broken finger driving me nuts

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
wombatK

Re: broken finger driving me nuts

Postby wombatK » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:56 pm

jules21 wrote:thanks everyone, some useful suggestions. here she is, after the surgeon removed the dressing this morning.

commurider, given that 3 Ti screws cost me over $1k, i dread to think of how much a Ti prosthetic hand would cost!
Did surgeon give his blessing to your cycling :shock:

Hand injuries are notoriously difficult to heal, and you probably need to worry a lot more about the possibility of inflicting further damage to the bones and joints than a tiny bit of pain from the cold.

Trust me, I ignored my hand surgeon's advice - and it cost me lots more grief.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:08 pm

wombatK wrote:Trust me, I ignored my hand surgeon's advice - and it cost me lots more grief.
you're right, but i've only got 3 more days of riding, then i'm off on hols.

i think the risk of me crashing when i'm being careful and not taking any risks is pretty small.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:28 am

jules21 wrote: i think the risk of me crashing when i'm being careful and not taking any risks is pretty small.
Agree, the risk of crashing shouldn't be a worry.

But it's not just the risk of crashing. It's the extra load being distributed through the bones of your wrist - even if you don't try to grip with the two strapped fingers. Lot's of little loads => fatigue failure. Even titanium suffers from it, but I'd be even more worried about the bones and tissue the titanium's attached to. You might need to be super careful about not putting weight on your damaged hand.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Leiothrix

Postby Leiothrix » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:03 pm

not just weight, but the vibration as well.

plus i'd imagine it would hurt, and exercising whilst on pain killers is probably not the best idea in the world.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:50 pm

honestly, riding is not that big a deal for it. the little finger is kind of isolated from most forces. it's been almost 2 weeks since surgery - i've lost half the dissolving stitches now. it hasn't really caused me any severe pain at any point and i've got 80% range of movement back.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:21 pm

Duh! The solution is obvious!

Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle