I don't normally stereotype but..........

markusm

I don't normally stereotype but..........

Postby markusm » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:00 pm

What is it with Ute drivers? Particularly Commodore ute drivers, and more so v8 ones?

I could have 20 normal cars drive past me while im cycling, no dramas, if one of them is a ute he will generally be the one to yell out, swerve, throw something, rev his (lack of shaft length compensating) engine etc etc. When i'm driving my car he will also do the same, plus be the one to tailgate you in the right hand lane on a freeway while you are overtaking, flash his lights, then cut you off to overtake you etc etc.

Like the debate of who came first, the chicken or the egg? I often wonder who came first? Was it the d?$khead, or the commodore ute???

Do you people need to pass a personality test before a Holden dealer sell you a car? If you seem "normal" do they give you an Astra or Barina? Therefore if you are a (better not say), you get the commodore ute?

BTW, Patriotism is great, but to the ute drivers out there with the Southern Cross stickers plastered all over the cars, Aussie pride, Great Southern Land stickers etc, can I suggest to you that replacing your "Aussie" Holden badge with the Chevrolet symbol to me just doesnt make sense.

Does anyone else notice this sort of thing on their commute?

orbeas

Re: I don't normally stereotype but..........

Postby orbeas » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:08 pm

your lucky you aonly get harrased by ute drivers,
Here their are female,male, 4x4,small cars its the no bike should be on the road mentality
Orbea Euskaltel:Ultegra,Durace,RS80
Orbea Erandio Hybrid

markusm

Postby markusm » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:20 pm

orbeas wrote:your lucky you aonly get harrased by ute drivers,
Here their are female,male, 4x4,small cars its the no bike should be on the road mentality
I mainly only encounter the ute species, in saying that the other day i copped a gobful from a Citroen driver of all things, but as it was a Pluriel convertible and the driver was Male i presume it was his sisters or Mother's car as he was on red p's, i presume he was a ute driver doing something undercover.

Why is it that after i cop a mouthful, i offer through hand gestures that these people come back for a "chat" and my offer 100% of the time has been refused, funny that!

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:58 pm

markusm wrote:What is it with Ute drivers? Particularly Commodore ute drivers, and more so v8 ones?
Just last night, I had an incident with a moron in a V8 Commo Ute.
markusm wrote:can I suggest to you that replacing your "Aussie" Holden badge with the Chevrolet symbol to me just doesnt make sense.
I think it's because they think that the engines in their cars are made by Chevrolet. Hilariously, they aren't.

markusm

Postby markusm » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:22 pm

rkelsen wrote:
markusm wrote:What is it with Ute drivers? Particularly Commodore ute drivers, and more so v8 ones?
markusm wrote:can I suggest to you that replacing your "Aussie" Holden badge with the Chevrolet symbol to me just doesnt make sense.
I think it's because they think that the engines in their cars are made by Chevrolet. Hilariously, they aren't.
I rode this morning an had an incident with a Commodore ute driver, drove along the M7 last night, had an issue with a Commodore ute driver, some Falcon ute drivers are just as bad, but most of them are too busy doing their hair or plucking their eyebrows to notice me, I don't hate them as much :evil: :lol:

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:25 pm

Ute drivers and P platers.

I ride home on this road. It's 70km limit and there is NO shoulder. It's up hill for 2-3KM and quite steep. The P platers seem to make a game of forcing you into the gutter. :(

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=bowral&hl ... 89.71,,0,0

It's so bad I now take an alternate route home that's much steeper and 5km longer but it is a very pleasant ride.

zero

Postby zero » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:33 pm

rkelsen wrote:
its a pretty mild distinction. The small block "chevrolet" engine wound up being the GM corporate V8, and this is simply the replacement corporate V8. They are still assembled in a GM plant, even if castings are outsourced.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:04 pm

zero wrote:The small block "chevrolet" engine wound up being the GM corporate V8
No, it didn't.

The 'GM corporate V8' was a completely clean sheet design. An entirely new engine designed from the ground up. It has nothing in common with the Chevy small block, other than the fact that a few numbers match (or come close to it). None of the parts are interchangeable between the newer engines and Chevy engines.
zero wrote:and this is simply the replacement corporate V8. They are still assembled in a GM plant, even if castings are outsourced.
A GM plant. Not a Chevrolet plant.

It'd make as much sense to stick Buick, Pontiac, SAAB or Cadillac badges on a Commodore, since they all share parts across the group.

hazmat5765

Postby hazmat5765 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:27 pm

...........well don't then.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:58 pm

Lucky I drive a V8 wagon that still has Holden badges then :roll:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:59 pm

hazmat5765 wrote:...........well don't then.
But that wouldn't any be fun, now would it? :wink:

I like it when people say "I'm not <something>, BUT..." It kinda negates everything that came ahead of the "but" :lol:

That said, it definitely seems that tradies in utes are overrepresented among those who choose to monster cyclists.

Even more overrepresented are those who have some form of personalisation done to their vehicle. It could be anything from innocuous-seeming vanity plates and window/bumper stickers to the full-on "Fully Sik" customisations.

From my reading, the psychology is that these idiots have problems distinguishing between their "private space" (inside of their cars) and "community space" where others have a right to share with them - that is, the road.

So if you see someone with a "Fully Sik" tradie ute with "Sons of the Southern Cross" rear window masks you've hit the bogan racist xenophobe jackpot ... so look out. :shock:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:19 pm

Trailgumby / Northern Beaches / Tradie Utes ....oh yeah :lol: .
Do I miss trying to get from Crows Nest to Akuna!...which ever way I try :lol: .
Ok...I miss it a little bit,but it will now only be on "adventure holidays" that I get the adventure of riding in Sydney.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:14 am

as an owner of a black V8 commadore ute, im offended :roll:
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

wheels46

Postby wheels46 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:35 am

The worst are the Crew Cab utes being driven by the hi vis shirt brigade. Add a baseball hat and it gets worse. :twisted:

markusm

Postby markusm » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:51 am

ni78ck wrote:as an owner of a black V8 commadore ute, im offended :roll:
Sorry you feel that way Nick, Maybe you should have got a silver one! :) Only joking!

If you are offended I'm sorry (unless you are one of those)! Can I just say though that I've recently been stereotyped as "one of those cyclists that block traffic, run red lights blah blah blah".

Last Friday morning I was hit on the M5 near King Georges Rd (by an impatient SS ute driver), and taken to hospital in an ambulance, I dont remember anything as i was concussed and had numerous scans since. Needed 3 days off work, when I have told the story to non cyclists and workmates I've been abused for "taking up the road". Like you being misunderstood, these people don't understand that in my 18km commute each way each day im sharing the road with drivers for approx 200 metres if that.

I think I've earnt the right to stereotype, not "all" SS ute drivers run people off the road, not "all" cyclists take up a whole lane.

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:58 am

XR6 Turbo Ute here. :oops:

Distingushed by the Specialized "S" sticker on the back.

May or may not be 2 kelpies in it also.... 8)

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:36 am

markusm wrote:
ni78ck wrote:as an owner of a black V8 commadore ute, im offended :roll:
Sorry you feel that way Nick, Maybe you should have got a silver one! :) Only joking!

If you are offended I'm sorry (unless you are one of those)! Can I just say though that I've recently been stereotyped as "one of those cyclists that block traffic, run red lights blah blah blah".

Last Friday morning I was hit on the M5 near King Georges Rd (by an impatient SS ute driver), and taken to hospital in an ambulance, I dont remember anything as i was concussed and had numerous scans since. Needed 3 days off work, when I have told the story to non cyclists and workmates I've been abused for "taking up the road". Like you being misunderstood, these people don't understand that in my 18km commute each way each day im sharing the road with drivers for approx 200 metres if that.

I think I've earnt the right to stereotype, not "all" SS ute drivers run people off the road, not "all" cyclists take up a whole lane.
I hear it all too often about ute drivers! I was only kidding about being offended. I realize there are some tools out there driving the same ss as me
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:29 pm

Not so much utes, rather anyone driving a tradie's white commercial... utes, tray-tops, white vans even. These are the worst, especially after about 4pm, when I'm often riding home and they're on the trot to the pub/bordello.

Commodore SS utes have their own problems but a larger proportion of them are really OK on the road with cyclists. I think the tradies have a much deeper-set male-superiority/peni$-size issues going on.

Having said all this, I rode up between stationary lines of traffic this morning and stopped because the next two cars were too close together. Next thing I knew the white tradie's Commodore ute on the left made a big manouver in his lane to allow room for me to pass.

:shock: 8)

Stereotypes are so often wrong.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:28 pm

I'm a fluogan.

Van driving, fluorescent shirt wearing, personalised vehicle fashion victim, smelly, stinkin, tradie.

I hate all cyclists including myself. I often find myself abusing riders with comments like you ride worse than I do. Idiot !!

If you see this van coming your way. SPRINT.

You'll notice the nice low nose design so cyclists nicely deflect off to the side without too much mess or impeding my travel plans. I need to be home in 12 minutes 37 seconds or else.

Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:45 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:If you see this van coming your way. SPRINT.
That's no threat. It's not white :lol:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."