Cycling as a bonding experience...

cbarrie

Cycling as a bonding experience...

Postby cbarrie » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:39 pm

I am a 61 yo former enthusiastic cyclist. My 10yo grandson is expressing interest in cycling for a "variety" of reasons ie going to/from school, meeting with his mates for a spin, and maybe even spending time with his grandpa riding around the lake or whatever...

In my time cycling was more the norm and a lot "safer" generally. Later my sons and I used to cycle together at the weekends and we love dthe experience...

So now that I have more time and interest I would like some advice on the right cycles for my grandson and me and where we might find them, as well as some great adventures that would be appropriate. My grandson is still nervous butI am sure will acquire the necessary confidence if we can get this one right...

biker_4_fun

Postby biker_4_fun » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:38 pm

Well i am only 15 but hey...
-i live on the south side and well ive always found Pine Island a nice peaceful cruise...
-Also maybe drive down to the cotter and ride up and down around there peacefully...
-Maybe just a city cruise around the lake...
-Or if your up for it then ride upto Telstra Tower-its worth the view in the end...
-or in the forest(Well whats left of it) go for a nice sunday Christmas Eve ride in stromlo forest, or just in you local forest.

Cheers, Mark

PS: All The Best and Good Luck

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:38 am

Mate, buy the bike that suits you and the bike that suits him. If the two of you find yourselves going riding together, well and good.

At 10, he's probably (but not necessarily) not going too far and is probably more interested in the sort of bashing about a BMX bike will get than anything else, though a mountain bike (mtb) is also an option. But realistically, at 10, although some kids are already doing impressive distances on road bikes or getting into some serious bush on mtbs, most are just happy puttering around locally on a bmx, maybe attacking the local bmx track, doing jumps, tricks, etc. Also, at 10, he's going to grow like blazes in the next few years so whatever you buy him, he's going to outgrow pretty darned quick.

Now, yourself. 61, off the bikes for a few years, 'former enthusiast' - mate, you're unlikely to feel comfy on the latest carbon rocket ship (though you might), nor are you likely to be challenging him on the trails through the local forest. At 61, you know what sort of bike attracts you, so go looking for the bike that tugs you back to riding. Ignore the young salesman in the shop trying to put you on the latest racer, even if you know that's where you want to be. If you like the racer style, you don't have to get something as sharp as a true racing bike, there are touring and 'comfort' bikes that give you that same style of bike but in a more relaxed riding position (a modern racer has a riding position more akin to a sprinter's position ten years ago) and geometry. But, you might also decide you want the more upright position of a commuter or hybrid.

Buy what YOU want ... but do lots of research.
Help your grandson buy what HE wants ... but do lots of research, even if it's when he's not around (it gets boring for kids).

If the two of you have the sort of relationship that encourages riding together, you'll do it, regardless of the weaponry and there is nothing in the rule book that says you have to do centuries together to bond.

And yeah, it does work. My son (14) and I (50) are beginning to share some wonderful times riding, even though he's as mad as a cut snake and is fitter than your average mallee bull while I'm still aquiring that mythical thing called 'fitness'.

Richard

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:55 am

If you're looking for bikes for yourself and a 10 year old, then most shops will cover you - but (plug time) I think that you should make sure you talk with Paul and the boys at Smith Cycles in Fyshwick. I've found them to be very approachable helpful and aren't shy when it comes to doing a deal.
Paul said he wasn't going to be open this week, but I think that it would be worth the wait - you can check out the other stores until then!
Last edited by LuckyPierre on Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:59 am

Don't be shy about asking for a two bike deal either ... BUT, make sure you are both getting exactly what you want. The pain of having the wrong bike lasts longer than the pain of paying for it.

Richard