either.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:42 am

I always give my greeting nod to my fellow cyclists :-P Those who don't return my greeting generally look dodgy, wear sunnies or look as if they're training for the TdF. (you know who you are!)

(greeting thread needs reviving)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:43 am

CommuRider wrote:Precious :-)
done! with apologies to anyone who likes to wear angel wings and tiaras :)

CommuRider

Re: precious commuters

Postby CommuRider » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:45 am

ROFL :lol:

gtfpv cycler

Postby gtfpv cycler » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:01 pm

they all see . and most look shocked that i would wave at them like it is inappropriate. but men of all ages on cylces wave or nod at all other cyclists . it makes you feel good . women make you feel like you shouldn't have waved/or nodded . this i have noticed , if they wave back they seem uncomfortable waving / like its a shock that someone waved .

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:07 pm

I have little doubt that it's the old fear of ulterior motives. A bloke waving to another bloke is OK - equals. But a bloke waving to a woman (stranger) is just a bloke trying some sort of 'come-on' approach. Sad, but it is the ways of our world.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

gtfpv cycler

Postby gtfpv cycler » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:14 pm

il padrone wrote:I have little doubt that it's the old fear of ulterior motives. A bloke waving to another bloke is OK - equals. But a bloke waving to a woman (stranger) is just a bloke trying some sort of 'come-on' approach. Sad, but it is the ways of our world.

yeah thats probably it . and it is sad . i guess men do try and pickup anywhere , my wife has been approached at the servo , whilst filling up her car , when our kids were toddlers in the back seat , she felt threatened , so i guess its happened to many women and may be understandable if they feel threatened .
in some ways it is very sad , in others its very rude . but i guess its a fact

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:35 pm

CommuRider wrote:I always give my greeting nod to my fellow cyclists :-P Those who don't return my greeting generally look dodgy, wear sunnies or look as if they're training for the TdF. (you know who you are!)

(greeting thread needs reviving)
You stalking me? Generally, I'll respond with a nod or a "Morning/Afternoon/Evening..." unless I've got too little breath to respond.

Princesses are people who take time off because it's too wet/cold/windy/humid/hot/sultry/perfect to ride. They also have a distinctly feline quality :)

I also find that those who complain loudest are usually just as guilty as those who have, allegedly, wronged them! A case in point, when I got told off for, in the opinion of the teller offerer ( ;) ), going too fast along the path to King St. His high horse and holier than thou attitude then promptly rode across the intersection against the lights!

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:38 pm

goneriding wrote: Princesses are people who take time off because it's too wet/cold/windy/humid/hot/sultry/perfect to ride. They also have a distinctly feline quality :)
I was happy to be precious earlier this week GR. Next time you decide to catch the train, I'll remind you who's the princess in this forum! You have been warned. :twisted:

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:58 pm

CommuRider wrote:
goneriding wrote: Princesses are people who take time off because it's too wet/cold/windy/humid/hot/sultry/perfect to ride. They also have a distinctly feline quality :)
I was happy to be precious earlier this week GR. Next time you decide to catch the train, I'll remind you who's the princess in this forum! You have been warned. :twisted:
Yes dear! I'll be sure to wear the hat if it is so deserved.

Is that catch the train as in chasing it down, passing it and then dropping it?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:45 pm

gtfpv cycler wrote:they all see . and most look shocked that i would wave at them like it is inappropriate. but men of all ages on cylces wave or nod at all other cyclists . it makes you feel good . women make you feel like you shouldn't have waved/or nodded . this i have noticed , if they wave back they seem uncomfortable waving / like its a shock that someone waved .
I sense this too. I've given up waving to most people and try not to even look at women in case they are offended by my look. As for waving at women, no chance. :roll: I find ignoring most people and concentrating on my ride is working for me. Sounds sad I know, but it gets difficult to keep waving and being friendly to people who obviously seem to take offense at it, or at least ignore you.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:47 pm

il padrone wrote:I have little doubt that it's the old fear of ulterior motives. A bloke waving to another bloke is OK - equals. But a bloke waving to a woman (stranger) is just a bloke trying some sort of 'come-on' approach. Sad, but it is the ways of our world.
I can't see how since I'm going 30+ in one direction and she is going in the other. Unlikely to see them ever again too.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:51 pm

You're right of course Nobody. But who are we to fathom the fears and logic of the fairer sex :?: :P
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:58 pm

CommuRider wrote:
jules21 wrote: be safe out there guys, but don't be a princess.
I object to the hijacking of the word "princess".
Harden up princess. :P

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:09 pm

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:11 pm

Nobody wrote:
gtfpv cycler wrote:they all see . and most look shocked that i would wave at them like it is inappropriate. but men of all ages on cylces wave or nod at all other cyclists . it makes you feel good . women make you feel like you shouldn't have waved/or nodded . this i have noticed , if they wave back they seem uncomfortable waving / like its a shock that someone waved .
I sense this too. I've given up waving to most people and try not to even look at women in case they are offended by my look. As for waving at women, no chance. :roll: I find ignoring most people and concentrating on my ride is working for me. Sounds sad I know, but it gets difficult to keep waving and being friendly to people who obviously seem to take offense at it, or at least ignore you.
Sounds precious to me. :-P

Anyway, women in pairs/groups generally don't nod back. The little old ladies on their nice cruiser bikes do nod back. Anyway, if you're a man and you don't nod back at me when I do, I'll be thinking w*nker, hope your CF frame cracks soon because you overtightened the seat post :-P

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:27 pm

CommuRider wrote:Anyway, if you're a man and you don't nod back at me when I do, I'll be thinking w*nker, hope your CF frame cracks soon because you overtightened the seat post :-P
I won't notice since I've already done the "thousand mile stare" past you by the time I've got close. If you think I ride CF, then you don't know of me at all. Don't even ride a drop bar regularly these days. (Not that it should matter to you whether you know me or not. :) ) You should be happy about it anyway, since I'm definitely not stalking you then. Wouldn't want to be stalking women by a friendly wave. :roll: You can blame other women's attitudes/egos/fears if you don't get a wave back from some/many men.
Last edited by Nobody on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:40 pm

Who does wave and ride? Now that's overtly familiar to the "stranger nod" :roll:

And that surreptitious I'll do a mini wave with one's fingers (sooooooo lame). Greetings thread need reviving! C'mon, half of the men I see don't bother nodding.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:44 pm

CommuRider wrote:C'mon, half of the men I see don't bother nodding.
There you go. At least half the men aren't trying to "pick you up" or stalk you. Be happy. :mrgreen:

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:47 pm

This thread got OT quickly because of @gpftvcycler's preciousness. That's all I can say. Anyway, why does he want women cyclists to greet him when he has a wifey waiting for him? Not sure if wifey will want to know he's been greeting and nodding to all these female cyclists (but will be relieved to know it's not being reciprocated!)