Apollo Jaguar

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Apollo Jaguar

Postby Kev365428 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:50 pm

Picked this one up on e-bay a few days ago. nothing special about it, but it only cost about $16, so I might salvage it for bits, or turn over to the dark side and remove the gears :twisted:

Any thoughts?

Kev.
Kev365428

by BNA » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:29 pm

BNA

Re: Apollo Jaguar

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:29 pm

Ooooh! Someone actually using a SunTour Honour rear gear! Does it work ok? I have seen heaps of these as NOS or scrap but never one actually in use. They should work ok but everyone seems to replace them with something else (better?/worse?). I just wondered why?

Cheers

Richard

Kev365428 wrote:Picked this one up on e-bay a few days ago. nothing special about it, but it only cost about $16, so I might salvage it for bits, or turn over to the dark side and remove the gears :twisted:

Kev.
WyvernRH

Postby Kid_Carbine » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:48 pm

For $16 you can't go wrong. Lets face it, even a couple of sandwiches & a milkshake is about that much these days, so the price was good.

Give it a good clean, a proper service & pump the tyres up, then go for a spin. If it feels good, then invest in a couple of tyres & replace whatever else is rotted & ride the wheels off it. Old clunkers make great training bikes as all the extra weight & drag is just 'training effect' I trained for my Alpine tour on an early 60's Speedwell roadster with old PMG wheels & coaster brake at first but moved up to wheels with a Sturmey Archer 3 speed, with drum brakes front & rear [Models ABC + BFC] My young son at 18 months weighed 30lbs [about 13Kg] & he added to the training effect when we went on our country tours around the district.
Great fun & 23 years later, I still have the bike.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.
Kid_Carbine

Postby stryker84 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:08 am

Mind you, just from the pics, it's nowhere near as bad as 'old clunker' material. Looks like a pretty well maintained, at worst generic steel frame, which could scrub up perfectly well for a everyday/training machine, or fixified.
Ans, as KC said, even if it does turn out to be more weight/work than it's worth, at $16, you're already well in front.
stryker84

Return to Retro biking