zozza

Re: Macarthur Collegians ITT - 18th June, 2011

Postby zozza » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:25 pm

Report ??

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:11 pm

As requested.

Day dawned bright and sunny......and windy. Damn, thought it might have eased off today.
Rolled up at Menangle at about 12:30 and the wind was a classic WSW at about 20km/h. Not too bad at the start line, but a quick trip up the road saw it increase to about 30-40km/h. As the course basically heads in a SSW direction for the outward leg, it was going to be a tough 16 minutes until the turnaround.

I was #8 out of the gate, and once away, I managed to quickly get up to 45km/h into the headwind. Adrenalin is a rush!

Reality quickly set in and I was sitting on about 85-90% of MHR after 5 minutes and the speed had washed off somewhat.
10 minutes into the race and the minute man from behind ( a regular A grader) had caught and passed me. I used him as a bit of a rabbit and managed to stay within 30-40 meters until the turnaround.
Damn, a whole minute slower than last year! (17:22). Even considering the wind I was a bit disappointed.

Once I was heading back, the wind was my friend (but also everyone else's). The speed increased and with 5km to go I spotted my minute man up ahead. Up another gear and I started to push to try to catch him before the finish.
Once on the final straight, and with just over a km to go, I sailed past him and powered for home, but also realised I wouldn't break the 30 minute mark which was my goal for this ride.

Crossed the line with a time of 30:53 (my time, not official) which considering the wind was not so bad. 40 seconds slower than last year.

The good news is that I beat a couple of guys that I regularly compete with. We are all about the same standard, so it was good to get one up on them.

Winning time was 24:24 ( I think) by Chris Cook, who did the ride with an aero helmet and full disc rear wheel. How he managed to hang on to the thing amazed me. There was times I was being blown to the wrong side of the road. God knows what he had to put up with.

Saw Chucky and Spizz out there, along with Shaun. Good to see you guys again. Spizz/Chuck - we'll have to go out for a ride again soon. Miss the hurt you guys turn on.

Cheers,

Kev902107834526

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:58 pm

Well done Kev, windy conditions would of made it much harder.

Chris Cooks results are almost 1/2 minute quicker than last years, despite the wind.

Can't find the results, have looked here: http://www.mccc.macarthurcycling.com/Race%20Results/
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:39 am

This years results will take a few days to sort out and post, but should be up this week.

Yeah, he's a machine alright.

Time to head out for some recovery riding.

Kev.