Hamstring Tendonitis

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
mozza

Hamstring Tendonitis

Postby mozza » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:16 pm

My GP diagnosed me with hamstring tendonitis about 2 months ago, It clicks when riding, especially if I'm not wearing tights (I think the compression of the tights helps). I have read a few different views that should drop mileage on bike and others say stop altogther,not sure which is best. If anyone has any advice on this it would be helpful as really want to get back riding again.

foo on patrol

Re: Hamstring Tendonitis

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:57 am

I had it but on the front of the leg (up the shin) and was told to get of the bike totally until fixed. The trouble was, I still had 1200ks of a charity ride left and finished that before getting off and now suffer severe bouts of shin splints at times. :( These are more painful than tendonitis. :wink:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

scotto

Postby scotto » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:50 pm

mozza wrote:My GP diagnosed me with hamstring tendonitis about 2 months ago, It clicks when riding, especially if I'm not wearing tights (I think the compression of the tights helps). I have read a few different views that should drop mileage on bike and others say stop altogther,not sure which is best. If anyone has any advice on this it would be helpful as really want to get back riding again.
wear tighter tights, see a physio who might show you how you can tape it, and more importantly diagnose it correctly and show you how to properly treat/manage it.
i dont trust gp's musculo-skeletal diagnostic skills sometimes.

slow, gentle, painfree stretching, gentle eccentric contractions, etc ect , if all else fails, i am getting good results with similar problems (tennis elbow, TA tendonitis) with some sprots doctors nearby doing prolotherapy, where they take your blood, spin out the plasma, and inject it into the tendon. its sposed to speed up remodelling of damaged tissue.

mozza

Postby mozza » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:08 pm

I have read that it is an often misdiagnosed problem, so thinking physio may well be the way forward, prolotherapy sounds a bit much for now,just giving it rest for now may try and head out for the 1st time in 3 weeks at the weekend,

giwi2

Postby giwi2 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:56 pm

I had this problem to a degree but at the other end of the hamstring where it connects to the fibula. I was doing alot of seated hill climbing and went and got my bike fit rechecked and found that with minor adjustments all has gone away. I seem to remeber that my seat was lifted and moved forward. We are only talking about a centimetre at most but it has made all the difference.
2009 Scott Sportster
2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:05 am

giwi2 wrote:I had this problem to a degree but at the other end of the hamstring where it connects to the fibula. I was doing alot of seated hill climbing and went and got my bike fit rechecked and found that with minor adjustments all has gone away. I seem to remeber that my seat was lifted and moved forward. We are only talking about a centimetre at most but it has made all the difference.
Ive had that before normally for me when I do too much too quick.

giwi2

Postby giwi2 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:22 pm

yeh it was probably going up Biddle Road just outside of Dunsborough on my morning loop ride. Not a big climb but at about 3.5km and 5% avg enough to make you work. :oops:
2009 Scott Sportster
2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert