Brisbane Commuting Routes

Leslie

Postby Leslie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:02 pm

Hi all
I'm new to the site and am soon to begin bike commuting in Brisbane. I noticed most of the bike routes discussed or posted are more for Sydney so I thought I'd open one specifically for Brisbane. Please post any good bike routes you may have for Brisbane here as the Brisbane City Council bikeway maps are really pathetic (no details as to street names, poorly marked, difficult to read and so on).

In particular if anyone knows of a good route from Kelvin Grove to Hamilton that would be of tremendous help as I need to get to work.

Also, from Kelvin Grove to Carole Park would be good.

Or if you know of a good site dedicated to Brisbane bikeway maps (not the council one) that would also help

Thankyou

Crawf

Re: Brisbane Commuting Routes

Postby Crawf » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:59 am

You may need to sign up to view this one: http://www.roadgrime.com.au/forum/topic ... /20/page/1

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:18 pm

Does anyone know if the ICB is rideable these days? I haven't seen cyclists on it for at least 6 mths.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:53 pm

winstonw wrote:Does anyone know if the ICB is rideable these days? I haven't seen cyclists on it for at least 6 mths.
I was under the impression that it wasn't allowed but I did see someone on it the other day.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:44 pm

Leslie wrote:In particular if anyone knows of a good route from Kelvin Grove to Hamilton that would be of tremendous help as I need to get to work.
How much traffic are you willing to put up with?

Leslie

Postby Leslie » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:02 pm

I can put up with a moderate amount of traffic, mostly interested in the quickest route to Hamilton. Thanx for the info guys, I'll check out that other site which was suggested too.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:10 pm

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/506784

That's fairly direct, traffic shouldn't be too terrible for most of it (though your idea of terrible may differ to mine). Section near KG might be a bit suboptimal though - I don't know it too well. Alternatively you could head a bit further north through wilston - it'd be a little bit quieter, and not too much longer. Hamilton is a bit of a bastard though - you can either take kingsford smith drive (heavy traffic, lots of trucks, flat as a tack) or crosby rd (nasty hill) to get there from the south. There are a few other backstreets that might work, but they're even worse than crosby. If you trek a bit futher north (ie. up near clayfield) it's less steep.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:29 pm

I'd add to Lethoso's route.
Rather then go Abbottsford, go straight ahead on Montpelier, cross into Skyring, then Byrnes, Newstead, and take the inbound footpath from Newstead House aside Kingsford Smith Drv. It is narrow but much safer then KS Drv, more direct and flat.

Depending on where in KG you start, there is a path along the north side of Enoggera Crk as far as Northey St.
THere's a new creek crossing at the upstream section of Gould Road.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:41 pm

winstonw wrote:take the inbound footpath from Newstead House aside Kingsford Smith Drv
footpath, booooo :P Though I guess if you're just cruising in it'd be fine.

fassyrider

Postby fassyrider » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:52 pm

Hello guys,

can someone please propose/post a specific bike route from Hamilton/Ascot through to the CBD?

I don't mind hills so long the route is highly safe or there is a nice scenery.

I do commute 3 times per week to the CBD so that would be great to know. Thank you very much!
Kites raise against the wind, not with it. (W. Churchill)

Leslie

Postby Leslie » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:44 pm

Ok thanks a lot guys, I'll take that on board and check it out. Much appreciated :D

dreamshifter

Postby dreamshifter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:30 pm

Not sure if its the ideal route but this is these are the paths I take.

Kelvin to city:
Go through the bike paths at victoria park that follows the train line down to roma street parklands (parkland boulevard).

city to richlands:
http://ridewithgps.com/trips/154233
Continue down the left hand side of the centenary motorway to get to carole park (the bike path ends at Julie road).
If you need to get to the industrial area of carole park, you'll have to leave the centenary motorway at waterworks road and ride down boundary road/cobalt street.

Chrisaus

Postby Chrisaus » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:19 pm

Thanks for the City to Richlands route - I have been looking for one for ages.