Cycling Express - New online shop to compete with UK....

HAKS

Cycling Express - New online shop to compete with UK....

Postby HAKS » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:28 pm

Been reading a few other forums about a new AUS online site starting up which will aim to compete with Wiggle/c r c/PBK including a price matching service. Rumours are free postage over $100 and stock will be out of a warehouse in Melbourne. Here is a facebook page, launch time is to concide with TdF in 2weeks.

http://www.facebook.com/cyclingexpress#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ss?sk=wall

http://blog.cycleexpress.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cyclingexpress wrote:Thanks for all the well wishes guys. We're proud to announce that our range will include: BMC, Bianchi, BH and Azzurri bikes. SRAM, Shimano, Mavic, Reynolds, Zipp, Garmin, Cateye, Limar, Giro, Maxxis, Michelin, Continental, Look, Luois Garneau and more!
Thoughts? I'll happily send my business there if the prices are competitive and service is good :)

Note: Justin Fox - if you read this I've seen your posts on other sites about spreading the word hence this thread. Feel free to correct any of my information if necessary.
Last edited by AUbicycles on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated Post Title - no longer Australian
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

CommuRider

Re: Cycling Express - New AUS online shop to compete with UK

Postby CommuRider » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:33 pm

How about Brooks of England stuff?
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:37 pm

Can't see how they can compete with those UK mail order stores when distributors are controlling local prices. I suspect hype, unfortunately.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

petal665

Postby petal665 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:14 am

And even if they did compete I would predict they would lose money hand over fist and not last long. It's been tried before, even Probikekit setup an online store in Australia and that only lasted a few months.

bura

Postby bura » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:01 am

sogood wrote:Can't see how they can compete with those UK mail order stores when distributors are controlling local prices. I suspect hype, unfortunately.
Good point, why does the ACCC allow the distributors to monopolise the market!?

There's a couple of ways I've noticed Australian stores trying to compete with Wiggle, c r c, PBK. They stock a limited range of premium brand loss-leaders to get attention, then sell basic house-brand/no-name products at reasonable prices (but on which some profit can be made). That way you can also claim to price-match o/s because you only have a small overlap of identical products, the rest are labels that aren't on Wiggle, c r c etc.

It would be great if this site were just a full stock premium-brand-only store but as sogood points out we have our hands tied by distributors here. If they somehow manage it I will support them.

These international brands are shooting themselves in the foot. Whatever lump sum they get for signing over exclusive rights must be relatively small compared with the negative associations and frustration they create for Australian customers.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:29 pm

Cell and T7 can compete with UK shops on some things so it must be doable.

Maybe Cycling Express are buying their stock from one or even several of the UK shops? How many times have we heard LBS' say they pay more than what PBK or Wiggle sell for.

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:30 pm

I'd be willing to give them (Cycling Express) a go.

I have had good experience with Cell online - super quick delivery, great pricing and they let you know what is going on from placement of order right up to delivery. T7, Hmmm...Meh.

If this new player can provide a good service with a decent range of products, that I can buy from my desk at work and have it arrive in a day or two - i'm happy
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:01 pm

Interesting comment about Cell. The 2 times I used then they were utterly useless from go to wo with communication and dispatching the order (took over a week to dispatch).

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:22 am

I've bought from both Cell and T7 a few times, no problem with either as far as service but T7 seems to sell poor quality (seconds?) clothing. Can't wait for Cycling Express, hopefully they will have the range and competive pricing in comparison to the UK shops and not just one or two things like Cell & T7 seem to have.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:37 pm

I have some serious concerns with this model of response to the problems face by the Australian Bicycle industry by internet sales.
Let’s consider where this will leave the LBS, if customers can purchase online from this new website at similar prices to O/S how does this help. The LBS is still not able to compete so has no incentive to do so. The result will most likely mean that they will just not stock anything that is for sale, or if they do it will be at a premium (i.e. if you want it quick then it will cost you extra).
It actually encourages shops to drop stock and move to a repair only model.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:51 pm

jcjordan wrote:I have some serious concerns with this model of response to the problems face by the Australian Bicycle industry by internet sales.
Let’s consider where this will leave the LBS, if customers can purchase online from this new website at similar prices to O/S how does this help. The LBS is still not able to compete so has no incentive to do so. The result will most likely mean that they will just not stock anything that is for sale, or if they do it will be at a premium (i.e. if you want it quick then it will cost you extra).
IMO I think they are already doing that with the prices they charge. Whether this is controlled by the importer/distributor or the LBS is another matter all together, but pretty much everything is already stupendously overpriced. The number of ppl on this forum that say they only ever use a LBS for service/repair highlights this fact. Therefore if an AUS online retailer can charge me the same as a UK store yet get it to me in 2days and offer a efficient warranty service why would I ever use a LBS unless it was an emergency? I'm already happy to wait 7days for goods from the other side of the world, 2days from a city a few hundred KM down the highway will be great :). Of course what they stock and the prices are yet to be seen but i'll be keeping an eye on them for sure.

2c

cpical

Postby cpical » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:03 pm

HAKS wrote:
jcjordan wrote:I have some serious concerns with this model of response to the problems face by the Australian Bicycle industry by internet sales.
IMO I think they are already doing that with the prices they charge. Whether this is controlled by the importer/distributor or the LBS is another matter all together, but pretty much everything is already stupendously overpriced. The number of ppl on this forum that say they only ever use a LBS for service/repair highlights this fact. Therefore if an AUS online retailer can charge me the same as a UK store yet get it to me in 2days and offer a efficient warranty service why would I ever use a LBS unless it was an emergency? I'm already happy to wait 7days for goods from the other side of the world, 2days from a city a few hundred KM down the highway will be great :). Of course what they stock and the prices are yet to be seen but i'll be keeping an eye on them for sure.

2c
I still buy at LBS, but have been taken for rides more than once. Charging $20 (incl a $5 discount as a good customer, ie 3 bikes bought in that specific LBS) for 3 tyre levers + sticky patches, then $120 for 2 gatorskins, well, I am really not too happy. Last time, I was looking for a Campy cable set (gears + brakes) w/o casings. No, they don't have that. They call another of their shops. No problem, go there, they have that in stock. Get there. They look for the cables for a good 15 min. They only have a set with casings. "I will see if I can make you a good price for that". $80 !!! No thanks! That was my last visit to this LBS!

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:42 pm

cpical wrote:
HAKS wrote:

2c
I still buy at LBS, but have been taken for rides more than once. Charging $20 (incl a $5 discount as a good customer, ie 3 bikes bought in that specific LBS) for 3 tyre levers + sticky patches, then $120 for 2 gatorskins, well, I am really not too happy. Last time, I was looking for a Campy cable set (gears + brakes) w/o casings. No, they don't have that. They call another of their shops. No problem, go there, they have that in stock. Get there. They look for the cables for a good 15 min. They only have a set with casings. "I will see if I can make you a good price for that". $80 !!! No thanks! That was my last visit to this LBS!
This really does support my point. If the LBS is not able, or willing, to stock products then we are always going to be waiting a period of time.

Using the cables as an example:
Most suppliers only give 30 days to pay off an invoice. This means that for the best pricing the shop needs to sell the items before this day, otherwise they either:
• incur penalties in terms of interest or an inability to purchase more stock till the invoice is paid; or
• have to hold a large amount of resources tied up in stock which is not making money and prevents them for ordering more stock.

This means that if they are to best utilise resources they can only hold limited range of items which are not high turnover.

This will impact on our ability to touch and feel prior to purchase. I think this will impact on the new rider more than anyone else. For example, look at how much difference between the different shoe manufactures. Using myself as an example, I recent purchased a new pair of Bonts, having been a Shimano user for years (never again, but that’s another story). I know what size I am and could happly purchase online, but as it turns out I need a different size in Bonts. New riders, or just someone changing manufactures, which do not have the option to try on will have problem which can potentially put them off riding.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:39 pm

Hope this is of interest, inspired by this thread.
I got an interview with the manager of Cycling Express to find out more.

You can read the inteview with Cycling_Express here.
Cycling is in my BNA

DeivSaiborg

Postby DeivSaiborg » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Just checking guys ... does any of you know which retail store cycling express is attached to / expression of?

Dac

Postby Dac » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:14 pm

Cycling Express has a large retail store (recently expanded) in Bayswater Melbourne that has been serving the local area for six years
Doesn't sound like Bayswater Cycles - is this Azzuri / Learsport? The $2 Shop of bikes?
We will be the only BMC test centre in Victoria

nooooo, not BMC. Like the Reject Shop selling Ferraris, not so good for the brand image

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:22 pm

Interesting report from The Australia Institute:

The rise and rise of online shopping

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:38 pm

After reading "Inteview with Cycling Express" and seeing that one image I get the feeling that this is more about pushing complete bike sales of a couple of brands than parts. If your wanting these brands then good it will be at a fair price no doubt but I have a sneaking suspicion c r c/Wiggles and the likes are still going to be safe getting my $$$ because the items I chase will still be a no show even with this new online store. I am looking forward to there new online store to check out but my hopes are not high at this stage only time will tell if my gut feeling goes away.

Ricky

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:17 am

Lets see how they go, they do have a list of brands posted (on the blog). If this move also encourages other retailers to take up the challenge then it could make the local retail market more attractive.
Cycling is in my BNA

apsilon

Postby apsilon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:08 am

HAKS wrote:Interesting comment about Cell. The 2 times I used then they were utterly useless from go to wo with communication and dispatching the order (took over a week to dispatch).
Had the same experience. Decent price, almost as good as OS so thought I'd do the right thing and give them some support only to be totally let down. Took 2 weeks to ship and that was only because I called them to find out what was going on as I knew the stuff was in stock when I ordered it. Won't use them again.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:39 am

trailgumby wrote:Interesting report from The Australia Institute:

The rise and rise of online shopping
Yes, Table 14 on the prices of a Dura Ace 7900 groupset is particularly interesting. if we take an average of the three lowest overseas online prices ($1564) and compate it to the average of the three lowest domestic prices ($2721) that's a whopping difference!

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:52 am

I thought they were sposed to go live yesterday!?
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:47 pm

apsilon wrote:
HAKS wrote:Interesting comment about Cell. The 2 times I used then they were utterly useless from go to wo with communication and dispatching the order (took over a week to dispatch).
Had the same experience. Decent price, almost as good as OS so thought I'd do the right thing and give them some support only to be totally let down. Took 2 weeks to ship and that was only because I called them to find out what was going on as I knew the stuff was in stock when I ordered it. Won't use them again.
Weird; I've made a few orders (including a bike :)) and never waited longer than a couple of days for dispatch. Latest order was on Saturday night; I had a confirmation email within a few minutes, another on Monday to say my order had been processed and one say it's with the courier this morning.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

bostonceltics

Postby bostonceltics » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:43 pm

MarkG wrote:I thought they were sposed to go live yesterday!?
Hey mate, site should be up this Friday night.

The retail store in Bayswater is now almost 3 times size, massive range and looks awesome, you'd be surprised how good it looks, check it out if you are in the area. And new developments are still in the works also!

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:58 pm

I would love to check out the shop, if you wanna fly me over from Perth!
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"