Commuting and looking fresh

ss--ss

Postby ss--ss » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:50 pm

I'm planning on doing a 15klm commute to work. Usually when I ride on weekends etc I end up drenched in sweat, so I'm worried about arriving in this state when I get to work in an office.
Is there any tips , I was thinking of riding a lot slower than usual so I don't work up a sweat or bringing a towel to wash down a bit in the toilet block?

Cheers Don

il padrone

Re: Commuting and looking fresh

Postby il padrone » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:19 pm

Don't try to race it, plan for a bit of extra time to get there. Wear less clothing.

In Melbourne these days I wear a shirt with windproof polarfleece sleeveless vest over it, trousers and maybe windproof gloves on the colder days. Yes I ride in work clothing - no facilities for changing/storing clothes or shower at the workplace. I would be dressed a fair bit warmer if I was out on a morning touring ride. It is a bit cold for the first km, but the first hill soon warms me up :|

In winter cold weather, wear merino base layers - it wicks sweat away and doesn't build up a stink. For summer try to get some high-wicking travel shirts.

Try to ride a bit easier for the last 2 kms of your commute.

Remember - sweat is basically water, except for from the armpits and nether regions which contains a lot of body oil. A wipe and deodoriser will do wondes there. Also it really takes 12-24 hrs for sweat to begin to pong. Modern urban man and woman has a real fetish for clean that is unwarranted.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

ss--ss

Postby ss--ss » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:00 am

Thanks il padrone , I'm going to try some of what you've mentioned!

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:17 am

I love having a hot shower after a good commute - it might be possible to use a local gym?

Workplaces that do not provide shower facilities should at least organise an alternative like local gym membership. Obviously we don't all work for large firms, but some kind of subsidised basic gym membership or the shower/locker would not be too costly.

Best of luck with your cycle commuting, friendly warning - it is highly addictive!

cheers
JM

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:16 am

go slow and take it easy on the rides, I usually go hard all the way to work on a 10K ride and am drenched. (They call me "The Deluge" at the local gym :)).

But just yesterday I rode with a mate and we had a nice chat on the road, went easy and i was basically dry when i got in.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:32 pm

il Padrone pretty much has it nailed. Cruising the last couple of kms will do lots.
Otherwise, get some baby wipes or similar and a can of your bodyspray of choice.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011