Sheldon Brown passed away

5 Star Rolf

Sheldon Brown passed away

Postby 5 Star Rolf » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:06 pm

Just heard.... Sheldon passed away night of Feb 4th suffering a massive heart attack...

5*R.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:10 pm

Wow - very sad.

He seemed to have been a very generous guy. His wealth of experience and the information he has given will long be appreciated.

cludence

Postby cludence » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:18 pm

Sheldon was a legend. Anyone who has repaired their own bike has looked at his website for reference at some stage. His love of bikes and willingness to share his knowledge was incredible. It's unfortunate as he wasnt old but at least he was spared any further decline with his MS which he had been suffering recently.

Karen.

ggundersen

Postby ggundersen » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:28 pm

Sheldon passed away
Good.
I'm tired of everybody saying he is a genius.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:36 pm

ggundersen wrote:Good.
I'm tired of everybody saying he is a genius.
:shock:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

cludence

Postby cludence » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:43 pm

I said he was a legend, I dont recall calling him a genius.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:08 pm

Damn :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ggundersen

Postby ggundersen » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:50 pm

I said he was a legend, I don't recall calling him a genius.
I wasn't referring to your mail.

It's just my personal feelings. For years people on forums have been saying go to Sheldon Brown's homepage. I have always thought that the reason we have forums is because we want real live input from many different people. Sheldon Brown is (or was) one old man with a passion for bikes. If he was so fantastic why do we so have forums at all? Because I think he does not have all the answers. Thats why I don't need him(or to be more exact, his homepage). Personally I know nothing about the man, and to be honest don't care either. If I need info , I go to a forum.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:08 pm

personally I would have thought if you know nothing about someone and dont care then you shut the f*** up

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:14 pm

Um, yeah, he was but one man, but the info he put together was priceless. Sure, some things you may differ on opinions, but for the most part, it was pretty good data, and where most forum members get their info from, so it makes sense to refer someone to a specific page on the site, which has been edited countless times for clarity, instead of trying to explain it all again in spur of the moment language, which ofttimes will be more confusing (like this paragraph, hope it made sense!).

I'll bet most if not all serious cycling forums out there will refer to his site quite often for any technical question that gets asked, simply because it IS so comprehensive.

Sure he may not have all the answers, but for the many that he does, they're brilliant. That's why we refer to them. If they were not good, we wouldn't.

ggundersen

Postby ggundersen » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:18 pm

Yes I know many like him.

So I will now
shut the f*** up

Recycler

Death

Postby Recycler » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:17 am

[i][b] ggundersen. Your comments on the death of someone you never knew seem very strange to me. What type of person are you! I tell you now! your off my christmas card list. Maybe you need to change forums.[/b][/i]

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:22 am

stryker84 wrote:I'll bet most if not all serious cycling forums out there will refer to his site quite often for any technical question that gets asked, simply because it IS so comprehensive.
It's also the best reference to settle an argument. Once a page on his site is referenced, the discussion is over. Seen this repeatedly on all the Usenet and web forums.

The MAN is so well respected for his knowledge and contribution to the cycling community!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:38 pm

sogood wrote: The MAN is so well respected for his knowledge and contribution to the cycling community!
And his unique helmet will be sorely missed.

Mitch.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...