80's Colnago project

familyguy

Re: 80's Colnago project

Postby familyguy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:51 pm

Good move. Veloce, or even Centaur, all the way. As good as the 105 groupset is, it does need to be silver.

Jim

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:02 pm

Go the Athena! Then you can be my theoretical guinea pig! :)
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:20 pm

ghettro (Jonathon) already went the Athena route I think, but on a modern frame. 8)

Jim

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks guys,
I looked at all the manufacturers groups that are around $500, about the most I could justify to spend, 105 works great but looks so plasticy, SRAM Apex looks too modern, leaving Campy Veloce as the only real contender. As Kym suggested to me, it's about the only modern group you can get in (mostly) polished aluminium. Looks great!

Now I just have to save up to buy it..

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:58 am

via Matuzmaster:

Jim

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:42 am

*fap*fap*fap*fap**fap*fap**fap*fap*
--

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:38 pm

Nice!
Wish I had something to report at the moment .. just waiting til I can order my parts.

mark field

Postby mark field » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:34 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
lunar_c wrote: The fork came up well, it's almost blemish free.
Indeedly
lunar_c wrote: Underneath the bottom bracket. You can see the UN54 bottom bracket installed. The cut outs are pretty cool. Were these originally for cooling, or to allow access to the bearings with a grease gun? They sure let a lot of dirt in!
Well... I always thought it was for the opposite; drainage - remembering from the era of the 1980s the loose ball bearing BBs were the norm It probably would have had one of those little plastic concertina sleeve inserts squashed between the cups. And of course a true athlete/professional would ensure the bearings would be attended to regularly anyway.

Though with holes - or slots - as big as these they're arguably a weight saving device more so than drainage.

for my more 'average specimen' builds I always drill a small hole ~8mm in any BB shell that doesn't have any such vent. I was shocked when I rode a brand new bike twice, once being caught in rain and then shortly afterwards stripping the bike how much water was trapped in the shell. It kind of also reinforced something Aldo at Quantum Bicycle Manufacturers had told me once before as well.
could those slots have been used for some kind of tie down onto a trailer or something ? i can just see a bunch of team riders driving behind their trailer load of team bikes on their way to a special event!!
steel is the real deal.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:58 pm

I've been checking out Campagnolo wheelsets on Ribble recently.. not bad pricing, a little cheaper than c r c though they do charge a bit more for freight so it works out pretty close.

I quite like the look of the Scirocco's.

Though the Khamsin's are also growing on me and are a fair bit cheaper..

I think the modern wheels and groupset will play against the look of the traditional steel frame very well. What do you all think?

mark field

Postby mark field » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:29 am

nice wheels, but personally, i feel that an old style frame with a mix of old and new components can look a little odd in the sense that the bike looks somewhat 'bitsa' but if the components that make up the bike all have a common feature then that can make all the difference. i personally would go with a more traditional looking wheel if using an old frame. if you put new style wheels on leighthebee's recent f1 inspired beauty with all the wonderfull shimano 600 gear then it would look a little odd. 4me- new frame = new wheels. old frame = old wheels. but then i havnt cut my teeth on enough bikes to really be able to make a serious contribution to your project nor have a point of view other than what i like to look at. after all i thought that certain tyre brands were made up of human hair. honestly... does that sound like someone who has a real clue :oops: :cry:
steel is the real deal.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:13 am

Build your own wheels mate. It's not that hard, infinitely more satisfying and you can then pick and chose the componetry a bit more to acheive the look you want. A bit like Mark above, I'm not a big fan of all these funny spoke patterns, especially if you're trying to be at least half contemporarily correct with the frame. Radial spoking is about as radical I'd go - then only on the front. Classic 3-cross on the back

I had Circus Monkey monkey hubs recommended to me to match the 11sp Athena & general polished look I was chasing when I enquired on the Campy only forums;

Apparently very good value for the money.

Depending on what groupset you accquire otherwise in the meantime, you could also mix some older hubs with new spokes & rims.
--

munga

Postby munga » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:05 am

those hubs and some open pro rims in silver. classic looks, modern components

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:17 am

Campagnolo groupsets on sale at Ribble for 6 days! Get on it!

Jim

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:54 am

familyguy wrote:Campagnolo groupsets on sale at Ribble for 6 days! Get on it!
D'oh!

Hmmm... Shiny new Veloce groupset vs. staying married... decisions, decisions...

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:09 am

Yes, I'm sharing your dilemma.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:19 am

I saw that last night and was almost tempted to ask my fiance for a loan until my tax return comes!

Where are you guys getting your rims from? I looked at a few of the big online retailers and none of them will ship rims to australia (though curiously they will ship assembled wheels) and considering my LBS wants upwards of $50 for a plain jane Velocity rim, I cried all too hard and started looking at the factory built options.

It started to look like it was going to cost more for rims, spokes and hubs to assemble some traditional wheels than it was to buy some modern ones ready to go.. and considering I want to run Campagnolo now I'd need modern hubs with a traditional spoke pattern and besides those circus monkey ones you turned up Kym, they're few and far between!

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:35 am

'Vintage' frame, modern wheels:

The black rims/red hubs sorta detracts, and on something like the Colnago would probably be a bit naff. Munga's silver hubs/silver rims/ss spokes idea would look better.

Jim

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:19 am

The three sets of wheels I've built I've sourced both spokes & rims from my preferred LBS. 2 pairs of the hubs were from online, the others (my first) were from the LBS. Now that I've got a bit more confident at measuring etc. I'd probably go for the spokes online as well. I think it's Starbike(?) a few people on here have recommended for this.

People I talk to seem really impressed I've built up my own wheels. It's really not that bad... a bit menial & repetitive but it's essentially just following a few discrete sequences. rinse, repeat...

Sure, it's not the cheapest option - but in terms of build satisfaction, bragging rights to the previously mentioned people AND the look we keep talking about; it's the way to go. Breaking the hubs/rims/spokes purchases up a bit should hopefully make the budget fit around it. Maybe look at rims first...... then hold off for a while to see what drivetrain bits come along to see what hubs you need to match. Then lastly the spokes will be bought according to the rims AND hub measurements.

Hey I'm sure I could even be cajoled into giving you a hand with them; I am relatively local to you ;)
--

munga

Postby munga » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:13 pm

starbike is the cheapest i've found for open pro's - around $65 ea incl. shipping

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:59 pm

munga wrote:starbike is the cheapest i've found for open pro's - around $65 ea incl. shipping
Even though their name was at the back of my head - I hadn't looked too closely at Starbike until now. They look good!

However, anyone know any good online sources for Velocity rims? Another project somewhere down the queue is to build a replacement freehub'd wheel for my current FG commuter conversion. It has Dyads at the moment which I've been pretty happy with.
--

mark field

Postby mark field » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:16 pm

im interested in building my own wheels for my next project which will use a sturmey archer 3 or 5 speed hub, i remember when i used to restore old drasgsters from council cleanups back in about 2000, i remember using 27 inch road bike hubs for my dragster wheels which i laced up myself as they had a mag wheel kind of look with the kidney shape cut outs, looked kind of cool, but anyway question is- is there a universal standard for spokes per wheel , i cant remember back 11 years ago but i remember there were several different spoke amounts with the 3-5 speed hubs but could never understand why partly because it only mattered if i could find a wheel to fit what i wanted. Im going to start buying what i need soon and want to be on the ball with rims, spoke sizes, amounts of holes on rims and on hubs. i dont want to buy a hub and a nice set of rims and find i have a bunch of holes going nowhere fast, oooow also i came across a place that has discarded wheelchairs and the wheels are 23-24 inch i think? and radially spoked sexy looking, the hubs are quite nice- track bike looking and stamped made in italy, so i was wondering worth getting or spoke holes too many for 27inch or 700mm rims?? sorry happy humber for hi-jacking your thread for my own purposes
steel is the real deal.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:38 pm

mark field wrote:sorry happy humber for hi-jacking your thread for my own purposes
Don't stress mark.. you were only further rejacking my hijack. Ben is obviously being tardy following his career/studies/fiance elsewhere instead and not giving due attention to his treadlies by having responded to any replies since last night ;) He's asking for trouble from idle hands & distracted minds :D

But to answer your question, spoke hole counts are generally a multiple of 4. Most common road bike sizes are 28/32/36. Tough this can depend on the age of the bike. Generally the higher the count, the stronger the wheel eg. tandems are often 40. The lower the count, the lighter - and the age old trade off of a weaker wheel. Dragster/low riders often have a high spoke count more for reasons of customisation aesthetiques rather than anything practical. But I don't think the terms dragster/low-rider are often used in the same sentence as 'practical' ;)

I too have rescued some Wheelchairs from kerbside collections. Another project in the hopper is to rebuild the odd sized 24"(?) rimmed wheels on 36 hole hubs with common-as-muck 26" rims and build a canoe/kayak trailer out of one of them. There's a build thread here fishing for hitching ideas somewhere on here in cryo-stasis
--

mark field

Postby mark field » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:39 pm

HappyHumber wrote: I too have rescued some Wheelchairs from kerbside collections. Another project in the hopper is to rebuild the odd sized 24"(?) rimmed wheels on 36 hole hubs with common-as-muck 26" rims and build a canoe/kayak trailer out of one of them. There's a build thread here fishing for hitching ideas somewhere on here in cryo-stasis
thanks for that, i also remember that canoe kyack thread as i posted on it, it was an interesting thread. Thanks for the heads up. Now then i supose it would mean im going to have to get a 3-5 speed hub with at least 32 or 36 spokes, ill hit flea bay tonight with anticipation :P
steel is the real deal.

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:55 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
mark field wrote:sorry happy humber for hi-jacking your thread for my own purposes
Kym,i have some brand new 26ers here you can have for (thanks)
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:55 am

Ahh Kym you crack me up!

I think for now I'll go with the Khamsin's .. for the convenience and I want to experiment with that look, and can always change my mind and build my own wheels later.

Just ordered some Cinelli bar tape for it. I think I'm gonna need to be a fan boy and get a Colnago cap too.

Watch this space!