Masi Speciale / Coltello

Green

Masi Speciale / Coltello

Postby Green » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:21 pm

Just joined the forum, first post!

I've just purchased a Masi Speciale Fixed and I was wondering if I purchased a Masi Coltello frame down the track would i be able to use the parts off the Speciale, are they interchangeable or would the sizes/geometry and whatnot be different?

any advice appreciated, cheers

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Masi Speciale / Coltello

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:02 pm

G'Day Green, welcome outside.

I know a fair bit about bikes, but not so much about Masi so I'm happy to be corrected if I get this wrong...

Things to worry about would be the steerer tube diameter, most these days run to 1 1/8th" but 1" still exists.
The bottom bracket shell may be a different size, unlikely but possible.
Brake reach may be different, very unlikely these days but still possible.

Everything else should be fine. Why not trawl around the Masi site and compare the specs. If they match up you should be good for a straight swap.

Cheers
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:50 pm

In theory, yes, everything would change over. Seat post diameter might be different, its not listed on http://www.masibikes.com/framesets/coltello-frame/. The Coltello appears to be drilled for a front brake, but cant tell on the rear.

The Coltello would be a pretty angry, twitchy piece of street gear, if you're going that way with it.

Jim

Green

Postby Green » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:44 pm

Okay thanks guys!
familyguy wrote:The Coltello would be a pretty angry, twitchy piece of street gear, if you're going that way with it.
I don't know an awful lot about riding fixed, the speciale will be my first 'proper' bike - what do you mean the coltello will be angry and twitchy, as in hard to live with on the streets? too track bred?

Cheers

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:22 am

Track bred is right. It looks like you can fit two brakes but the handling and steering will be razor sharp, great if you're a confident riding but a moments inattention may well put you on yer bum.

Gotta admit it's one fine looking steed tho'.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:41 am

Mulger bill wrote:Track bred is right. It looks like you can fit two brakes but the handling and steering will be razor sharp, great if you're a confident riding but a moments inattention may well put you on yer bum.

That's for sure! I just ordered the 2010 coltello orange frame and it looks mean. I've just gotta pick it up in Melbourne.

Here is a guy's 2010 coltello that i'm trying to replicate. Only difference for me is everything including tyres will be black.

aaron

Postby aaron » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:40 pm

That purple chain is pus!!

munga

Postby munga » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:57 pm

vaeske wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Track bred is right. It looks like you can fit two brakes but the handling and steering will be razor sharp, great if you're a confident riding but a moments inattention may well put you on yer bum.

That's for sure! I just ordered the 2010 coltello orange frame and it looks mean. I've just gotta pick it up in Melbourne.

Here is a guy's 2010 coltello that i'm trying to replicate. Only difference for me is everything including tyres will be black.
where did you order it from, vaeske?

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:05 am

munga, a mate of mine sold me his old one coz he ended up getting a new cinelli frame...and his forking out an arm and a leg to get joe cosgrove to paint it for him. :/ some people have plenty of dosh to blow....but can you imagine what would it cost if i bought it new? it be at least 800-1000 easy. i'm keen but i'm not that rich.

but to answer your question, if i'm not wrong you should be able to order one from bike hub or bike force in melbourne, I think that may be where he got it from.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:31 pm

yeah mate, i've seen them at bike hub - just wondered if anyone else stocks masi's in bris

bonder

Postby bonder » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:47 pm

Bsc bikes have the coltello frame/fork combo for $379 atm.
should see if they have any left. pretty sure they ship anywhere around aus.
cheers.

Green

Postby Green » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:58 pm

Thanks for the response guys.

I've just picked up the bike and ridden it home and there is a bit of slip when under load, like going up a steep hill. I got the shop to change it from single speed to fixed so is there maybe something not tight enough? it also creaks a bit under load.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:14 pm