Ricardo Appreciation Society

HappyHumber

Re: Ricardo Appreciation Society

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:00 pm

ch!ppy wrote:my son decided to throw himself through a late model Ford windscreen .....

..... the bike, its not so bad that it looks untidy, pretty darn good infact for a ,what, 24 Yro bike, perhaps i am just itching to make something look brand new again :)
Did you draw breath through that lot ch!ppy? :D :D

It looks lovely and original as it is I reckon - and pretty darn good nick for its age.; even if you ab-so-lootly MUST swap out some parts - leave that duco as is. It's one of the better examples I've seen of that era of Stickering/decals (mid to later 80s?) I've seen. Infact - you should be the one taking nice steady & clear shots of the stickers for us so we can Adobe Illustratorise them for the common good! :D :D

I've had a couple of Tange 900 Viva models - whilst not featherweight steel they're still in the lighter realms of average. My daily commuter is one of these and even at 63cm I was surprised how it compared weight wise to some smaller plain guage Cro-Mo frames I had kicking around.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:57 am

I dont know how you people come across these Elites and Vivas. I've been looking for donkeys ages and cant find one unless I drive a thousand or so km, still wouldnt be my size. :cry:

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:15 pm

Where are you and what is your size?

I've got a spare 1990 Pinnacle (four models higher than the Elite) with a 22" seat tube...too small for me (the other Pinnacle has a 23.5" seat tube) at six foot tall. Sitting in a shed in NW Victoria.

Just saying.... :lol:
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

ch!ppy

Postby ch!ppy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:18 am

HappyHumber wrote:
ch!ppy wrote:my son decided to throw himself through a late model Ford windscreen .....

..... the bike, its not so bad that it looks untidy, pretty darn good infact for a ,what, 24 Yro bike, perhaps i am just itching to make something look brand new again :)
Did you draw breath through that lot ch!ppy? :D :D

It looks lovely and original as it is I reckon - and pretty darn good nick for its age.; even if you ab-so-lootly MUST swap out some parts - leave that duco as is. It's one of the better examples I've seen of that era of Stickering/decals (mid to later 80s?) I've seen. Infact - you should be the one taking nice steady & clear shots of the stickers for us so we can Adobe Illustratorise them for the common good! :D :D

I've had a couple of Tange 900 Viva models - whilst not featherweight steel they're still in the lighter realms of average. My daily commuter is one of these and even at 63cm I was surprised how it compared weight wise to some smaller plain guage Cro-Mo frames I had kicking around.

yeah, from beginning to end its a bit of yarn eh! feel better now that its out LOL, doesnt matter how old ya kids are ya never stop worrying

i am getting used to the Ricardo bike now as it is, i reckon i'll just leave it be, save from stripping it to grease & replace bearings etc

i want some ol bike as project to splash some paint on though! i seem to keep getting these old bikes (super elliot and some other 1930's bikes) with the intention of doing one up but end up just getting them to working condition and leaving them

munga

Postby munga » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:19 am

buy a bare frame! :lol:

BigDave

Postby BigDave » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:26 pm

Ricardoman wrote:Hi All

Well Finally got around to getting to the old's place and rummage through my stuff, and well I got more than I bargain for, and hopefully a bit of a treat for you all down memory lane.

Not only did I have sales brochures from 1985 thru to 1988 I also had brochures for 1989 and 1990 -1991 plus I dug out my group set of early frame stickers.

Plus a dealer shop sticker, for now I have uploaded for your perusal the 1985-1986/1987-1988 brochure covers and specification pages.

I will further upload the later brochures once I have shrunk them down enough to fit on my scanner bed and let you know.

I would like to scan these in as an Ebook if possible, so if anyone has any tips on how do so would be happy to do it.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx22 ... 1289394608

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx22 ... 5-1986.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx22 ... 7-1988.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx22 ... 7-1988.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx22 ... ickers.jpg

Regards

Ricardoman
Memory lane this way ------>
Ricardoman would it be possible that you have resized the rest of this Brochure as i remember my picture was in this one. :D I used to work at Lesuire Cycles in Adelaide. 8)

beef

Postby beef » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:23 pm

hey guys picked this little whip up a few weeks ago now and am still trying to ID the frame, I have a feeling it could be a Ricardo (judging by the serial no.) which is L3E1958. Stickers state tubing is Tange Champion 2, suntour pro drop outs and maybe nervex lugs. uploading pics asap

toumbhar10

Postby toumbhar10 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:08 pm

Hey, I'm currently looking at getting an older 80's/90's racer but I'm not too knowledgable on the subject. I've found this ricardo on ebay : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300596415349 ... 600wt_1141

The seller says there are no model markings on the frame, but the serial number on the frame is Lx8599. I was just wondering really if it's worth going to look at or if it's just a lower end ricardo.
Cheers, Harry.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:34 am

toumbhar10 wrote:Hey, I'm currently looking at getting an older 80's/90's racer but I'm not too knowledgable on the subject. I've found this ricardo on ebay : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300596415349 ... 600wt_1141

The seller says there are no model markings on the frame, but the serial number on the frame is Lx8599. I was just wondering really if it's worth going to look at or if it's just a lower end ricardo.
Cheers, Harry.
It looks like a Racemaster from around 1980 or possibly 79 seems in good nic pic's not very good though and not really special unless your a ricardo fan.
It would have a 1021 HiTen frame and be quite heavy.

toumbhar10

Postby toumbhar10 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:46 am

Thanks for the help, I'll keep searching!

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:53 pm

gregp

Postby gregp » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:52 pm

Your Ricardo Pinnacle is an awesome looking bike.

beef

Postby beef » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:37 pm

hey guys is this a ricardo?

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=44673

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:13 pm

beef wrote:hey guys is this a ricardo?

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=44673
Doesn't look like any lugs I have seen on a Ricardo. Interesting rear brake mounting as well.

beef

Postby beef » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:43 pm

hmm the search continues the serial number bought me here L3E1958

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:16 am

Truly I've not seen those lugs on a Ricardo before either.....but that serial no. is very much like that of the Leisure Bikes factory in Adelaide that made the Ricardo framesets (along with others).

I'll wager that you have an early 80's (1983?) frameset from Leisure Cycles that was probably made to order for a third party....hence the fancy lugs. Super Elliot?

If you do anything to it then at least move the rear brake back to the paradigm position....that looks really silly.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:33 pm

Beef, I wasn't meaning to suggest it absolutely is a Ricardo, just that this thread would give you plenty of points of reference, and then I discovered you'd been here already. In any case, I concur with the Leisure Cycles suggestion though not the Super Elliot. Leisure mad a lot of frames for a lot of brands and a lot of bike shops who then branded frames for themselves. They also used a lot of different lug and tubesets. Tange Champion No 5 was an excellent price point example of this.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:06 pm

Rusty I have a crannaford frame that matches your lugs and top end of seat stays "dont know what grade of steel" not saying thats what it is but lots of bicycle shops used to make frames or have them built for them by places like leisure cycles.
Actually I have read crannafords made there own frames someone else might know that for sure so I say it was probably sold by a bike shop as there own brand custom built by themselves or as the serial number suggests by leisure cycles ?
Crannafords were at 39 Halifax St. Adelaide.

singlespeedscott

Ricardo Appreciation Society

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:21 pm

jbchybridrider wrote:Rusty I have a crannaford frame that matches your lugs and top end of seat stays "dont know what grade of steel" not saying thats what it is but lots of bicycle shops used to make frames or have them built for them by places like leisure cycles.
Actually I have read crannafords made there own frames someone else might know that for sure so I say it was probably sold by a bike shop as there own brand custom built by themselves or as the serial number suggests by leisure cycles ?
Crannafords were at 39 Halifax St. Adelaide.
I've got a crannaford and it's definitely a leisure cycles product.

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:52 am

jbchybridrider wrote:1990 Ricardo Pinnacle. :arrow: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 23&t=44148
Stunning
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:28 pm

nich0051 wrote:Hi all
A finished project - Ricardo Elite.
Cheers
Roger
Nice work... one of the later models?

I can't quite make out the crank.. is it a Sugino? I like those cut-out spider arms.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

nich0051

Postby nich0051 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:49 pm

Yes, I think it is a later one - the decals look pretty contemporary. Sugino cranks.

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:37 pm

Can anyone give me some background info on this frame?

It's a Ricardo 'Bluz' or something. Takes 27" wheels.

S/N: L9Y0051

Manufactured by: Leisure Cycles Australia, Regency Park, SA

Seems pretty heavy, but I've been thinking about patching it up as a SS/3-speed IGH for the girl to use. Need more parts to get going though.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

zephy

Postby zephy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:45 pm

Hi there,

is there an easy way to identify the type (Tange etc) of frame on a Ricardo bike? picked up a sorry looking Ricardo Nouvo today and wondered about it.... serial # looks to be L4T130C.... chain rings are selecta 1, suntour shifters on down tube, charger(?) RD, shimano FD.... unfortunately no rear wheel... ACE head stem... naked frame weighs 2.1kg.... cheers!

Just an ol' man, riding an ol' bike.... every hill feels like Alpe d'Heuz....