Icy Roads....

aroes

Icy Roads....

Postby aroes » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:01 pm

Hi all

This Saturday I'll be doing the magnificent Kinglake climb for the second time. My question to you folk is this.......

Have any of you done it at this time of year and if so, does the road get icy?

I've done the climb before but the weather was beautiful and sunny, so I'm interested to know if my riding partner and I are likely to encounter the descent from hell

While we're at it, I was also wondering the same thing about Mt Macedon, as I'm keen to give it a crack from both approaches (Gisborne/Woodend) at some point this winter

Thanks, and happy riding 8)

cerb

Re: Icy Roads....

Postby cerb » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:20 pm

Overnight low of 4 degrees so there could be some minor frost around early in the morning. Nothing that should keep you away though! Scope it out on the way up and take it easy on the descent.

I'll be heading out there on Monday myself! (love long weekends!)

nyeholt

Postby nyeholt » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:01 pm

I grew up in Macedon, and it can definitely get icy, particularly in the shade, even on nights when the average temp doesn't drop below 0.

From a descending point of view, going down the Woodend side might be a bit safer as it isn't quite as steep as the southern face (which can get up over 10% in parts), and is a bit more twisty, meaning you won't be as tempted to tuck and go wild :).

ralphi

Postby ralphi » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:11 pm

If you're going to come down the woodend side definitely plan your route to go down Straws lane. It's known as Gravity hill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_hill)

Worth a look.