Early 80's Cecil Walker - cassete replacement

Skippy

Early 80's Cecil Walker - cassete replacement

Postby Skippy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been a long-time lurker here (specifically on the retro threads) and read enough to get me inspired to rebuild my Cecil Walker. This was my daily commuter bike right up to about 4 years ago and was destined for the hard rubbish :shock: when my LBS told me they couldn't get 6-speed clusters any more.

Having done my research I thought I had all the info I needed to source parts. I was doing really well until it came to stripping down the back wheel on the weekend and discovering that what I thought was a screw-on cluster is, in fact, one of the early Shimano cassettes that uses the small cog as a lockring.

So... given that you guys are to "blame" for keeping my bike off the scrapheap, I was hoping someone might be able to offer some advice. I want to keep it as original as possible, so changing to 9-or-10-speed new drivetrain isn't an option. Ideally, I'd like to find a source for new cassettes in a pile of NOS somewhere but haven't had any luck. Otherwise, I've read here and there that it might be possible to transplant a newer cassette body onto the existing hub, which would then present the challenge of getting the spacing right for the 6-speed derailleur.

As a general overview, the bike is mainly Shimano 600/105 components and the frame was replaced a few years ago with another steel CW frame of about early 90s vintage.

Any helpful advice gratefully accepted :-)

Cheers,

James.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:19 pm

Welcome to the nuthouse James.

Interesting problem. How about having a yarn with Cecil Walkers themselves.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:25 pm

G'Day James, welcome outside.

You'll need two chainwhips to get the cassette off, is about all I can offer.

If you can't make it work, the nearest hard rubbish dump to you is in my driveway :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:35 pm

Don't drive all the way to Mulger's, I reckon the tip in my front yard might be nearer... ;)

Skippy

Postby Skippy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:45 pm

Mulger bill wrote: If you can't make it work, the nearest hard rubbish dump to you is in my driveway :wink:
stryker84 wrote:Don't drive all the way to Mulger's, I reckon the tip in my front yard might be nearer... ;)
Thanks guys, that's a mighty offer, but you don't want all that stuff cluttering up your garage. I mean, if I dumped the bike on you, I'd have to dump all the parts that arrived from PBK last week and you don't want all that stuff - new bar tape, tyres, chain, bearings, seat, pedals, brake pads - making the place look untidy. :wink:

And thanks Richard for the suggestion, I'll give them a buzz.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:02 pm

Happy to take that sort of bullet to help out a new member :D

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

stevendavid75

Postby stevendavid75 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:46 pm

I cant say I can picture the cassette that you speak of, however I wouldnt take the 1st bike shop you come across with any great significance.
Where are you we might be able to suggest someone/shop nearby that can assist.

Also worht keeping an eye out for replacement 2nd hand wheel/s.

Cheers
Steve

Skippy

Postby Skippy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:20 pm

stevendavid75 wrote:I cant say I can picture the cassette that you speak of,
Hi Steve, If it helps, it looks to be a Uniglide cassette as shown on Sheldon Brown's "Shimano Cassettes & Freehubs" page.
stevendavid75 wrote:however I wouldnt take the 1st bike shop you come across with any great significance.
True, and I'll admit I didn't ask for a second opinion. After riding the same bike for over 10 years, I very quickly got excited about the prospect of replacing it.
stevendavid75 wrote: Also worht keeping an eye out for replacement 2nd hand wheel/s.
Yep, I'm on it. Ebay-ing my little heart out :-) It's just tricky trying to find something guaranteed to be a drop-in replacement. I'm not much of a Shimano historian, so unless I actually see the phrase "early 80s 6-speed", I'm somewhat clueless.

Skippy

Postby Skippy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:21 pm

stevendavid75 wrote: Where are you we might be able to suggest someone/shop nearby that can assist.
I'm in Croydon, 30k east of Melbourne.

stevendavid75

Postby stevendavid75 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:30 pm

a shop that might be worth a try on your side of town is Open Road Cycles, Richard in there likes the older stuff and will give you the time of day,
I think they are on Blackburn Rd, Syndal or Mt Waverly.

Might be worth a try!

Cheers
Steve

Skippy

Postby Skippy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:24 am

Thanks Steve, I'll stop off there on my way into Cecil Walker on the weekend and see what Richard can do for me.

I'll let you know how I go...

Cheers,

James.

Skippy

Postby Skippy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:12 pm

Well... I didn't make it to either shop on the weekend. Something to do with 6 children cluttering up my timetable. Anyway, another trip to eBay and a bit of lateral thinking got me pointed in the right direction. I can't paste the address but for anyone who's interested it's eBay item 280167191776.

Thanks to all who put in their suggestions; hopefully I'll be back in a few months with some before & after photos :)

Cheers,
James.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:21 pm

A note for anyone who wants the old style freewheels cassettes...
Despite what your LBS may say you can still obtain 5/6/7/8 speed FREEWHEELS and cassettes from Shimano. Made in China but what the heck isn't? My source is Moruya Bicycles at:
www dot moruyabicycles dot com dot au
very helpful people.

One of my main problems with the bicycle retail trade in Oz is their "can't do" attitude... the majority of staff are just plain bloody ignorant.
Having said that here are outstanding examples in the other direction but not many here in the Hunter.....

Skippy wrote:Well... I didn't make it to either shop on the weekend. Something to do with 6 children cluttering up my timetable. Anyway, another trip to eBay and a bit of lateral thinking got me pointed in the right direction. I can't paste the address but for anyone who's interested it's eBay item 280167191776.

Thanks to all who put in their suggestions; hopefully I'll be back in a few months with some before & after photos :)

Cheers,
James.

Skippy

Postby Skippy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:14 pm

WyvernRH wrote:My source is Moruya Bicycles at:
www dot moruyabicycles dot com dot au
very helpful people.
Thanks for the tip. They've got a pretty extensive online store there. It's a small world; I spent a week in Moruya a couple of years ago and remember the bike shop well.
WyvernRH wrote: One of my main problems with the bicycle retail trade in Oz is their "can't do" attitude... the majority of staff are just plain bloody ignorant.
Having said that here are outstanding examples in the other direction but not many here in the Hunter.....
Hmm. Don't get me started. My experiences closely match that sentiment. At least the contrast makes the good ones easy to spot. My LBS of choice looked after me as a broke student and were always willing to help and offer advice, even though I rarely spent more than $20 in a visit. Ten years later, when it came time to buy bikes for 3 kids and my wife, that was where I headed. If they stocked Felt, mine would've come from there too.

I'll stop before I develop Grumpy Old Man syndrome and start ranting about businesses that underestimate the returns they can get from decent customer service...