ride to canberra

Wayfarer

ride to canberra

Postby Wayfarer » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:22 pm

If I was keen, would anyone else be? Maybe do a 60-80km ride on the M7 the week before, just to meet and know what's up, and make sure we can get the distance. Obviously drafting would be faster for all of us, and more riders = more safe. Ride from home to Canberra, then catch a countrylink train back. Total of approximately 260km's, depending where we start from (I'm assuming we start from the M7's beginning). Not planning for anytime soon, but certainly before the end of the year.

Whose keen?
What are these salesmen peddling?

lovemybike

Re: ride to canberra

Postby lovemybike » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:39 pm

Sounds interesting!

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:38 pm

Im thinking of starting around 6am, riding an average of 30km/s (much easier when multiple riders take turns drafting each other), and finishing at approximately 4pm, for a CountryLink train back to Sydney. Inspired by this guy, who did it himself one weekend, on a mountain bike!

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:52 am

That was great! He was hurting at the end but he was lovin' it :)

Old and Rusty

Postby Old and Rusty » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:00 am

I'd love to do this ride but I'd be months away from that kind of stamina. If you're thinking Feb/Mar then I'd be a starter.
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:17 pm

Old and Rusty wrote:I'd love to do this ride but I'd be months away from that kind of stamina. If you're thinking Feb/Mar then I'd be a starter.
If I can give it a go...

Feb/March would be too hot!

zero

Postby zero » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:49 pm

If its after July 31, I'd consider it (I have a secret bailout / spare parts stash option strategically located on the route).

Average speeds of 30 is a lot harder than you might think. Its only feasible on a non windy day - prevailing wind unless its raining is in your face from Moss Vale until you get shelter from the ridge at Lake George. Also you are climbing 600m more to the Tablelands area than you are descending, and then its at best "rolling" country side from then on, punctuated by some long climbs.

Have to be aware that not every bridge on the route has a shoulder too, and you can only book a finite number of bikes back with country link.

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:44 pm

zero wrote:If its after July 31, I'd consider it (I have a secret bailout / spare parts stash option strategically located on the route).

Average speeds of 30 is a lot harder than you might think. Its only feasible on a non windy day - prevailing wind unless its raining is in your face from Moss Vale until you get shelter from the ridge at Lake George. Also you are climbing 600m more to the Tablelands area than you are descending, and then its at best "rolling" country side from then on, punctuated by some long climbs.

Have to be aware that not every bridge on the route has a shoulder too, and you can only book a finite number of bikes back with country link.
Oh. :?

zero

Postby zero » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:31 pm

lovemybike wrote:
Oh. :?
Its quite doable - don't mind me - I just know exactly where a group will strike the wind if its a windy day, and how much that will hurt, compared to a still day :)
5 riders should have no problem with country link, but I don't think they'll be able to accomodate 30.

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:08 pm

I don't mind good advice at all! :) I'd love to try it but it sounds like a tough ride...

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:23 am

Maybe. Since I live in Bowral would it be cheating to join there and miss most of the hills? :P

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:38 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Maybe. Since I live in Bowral would it be cheating to join there and miss most of the hills? :P
Yes, but no-one will mention it if you shout everyone coffee in Bowral :wink:

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:03 am

zero wrote:If its after July 31, I'd consider it (I have a secret bailout / spare parts stash option strategically located on the route).

Hey, thanks alot for this info mate! I had no idea about the bridges; I followed the whole route on google maps and that didn't catch my eye; I was under the impression that the only place without bike path was a 3km stretch inside Canberra, on the way to the train station. Between 3:00 and 3:20, he says '230km' and '12 hours', which equates roughly to a 20km/h average, while solo on a mtb.. With 3-4 people drafting each other in a line, do you recon it'll be possible to hold 25-27km/h?
DaveOZ wrote:Maybe. Since I live in Bowral would it be cheating to join there and miss most of the hills? :P
Sure, but then we'll have two Dave's on the ride, and I know which one will be drafting which :wink: :lol: According to the CountryLink website, the prices from Canberra to Campbelltown is $33.09 + $12.10 = $45.19 for passenger & bicycle, and takes 3:33 to get back.

zero

Postby zero » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:59 pm

I'd suspect that I could solo it with a moving average of 27 if its not windy. I'm getting really close to be able to do 36 for an hour, so I don't have to work hard to do 27.

However if it was just me, I'd spend at least an hour stationary - 2x meal stops with coffee, toilet breaks and bidon refills, and I also doubt the efficiency advantages of a 4 rider non pro paceline where the fitness of the riders will be variable, especially over such a long distance, where staying tight is pretty hard to sustain.

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:15 pm

zero wrote:I'd suspect that I could solo it with a moving average of 27 if its not windy. I'm getting really close to be able to do 36 for an hour, so I don't have to work hard to do 27.

However if it was just me, I'd spend at least an hour stationary - 2x meal stops with coffee, toilet breaks and bidon refills, and I also doubt the efficiency advantages of a 4 rider non pro paceline where the fitness of the riders will be variable, especially over such a long distance, where staying tight is pretty hard to sustain.
:lol: Yeah, I doubted we'd really be able to hold out a perfect form for that many hours, but having someone (or multiple people) always makes it that much easier. Especially over the 250km distance, where even a 10% drop in air resistance will create a huge drop in fatigue and increase in morale. More reason to test ourselves the weekend before too :) Any idea about the drop out options? I've heard Goulburn is the best place to drop off, and catch a train straight back.

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:51 pm

A mate of mine does a charity ride every year. Northmead (in western Sydney) to Mt Koz. 600km over 6 days. He reckons it's easily doable at a 25 average. Faster than that you start each day hurting alot and it takes longer each day to get into rhythm. So they've worked out that 25 is the most sensible option.

I did Loop The Lake in March at a 30 average but that was just under 90km. And that hurt a bit more than I thought it would. Mind you, there was only 2 of us and I was leading the whole way.

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

timbo

Postby timbo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:05 am

Just be careful of roadworks between The Campbelltown turn off on the F5 and the Narellan road on-off ramps on the M5.
There are signs saying no bicycles allowed and there is no shoulder to ride on, and will be very dodgy.
Either take the Campbelltown exit, and then Blaxland Road before heading up Narellan Road back to the F5, or catch a train to Campbelltown or Macarthur and start from there.

misterhoang

Postby misterhoang » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:27 am

I'm glad i saw this post , i was considering doing this solo after all my mates decided not to do it. I will definitely be very keen to join you on this ride

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:36 am

timbo wrote:Just be careful of roadworks between The Campbelltown turn off on the F5 and the Narellan road on-off ramps on the M5.
There are signs saying no bicycles allowed and there is no shoulder to ride on, and will be very dodgy.
Either take the Campbelltown exit, and then Blaxland Road before heading up Narellan Road back to the F5, or catch a train to Campbelltown or Macarthur and start from there.
Very true, dangerous at the moment :?

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:15 pm

timbo wrote:Just be careful of roadworks between The Campbelltown turn off on the F5 and the Narellan road on-off ramps on the M5.

On that note, Bicycles are supposed to turn off at Brooks Road. However, there is a nice shoulder all the way to campbelltown Road although there are still roadworks on the Campbelltown Road exit so not too sure of the road surface or even if there is room for cyclists. Don't even think about trying to go from the Campbelltown Road exit to Narellan Road exit along the F5. You'll most certainly be hit by a car or truck. There is NO room whatsoever.

This is the route I take to avoid the roadworks along the F5 when riding home to Mt Annan
http://www.strava.com/segments/f5-bypass-668389
2010 BMC SLC01

Old and Rusty

Postby Old and Rusty » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:26 pm

I drove down to Lyneham for work today as we start a scaffold job there soon. The road is pretty good but as previously mentioned there are bridges without shoulders that are 2 lanes each direction and some sections where the shoulder is fairly narrow. I'm heading down in another 3 weeks and I'll make time to note the spots that look sus and distances between servos and bail out points but one things for sure, it's a bit scarey in the wind even in a car.
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:14 pm

Thanks Timbo! Drove down there today to take a look soon as I woke up, and there indeed was no cycle lane :( The road was hardly wide enough for two cars to be there at the same time. Is there a bicycle lane on the alternate route for the whole way Hannos? The construction looks like it'll take at least a month or more on the F5..

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:24 pm

Brooks road exit is single lane off the F5 and up the hill before it swings right. Then is *becomes* a short 2 lane (but barely marked) road downhill to a roundabout.

Williamson Road is 2 lanes but they're very wide lanes. Occasionally I'll have a bogan in a holden (or tradie) ute honk at me as they drive past. Just blow them a kiss if they do.;)

It's single lane left onto Campbelltown Road and it becomes a 900m 6% gradient climb. There's room off the side of the road (for single file riding) pretty much all the way to Queen St. I choose this over Blaxland Road as Blaxxland (in peak hour) is 2 lanes and very busy. (and after 40km of commuting home I'm too tired to try and keep a high pace)

Queen St 2 lanes no shoulder. I've never had a problem taking one entire lane. I move over when I get to the lights at Broughton St.

Broughton St is about 50m of single lane. I suggest taking the entire lane then onto Hurley St (it's the only way you can go).

Hurley St is 2 lanes and again I take the entire lane. Never had a problem.

At that roundabout before Narellan Road you'll want to move over into the right hand lane. It becomes one of the 2 Right Turn lanes to head west onto Narellan Road.

Narellan road has a cycle lane but you have to watch for glass. Once you pass Blaxland Rd you have a large shoulder to ride up the hill to the F5 on ramp.
2010 BMC SLC01

norbs

Postby norbs » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:24 pm

Having ridden the from Sydney to Canberra, I can say it is a pretty good ride in a day. I think I took 4! :)

There are loads of hills. A few like this one at Nattai Creek.

And you need to watch out for this stuff too.

Depending when it is, I might be interested.

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:43 pm

:( poor roo! I was thinking of 23rd or 30th July. I was searching in the countrylink website, and couldn't find a way to get back in time, which could mean staying the night in Canberra :( Does anyone have any other experience on how to get back?