Safest roads back to the city from the 1:20 and Wall?

bura

Safest roads back to the city from the 1:20 and Wall?

Postby bura » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:33 pm

Afternoon,

I'm after some suggestions for quick and safe ways to get back to the CBD from the Dandenongs.

Quickest way out is Canterbury Rd in the morning. Despite low traffic it's still dangerous (a lot of no shoulder/bike lane). On the way back it's a nightmare!

kleric

Re: Safest roads back to the city from the 1:20 and Wall?

Postby kleric » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:09 pm

I too would like to know. Not being killed by traffic is a favourite pastime of mine.

Fraggle

Postby Fraggle » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:05 pm

Canterbury Rd isn't that bad. But i understand your concerns.

Why not try Whitehorse the turn right at Mitcham Rd then all the way to The Basin.

Or

Go along Burwood Hwy then onto Mountain hwy and then The Basin.

and finally if you are too timid on the road then there is always the bike path along Dandenong Creek that stops at Colcester Rd then it's a short on road ride to, you guessed it, The Basin!!!

and at last, TRY BIKELY.COM or GOOGLEMAPS!!!

cycles gitane
Location: Near the Dandenong Creek cycle trail, Eastern Melbourne

Postby cycles gitane » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:32 pm

Fraggle wrote: and finally if you are too timid on the road then there is always the bike path along Dandenong Creek that stops at Colcester Rd then it's a short on road ride to, you guessed it, The Basin!!!

and at last, TRY BIKELY.COM or GOOGLEMAPS!!!
The bike path continues under Colchester rd to Liverpool rd near the retarding basin.
Some riders will drive closer to the hills eg Wantirna Mall, Siemens at Bayswater or The Basin shops.

cycles gitane
There is NO room in the shed for the next bike! New shed rqd.

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:57 pm

bura wrote:Afternoon,

I'm after some suggestions for quick and safe ways to get back to the CBD from the Dandenongs.

Quickest way out is Canterbury Rd in the morning. Despite low traffic it's still dangerous (a lot of no shoulder/bike lane). On the way back it's a nightmare!
I always used Canterbury road with no troubles whatsoever on weekdays and weekends. Although Canterbury road near the Mt Dandenong was significantly more heavy on the weekday. But the traffic was typically calm, nothing like Sydney. I would not worry too much.

On the return trip to the city, Whitehorse Rd might be a better option to Canterbury Rd. Make a right hand (or hook turn) into Elgar Rd and head to the bike path that runs all the way to Yarra Blvd or you can use Belmore Rd which will also take you all the way to Yarra Blvd. Go through Yarra Blvd and turn off to the right at the bridge. Sorry, I have been out of Melbourne for a number of years so I can't really remember the street names.

Jon

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:04 pm

It really depends on where you come down from the Dandenongs. If it's the tourist road to Montrose, take Mt Dandenong Rd through Croydon to Whitehorse Rd at Ringwood. If you come down the 1 in 20, continue along Mountain Highway through Bayswater then turn right into Boronia Rd and climb the hill to Canterbury Rd. From the Upper FTG end just take Burwood Hwy right through and go up Camberwell Rd to Burwood Rd, Hawthorn. Burwood Hwy does have fairly fast traffic, but it's three lanes and the lanes are wider than Canterbury, Mountain Hwy or Whitehorse so generally you get little grief.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

bura

Postby bura » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:42 pm

il padrone wrote:It really depends on where you come down from the Dandenongs. If it's the tourist road to Montrose, take Mt Dandenong Rd through Croydon to Whitehorse Rd at Ringwood. If you come down the 1 in 20, continue along Mountain Highway through Bayswater then turn right into Boronia Rd and climb the hill to Canterbury Rd. From the Upper FTG end just take Burwood Hwy right through and go up Camberwell Rd to Burwood Rd, Hawthorn. Burwood Hwy does have fairly fast traffic, but it's three lanes and the lanes are wider than Canterbury, Mountain Hwy or Whitehorse so generally you get little grief.
Thanks to everyone for the brilliant suggestions. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will benefit. Google maps isn't such help for this type of inquiry because it gives no sense of what the roads are like to ride on. I have spent countless hours on bikely, and have studied the dandy creek trail, but it's too much of a detour (I guess I don't value my safety THAT much!).

Il padrone I've been finishing by coming back down the wall, however I'd be open to finishing other ways if the route back is more pleasant.

Basically, I used to go to Kinglake via the Greensborough Hwy, then discovered the Banksia st Old Eltham Rd way - totally different experience traffic wise. Was hoping for something similar to get back from the Dandenongs! Cantebury Rd at least has the critical mass of cyclists so drivers kind of expect/watch out for us.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:33 pm

I'm assuming by the wall you mean 'The Wall' east of Olinda?

If you're at the bottom of that you're at Monbulk the other side of the mountain. If I want to get home the best route I'd take is up the valley to Kallista then down to Belgrave and along through Upper FTG and onto Burwood Hwy. The only alternative is:

- back up to Olinda, or
- along the Sylvan Rd to Mt Evelyn and York/Swansea/Canterbury Rds. I really dislike this route and the crap traffic out there.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."