Cycling Express - New online shop to compete with UK....

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Cycling Express - New AUS online shop to compete with UK

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:19 pm

Somebody let me know when they go live. I hope they can compete with the UK sites, happy to give locals a go.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:29 pm

A bit off topic but what I would like to see Australian online bike sellers sell is AUSTRALIAN MADE PRODUCTS. Seriously, I would love to BUY AUSTRALIAN MADE THERMAL CYCLING WEAR, AUSTRALIAN LEATHER PANNIERS, AUSTRALIAN WOOL, MADE IN OZ FOR THE LOVE OF KANGAROOS GLOVES, etc etc.

Nothing beats Australian leather because unlike the Italians, when it comes to leather, Australian manufacturers don't skimp!!!!

I WOULDN'T MIND PURCHASING FOR A PREMIUM FOR A BIT OF AUSSIE MADE! I WILL BUY BECAUSE OF SUPERIOR QUALITY MATERIALS. WE HAVE ONE OF THE HIGHEST PER INCOME CAPITA POPULATION ON THE PLANET DAMMIT!!!!

Thank you. End of rant :-)
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:41 pm

Well I've got some final bits I need to buy, and I'm interested to see if cycleexpress will have them.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:57 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Well I've got some final bits I need to buy, and I'm interested to see if cycleexpress will have them.
Me too I already have 850 clams lined up with c r c but I have been holding off to give CE first dip at that and if by Saturday they can't supply when they go live I'm not waiting and I'm not asking for price matching that just isn't going to happen plus I'm not waiting if the server crashes.

I'm starting to get a little more excited now it's only 24hrs away to taking a peek at there new online store.

Ricky

petal665

Postby petal665 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:58 am

}SkOrPn--7 wrote: Me too I already have 850 clams lined up with c r c but I have been holding off to give CE first dip at that and if by Saturday they can't supply when they go live I'm not waiting and I'm not asking for price matching that just isn't going to happen plus I'm not waiting if the server crashes.
CE will not have everything that is in your c r c basket. 100% guarantee that although would be happy to be proved wrong when they come online. :D

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:02 am

After seeing the recent activity in this thread about the launch I am thinking "Chill Out... it's Cycling Express who have to deal with it, not us" - though I am thinking that if some consumers are already frustrated, they have done a good job of drumming up interest.

CommuRider, I think that your capslock got stuck... 2XU and Skins are Australian brands (have to check on the Aussie made bit), Dipell have recently started with top notch leather bartape, locally made. I think price still is a factor because consumers don't always look for 'best' or 'local' as 'price' is a big deciding factor. NZ is doing quite well with some speciality cycling gear with merino wool.
Cycling is in my BNA

justinfoxau

Postby justinfoxau » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:32 am

The Cycling Express shop will go live at 5pm today!

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:51 am

AUbicycles wrote:. NZ is doing quite well with some speciality cycling gear with merino wool.
Icebreakers are made in China. *sigh*

Funny when Aussie manufacturing moved overseas the price remained the same. When buying shirts, customers went up or down. Mostly down, but some went up and discovererd Italian made shirts. We are stil here, we are still waiting....

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:53 am

justinfoxau wrote:The Cycling Express shop will go live at 5pm today!
Still standing by to standby.

Good luck and we'll hope for the best :D

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:31 am

CommuRider wrote:Funny when Aussie manufacturing moved overseas the price remained the same...
Nothing funny about it. Pricing is about what the market will bear. Where it's manufactured is about profit margin. Maximise price, minimise cost, that's just business 101.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:40 am

MichaelB wrote: Have no money anyway, as I need to save to buy a Volagi Liscio anyway....
Fantasy or fact? Do tell!?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:45 am

Crawf wrote:
MichaelB wrote: Have no money anyway, as I need to save to buy a Volagi Liscio anyway....
Still fantasy (still saving), but if you check the thread in the Shed re the disc brakes, they are now selling the frameset module.

The best value one is the Rival version (AT) USD $2895

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:51 am

MichaelB wrote:
Crawf wrote:
Still fantasy (still saving), but if you check the thread in the Shed re the disc brakes, they are now selling the frameset module.

The best value one is the Rival version (AT) USD $2895
Woah, I'll wait for the cheap China rip off :D

Phil

Postby Phil » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:35 am

CommuRider wrote:A bit off topic but what I would like to see Australian online bike sellers sell is AUSTRALIAN MADE PRODUCTS. Seriously, I would love to BUY AUSTRALIAN MADE THERMAL CYCLING WEAR, AUSTRALIAN LEATHER PANNIERS, AUSTRALIAN WOOL, MADE IN OZ FOR THE LOVE OF KANGAROOS GLOVES, etc etc.
Have to agree. Kangaroo Leather is awesome. Light, Soft, pliable, stupidly strong. I have two pairs of RM Williams Kangaroo Skin Boots (one of which is on the third sole), and they are brilliant. Ignoring the greeny namby-pambys, its not like we have a shortage of roos - just drive north of geraldton and try not to hit a few ;-)

The fact RM Williams can makes them in SA, indicates we already have commercially available leather supplies.

Our production costs in AUstralia are fairly high, so we would be better off picking high value durable items to concentrate on, that people do not mind spending decent money ratehr than consumables like gloves, knicks, etc.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:57 am

Phil wrote: Have to agree. Kangaroo Leather is awesome. Light, Soft, pliable, stupidly strong. I have two pairs of RM Williams Kangaroo Skin Boots (one of which is on the third sole), and they are brilliant. Ignoring the greeny namby-pambys, its not like we have a shortage of roos - just drive north of geraldton and try not to hit a few ;-)

The fact RM Williams can makes them in SA, indicates we already have commercially available leather supplies.

Our production costs in AUstralia are fairly high, so we would be better off picking high value durable items to concentrate on, that people do not mind spending decent money ratehr than consumables like gloves, knicks, etc.
I'm an RMW fan and roo leather is great (though they don't do roo boots much for us women). Get rid of cows then we'll sort out the methane problem. Roos are efficient, evolved to this environment.

Comparing my RMW leather boots with my Italian leather boots, RMW use thicker, stronger leather that lasts longer. There's an RMW factory outlet (Sydney Olympic Park) and they do showcase the best of Aussie leather. I was looking at their horse saddle bags but it's too heavy for a bike pannier. But if they used roo leather they'll have a winner. I suggested they should start looking at leather ipad holders given they've started selling car seat covers.

As I understand it, RMW outsources some of their shoe making to a company that manufactures them in Sydney (I think for their Cuban slides etc) and not in SA. It's good because they're evolving to be more efficient so that their designs attracts us city folks. It's a bit like getting the Spanish ZARA JIT manufacturing into Australia (6 weeks from design to store). I wish Aussie manufacturers (or what's left of them) would respond better to the market, listen to their customers etc.

I'm happy to combine consumables with proper bike gear. I don't see what's wrong with mixing leather with lycra ;-) the older I get, the more I value quality over cheap, not so longer lasting equipment.

Back on-topic a further suggestion: have an Aussie-made section in your online store. I'm still trying to source Aussie-made bike grease and I'm sick of ringing around so many hardware stores trying to support Aussie made products.

Tazzy

Postby Tazzy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:00 am

Phil wrote: Have to agree. Kangaroo Leather is awesome. Light, Soft, pliable, stupidly strong. I have two pairs of RM Williams Kangaroo Skin Boots (one of which is on the third sole), and they are brilliant. Ignoring the greeny namby-pambys, its not like we have a shortage of roos - just drive north of geraldton and try not to hit a few ;-)
I reckon the Greeny namby-pamby's could be pleased that we were using an animal that actually belongs in this country. If you look at the amount of native land that has been destroyed in the name of the cattle industry it's a win -win. Personally I don't eat beef, Kangaroo meat is the only red meat I eat. Love the stuff, especially in my Spag Bog.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:13 am

Roo mince is being sold at my local Woolies for $3/kg :shock:

Nothing wrong with eating marsupials, as previously mentioned, I had wallaby pie at Flinders Island. Yummy.

Now, how about wombat? They look like little piglets to me....mmmmmmmmmm

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:23 am

Has RMW started to make cycling gears?

I was in one of their stores recently for a new belt but did not see any cycling gears. Thought about a pair of Craftsman boots for their aero benefits, but cleating it would have been a tad difficult.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Tazzy

Postby Tazzy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:27 am

CommuRider wrote:Roo mince is being sold at my local Woolies for $3/kg :shock:
Yep that's the stuff I reckon, cheap as and better for you. It's all in how you cook it, I wouldn't go back to beef now and at that price why would I? The Roo mince is a better product than beef in every aspect afaic.
I'd be willing to part with my spag bog recipe if anyone is interested in giving it a go, I guarantee you will be impressed. I get four meals for 3 from a kilo.

norbs

Postby norbs » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:36 am

Tazzy wrote:
Yep that's the stuff I reckon, cheap as and better for you. It's all in how you cook it, I wouldn't go back to beef now and at that price why would I? The Roo mince is a better product than beef in every aspect afaic.
I'd be willing to part with my spag bog recipe if anyone is interested in giving it a go, I guarantee you will be impressed. I get four meals for 3 from a kilo.

Yep.

We eat Kanga bangers and kangaroo steak quite often. Tastes terrific and virtually fat free.

Spagaroo sounds very tasty to me.

petal665

Postby petal665 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:50 am

Really? It normally around $7-8 for 1kg packages. Still cheap as.

Tazzy

Postby Tazzy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:55 am

petal665 wrote:
Yeah it's $7.99/kg at Woollies here too, better than $14/kg for heart smart beef and it's smarter.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:57 am

petal665 wrote:
It was on sale due to the expiry date being the following day but I am surprised how cheap roo is compared to lamb or beef.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:01 pm

CommuRider wrote: I'm an RMW fan and roo leather is great (though they don't do roo boots much for us women). Get rid of cows then we'll sort out the methane problem. Roos are efficient, evolved to this environment.

Bit of a furphy (the bold bit) really.

Anywhooo, back on topic.

It's 5 1/2 hrs to kick off time for CE - what's the liklihood of it working ?

Good I hope :D

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:10 pm

MichaelB wrote:
CommuRider wrote: I'm an RMW fan and roo leather is great (though they don't do roo boots much for us women). Get rid of cows then we'll sort out the methane problem. Roos are efficient, evolved to this environment.

I'm pretty sure roos fart less with all that hopping about.

Come to think of it, I've never heard a roo fart. And their poos are pretty small, tight and compact.