another project....on a smaller scale

Kev365428

another project....on a smaller scale

Postby Kev365428 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:53 pm

Picked this up from a council clean-up. Thought I might clean her up and whack a set of trainers on her for the 3 year old to play around on. A quick spray job and some rust removal should do wonders I reckon.

Might need to find another chainguard to protect little fingers though. Can these be bought from a lbs?

Kev.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:15 pm

I did one up like that for my daughter - she loved it - but I loved it more.

good on ya Kev.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:02 pm

Go for it Kev, you'll enjoy it and your lass will have the only custom in the street :)

Love the way the paint's faded.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:20 pm

Can't say I recall having ever seen a chaincase in the LBS, but then again, I never have looked for one! A quick e-glance over a few shop websites don't show any, but I doubt it'd be a listed item anyway, I'm guessing it's probably one of those items you have to walk in / phone and ask, and they might be able to source one.

cludence

Postby cludence » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:39 pm

Kev,

Go to www.bicyclerecycling.com and look under the links page. Whichever group is near you, give them a call and I am sure they will be able to help you out with a chainguard. I have some here and also a bike the same size and in better nick you are welcome to but I am not sure if you feel like a drive from Ingleburn to Toongabbie?

Karen.

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:41 pm

The most common reason that these are thrown out is that they have been outgrown & there is nobody else to give them to.

In other words, a large percentage of these cast offs are genuine low mileage, one owner machines & need little more than a major service to restore them to like-new mechanical condition. Yours looks to have been housed outdoors for a while, so a cosmetic repair is also required & a powder coat job will have it looking a treat. Some inexpensive girly decals & she will be queen of the cruise circuit.

If the tyres are sound & little worn, then take them into the shower with you one day & give them a good scrub with a stiff bristle brush. When they are dry, try one of those foaming tyre cleaners for cars. With a little luck they will look like new for a couple of dollars worth of material.
On my old, [but new] white wall tyres I also use soapy steel wool in the shower before I use the tyre foam. The white walls come up like new.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.