Juicy7 Vs Elixir5

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Juicy7 Vs Elixir5

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:46 am

Old bike has the Juicys, new one the Elixirs.

To be honest, the Elixirs are great stoppers but the lever feels meh and I'm missing the pad contact adjustment, gotta lot of pulling to do to get engagement.

I rebuilt and bled the Juicys early this year so they're as good as new, should I change them over before Princess goes to me daughter? New bike runs a 180 rotor, is this gonna give problems?

Thanks
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Juicy7 Vs Elixir5

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:52 pm

No takers?

OK then, attack and be damned.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:43 am

I like my Juicy 7s. Apparently there are some reliability issues, but if yours have been ok and you prefer the feel then it makes sense to stick with them. I don't think you will sacrifice much.

Do both forks have the same brake mounts, or does the new bike have posts? Regardless, it won't be hard to make them fit.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:02 pm

Know what you mean about the pad contact adjustment. It's a nice feature of the 7's. :D

So long as the lever bites properly when it is parallel to the bar (which is where it gives most power) I'm not bothered too much by lever float, so long as it's not out of reach when I need to grab for it. I tend to ride with my index fingers on the levers partway staged anyway. Using Shimano Dual Control where the brake lever doubles as go-harder shift lever has I suppose got me in this habit.

Bottom line: you soon get used to whatever it is your brakes do with lever play. Go with th eones that give you best power and feel.

Juicy 7's came with my new 'Dale. The young bloke has got them now, as I went back to the XT dual control to stop getting tennis elbow from the sticky 9-speed X-7s.

The new Dyna-Sys 2012 XT groupset is supposed to be very light in action, and the new XT brakes have pad contact adjustment, albeit not tool-free. that might be enough to see me join the dark side when prices get a bit reasonable. ;)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:58 pm

After another ride with the elixirs, I'm definitely going the swap. Methinks it's the lever construction itself more than anything, it flexes under hard applications :roll:

Mounting isn't a problem, I've got all the adaptors I need for a three way swap. Juicys from the old hardtail to the dually, Elixirs to the lads bike, the lads Juicy 3s to the old hardtail to go to me eldest. Her old hardtail went to a workmates granddaughter. Everybody happy :)

Thanks all.

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:13 pm

Fail.

Rear hose is waaaay too short. Looks like the Lad will get the 7s while I live with the elixirs till the X9 groupset upgrade happens.
I could muck about swapping hoses I spose but meh...
London Boy 29/12/2011

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:16 pm

Got that problem with my Rize. The rear hose on my XTs is only just long enough ... if I have a major bingle and the bars twist fully right and back over the top tube, there's a risk I could rip the hose out. Needs an extra 50mm to be safe I reckon. :oops:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:52 pm

Yep, I'm loving the Maestro system but damn! Giant built one helluva convoluted rear cable path into them :roll:

Swapping's further complicated by the Elixir 5 not having a banjo fitting on the caliper.

Disappointed with Avid running folded steel levers on anything they make :(
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:15 pm

I was looking at Wiggle and found Code brakes for excellent money but MTBR reviews were somewhat ambivalent.

Any members here got them and what do you think?
London Boy 29/12/2011