Need for (Single)Speed

RobM

Re: Need for (Single)Speed

Postby RobM » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:08 pm

Yeah its a flipflop hub so the tyre was put on in SS mode, now its fixed. I CBF swapping. Tread pattern on 23c tyres really doesnt do much anyways. Besides....as if id ride that albino babe in the wet...she'd get dirty :mrgreen:

aaron

Postby aaron » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:09 pm

^ that's a joke right...about not riding in the wet?
I enjoy nothign more than riding in the rain.

Moe

Postby Moe » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:35 pm

Nice conversion, I'm interested to know how those wheels go after a few months riding fixed. Really bad reputation...

As for riding in the wet, I can't stand it. Something about the water spitting back up from the front wheel and the rain drops hitting my eyes making me blink constantly that really gets on my nerves. Public transport for me when it rains.

Stovepipe

Postby Stovepipe » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:28 am

how come you dont ride it??? also, sweet autobot sticker wheres it from?

RobM

Postby RobM » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:26 pm

Being slightly OCD and having a white bike - if i rode it in the rain id have to spend 2 hours cleaning her up nicely...haha

Its really an awesome run around bike - something you could ride down to the shop or to uni with and impress the ladies with your awesomeness. This bike is pretty much made for cruising the streets and looking rad to the power of sick.

But as I finished uni 3 years ago and only ride on weekends (and that currently is Road bike ride on saturdays, MTB ride on sundays) i just dont get out on it much at all. Bummer.

If anyones interested (or know anyone in Brisbane who might be keen) send me a PM. I might give her up for adoption to a loving owner.

RobM

Postby RobM » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:29 pm

Stovepipe wrote:sweet autobot sticker wheres it from?
Off ebay my friend - was cheap as (like $2) delivered from the mountains in China or something. Took 4 weeks to arrive tho...

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:52 pm

very sweet conversion!

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:50 pm

[quote="punk_rob"]Thought id put up some more recent pics of the finished build. To be honest, she doesnt get ridden much, <50kms since I first built her. Have been thinking of selling her.....or just mounting it up on the wall for me to stare at lustfully :mrgreen:

This is a very nice looking bike

"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

RobM

Postby RobM » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:20 pm

???? is now the proud owner of this beast. Enjoy mate :mrgreen:

EDIT: actually i have no idea of the screenname of the guy that bought it haha. So whoever whereever you are - hope shes riding well!
Last edited by RobM on Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

two_hands

Postby two_hands » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:49 pm

thing of beauty..

mattd

Postby mattd » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:41 pm

Hey Rob,

thank for the bike. Its has been almost a year since i bought it and I have finally got it the way i want it. It was great when i bought it, but i think buying cheap parts off the internet has its ups, but more downs (mainly the wheels - quando - which i would suggest to try and avoid at all costs).

I left it in fixed for a few months but some how managed to strip the threading on the hub so had to ride it free-wheel until i got a new rear wheel. THe real wheel also got loose at the hub, maybe th cones, but i never bothered to get it fixed. After a few more months, i ended up getting a velocity chucker, a thicker more durable version of their deep-V which also requires a wider tire. Im now running 700x28 on the back.

the replacements:

- the front brake - goldfinger 1 finger brake lever with tektro r530.
- the headset was old and stuffed and needed to be replaced, but then the top of the forks weren't long enough (the bit that goes through the headset) so I found a new set of forks that happened to be chrome as i couldnt find any in white.
- got the guys at work to make up a few stickers "viva mexico" for the frame and "mex" for the back wheel.
- the old bottom bracket was also stuffed and worn out so got a new shimano BB.
- C-Unit stem in black (awesome stem!!)
- backwheel = velocity chucker w a continental grand prix 4 season 700 x 28c tyre.
- frontwheel = after much umming and ahhing, listening to the good and the bad, i couldnt say no to a blue aerospoke which took 3 months to arrive (and very happy that i did) with a White continental ultra sport 700 x 23c tyre.
- got some blue dice from Japan when i was over there earlier this year for the valve caps on the tubes, and some blue flashing skulls as i do a lot of riding home at night.

the cranks, chain, seat and handle bars are still them same.

Other than that i havn't put to much more on it to keep it simple-ish. I have been changing between fixed and free wheel every few weeks and she is riding a treat, couldn't ask for anything better. I never have any hassels with it now, and am appreciating the low maintenance involved with it after i got it to this point. As for riding in the rain as in previous posts, i think its absolutely awesome! get a set of clear glasses, and a cover to go over your back pack, and there is no one on the paths, no runners or cyclists, you miss the traffic as everyone is deciding to drive in the rain, and have a nice warm shower when you get to work or get home.

Ill try and post a few photos up soon if i can get them working.

But my advise for people looking to build a bike, don't go for the cheapest parts you can find as they wont last. Buy something decent so that you're not going out and replacing it 6months later.

Matt

aaron

Postby aaron » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:46 am

Why did you get a chucker? They're for bicycle sports not commuting.

Sounds like it turned out to be a very expensive conversion?

fassyrider

Postby fassyrider » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:57 pm

Hey guys,

lovely pics to see there... have you guys ever been in Brisbane? Would you guys recommend fixies or single speed city bikes for the whole Brisbane area or
do you believe only Melbourne and Sydney are places suitable for fixies/single speed?

Thanks for your answer!
Kites raise against the wind, not with it. (W. Churchill)

scrubnbash

Postby scrubnbash » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:22 pm

fassyrider wrote:Hey guys,

lovely pics to see there... have you guys ever been in Brisbane? Would you guys recommend fixies or single speed city bikes for the whole Brisbane area or
do you believe only Melbourne and Sydney are places suitable for fixies/single speed?

Thanks for your answer!
There's a whole heap of us fixie riders in brisbane.
Is sydney flatter than brisbane? I didn't think so. I knew that melbourne-ites have it easy.

tomtom121187

Postby tomtom121187 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:29 pm

:shock: thats a sweet ride!! i just got my first fixie from Cell in sydney. they shipped it up in one day! and it was dirt cheep! :D
i was really looking forward to doing an oldie up like yours, but my urge to "have a bike now" took over!
i saw a beautiful old track bike at the lifeline at Alderly, but it was gone the next day! and now that i have my cheep fixie, i see beautiful old track frames everywhere, lugging and all. if i had money i would have a garage full of project fixies.. even though im still getting used to fixie riding!! lol
see you on the streets! (im on the barbershop fixie (Red & White) 8)

fassyrider

Postby fassyrider » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:53 pm

tomtom121187 wrote::shock: thats a sweet ride!! i just got my first fixie from Cell in sydney. they shipped it up in one day! and it was dirt cheep! :D
i was really looking forward to doing an oldie up like yours, but my urge to "have a bike now" took over!
i saw a beautiful old track bike at the lifeline at Alderly, but it was gone the next day! and now that i have my cheep fixie, i see beautiful old track frames everywhere, lugging and all. if i had money i would have a garage full of project fixies.. even though im still getting used to fixie riding!! lol
see you on the streets! (im on the barbershop fixie (Red & White) 8)
Thanks TomTom, great to hear you're happy with it. From personal experience test-riding Cell and by hearing what a huuge amount of people have to say,
I wouldn't touch Cell or any of those pseudo-cheap brand from a 100km. It is exactly the same story as the Tiger airline drama at the moment!! Safety comes first.
Kites raise against the wind, not with it. (W. Churchill)