Rack advice sought

leighthebee

Rack advice sought

Postby leighthebee » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:16 am

Hi all,

My wife has a 2010 Scott Sportster and I'm told it needs a rear rack. I see there's an urban kit, but I don't think she needs mudguards that it sits on.

I'm guessing these racks are not universal? Was hoping to grab something from wiggle along with some things for me. :D

Any advice?

DaveOZ

Re: Rack advice sought

Postby DaveOZ » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:24 am

Tubus make excellent racks and you should be able to find on to fit the bike. Most of them are designed to take panniers for carrying your load.

http://www.this link is broken/tubus/

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:16 am

I'll put a vote in for Topeak racks and bags. Their racks are sturdy and the quick release system means it takes just a few second to fit or remove the bag. They have a range of different bags and several types of rack to fit different styles of bike.

I use the MTX TrunkBag. I find it has plenty of room for regular commuting. Not cheap, but I've used it for three years now with no problems. Details here;

http://www.topeak.com/products/TrunkBag ... 00as1qvpa5

My wife has the same rack on her bike with a big basket. This is very handy to take into the supermarket, load up with groceries and put it straight onto the bike.

Rds,

David

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:31 am

Whilst I'm not familiar with the Scott Speedster, as far as rear racks go, stick with the familar names already mentioned.

I would also recommend you choose one with with a secondary rail beneath the main platform. It makes for a more versatile set up. If you chose to run panniers (of which I've been a convert in the last 12 months) it means they can mount slightly lower and also clear of the main platorm. You can then thread ties or straps through underneath the platform to secure loads on top of the rack. If the only rails are the edges of the platform the panniers can foul access for additional loads there and block strapping routes.

Having the bags slightly lower means also a lower centre of gravity for better stabilitly

It's not a major thing but something I've come to appreciate with the Topeak Super Tourist DX and a Tubus Cosmos I run on seperate bikes.

Unless your wife is a consistent light traveller, I would avoid the seatpost mounted racks.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:35 pm

HappyHumber wrote:If the only rails are the edges of the platform the panniers can foul access for additional loads there and block strapping routes.
This makes no sense to me :?

I run panniers on Tubus Cargo racks and am always strapping a load on top, with or without panniers

HappyHumber wrote:Having the bags slightly lower means also a lower centre of gravity for better stabilitly
Certainly a lower rail like what the Logo has adds some versatility, but I am a doubter of the 'stability' argument. A low mounting matters more for the front end, where high-mount panniers will weight your steering and turn it. But at the back end it's less of an issue. Eg. higher COG is actually better for balance. Watch a penny farthing rider ride really slow sometime.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:18 am

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:20 am

rdp_au wrote:I'll put a vote in for Topeak racks and bags. Their racks are sturdy and the quick release system means it takes just a few second to fit or remove the bag. They have a range of different bags and several types of rack to fit different styles of bike.

I use the MTX TrunkBag. I find it has plenty of room for regular commuting. Not cheap, but I've used it for three years now with no problems. Details here;

http://www.topeak.com/products/TrunkBag ... 00as1qvpa5

My wife has the same rack on her bike with a big basket. This is very handy to take into the supermarket, load up with groceries and put it straight onto the bike.

Rds,

David
Trunkbags look real good. Might be just the thing....

igstar

Postby igstar » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:44 am

leighthebee wrote:Hi all,

My wife has a 2010 Scott Sportster and I'm told it needs a rear rack.
So who needs a rack :wink:

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:04 am

well a "second" rack..... :lol:

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:35 am

il padrone wrote:
HappyHumber wrote:If the only rails are the edges of the platform the panniers can foul access for additional loads there and block strapping routes.
This makes no sense to me :?
I stand humbled in the presence of your experienced bike travels, Pete. I retract my earlier, overthought ramblings.

Leigh : listen to Il Padrone... he's been at this bike game a lot longer and more seriously than most of us.

Though I do wonder if your wife will need to carry firewood. Come the revolution, maybe? ;)
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

ajh003

Postby ajh003 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:28 am

My 2c worth - My wife and I both use the Topeak racks with MTX bags
I commute with mine - MTX EXP unzip drop down panniers each day - lasted well for 2 years so far
Seen em on Amazon for abt $60 instead of the $120 plus here in Aus - Dunno abt freight costs though
Wife doesn't need panniers but loves the MTX bag for all things that are a necessity for a girl to carry to the shops.
Jamis CODA SPORT Flat Bar CONVERTED to a DROP BAR for Daily commutes
Giant "Talon" MTB for weekend Trails and "FAMILY" stuff
SW 168.5 kgs CW 111 kgs woohoo !

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:06 pm

Hi

Another vote for Tubus racks here and for the price ex Bike24 or the like well worth the $.

Andrew