LDLs

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
notwal

LDLs

Postby notwal » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:09 pm

I got the results of a blood test (just a check up) the other day.
I was surprised to find my LDLs are about twice what is considered normal and healthy.
The doc said I'm not in any danger but recommends getting them down to a safer level.

I have heard that getting LDL count down can be difficult.
I wonder if anyone here has dealt with this and can offer any recommendations.
judged, insulted, gone

sogood

Re: LDLs

Postby sogood » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:58 pm

There are many reasons for a high LDL, from pure dietary to metabolic disorder. So what did the doctor advise you for your specific situation?

Otherwise the generic safe response is to improve your diet along with suitable exercises. In other words, healthier living. YMMV.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:08 pm

I sit on the cusp but mine has proven to be unresponsive to diet. There are drugs to help but, in common with many cyclists, my other risk factors (other than age) are very low which largely negates the need to do the drugs.

However I will be discussing with my GP next time I see him whether or not it is time for medication or under what conditions I will need them if at all.

Bottom line though, get on top of all the other factors as well.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

alf

Postby alf » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:12 pm

Notwal,

I had very high cholesterol for a very long time but did not want to treat it with medication.

What worked for me was to cut down on the amount of cheese I consumed and to ride at least 80 km a week at around 145 bpm (My Aerobic Threshold).

I got to the point where if I took the dogs out for a 20 minute walk my metabolism would go into ketosis.

Lost about 15kg in 3 months and cholesterol is within the healthy range.

Unfortunately I now have a very addictive and expensive activity I have to maintain.

notwal

Postby notwal » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:55 pm

sogood wrote:There are many reasons for a high LDL, from pure dietary to metabolic disorder. So what did the doctor advise you for your specific situation?

Otherwise the generic safe response is to improve your diet along with suitable exercises. In other words, healthier living. YMMV.
He advised me to google cholesterol lowering diets :)

I didn't think my diet was that bad although I never go for the "light" version of anything and I do go through a lot of carbs.
But I eat lots of whole foods, grains etc, lots of tuna and beans (stand back) maybe not enough leafy greens.
I guess I'm going to have to start reading labels to avoid those dreadful hydrogenated fats and trans fats and forget about the occasional pizza and fish and chips and pies.

I'd prefer to avoid medication.
judged, insulted, gone

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:03 pm

If LDLs are high, but all other markers a good, then don't worry. The science on cholesterol is pretty shaky.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

ozzymac

LDLs

Postby ozzymac » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:30 pm

Hi,
My wife and I use to have high LDL readings and we started using the Logicol and other margarines. There a bit expensive but they do seem to work our readings have been great since.

Cheers

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:37 pm

My GP says the triglyceride:HDL ratio is more predictive of heart trouble.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:01 pm

notwal wrote:He advised me to google cholesterol lowering diets :)
I agree with others that fat metabolism and health risks is a complex subject and one that's still being altered with the latest research. However, I wouldn't be happy with that advise from your GP. Not knowing whether you guys ran out of consultation time or what, I'd think you'll need to make another dedicated visit to discuss the issue. Most good GPs have ready made brochures on this and related subjects to hand out. If there's no joy on a further visit, then I'd seriously consider changing to another GP. Fact is, this is a very basic and common bread and butter (or margarine) subject for GPs. Not receiving good practical advice is not acceptable professionally.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.