your rain jacket when touring?

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

your rain jacket when touring?

Postby jemo27 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:16 pm

I have always just carried an outdoor rain jacket, that small but not really suitable for cycling doesn't breath well, I'm looking at getting a more cycling friendly one.

however I'm worrried that the ones I have seen in bicyle shops are designed for people who are doing there day ride and just want something that will keep them dry until they get home to there warm house, rather than for someone who may not get near a dry place for a few days. it's not much fun being wet in your tent at night.

what do you carry to keep of the rain when you are cycle touring?
jemo27
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:20 am

by BNA » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:37 pm

BNA
 

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby il padrone » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:37 pm

I use the Showerspass Elite 2.0 - a great jacket for all-day use, very breathable and highly waterproof

Image

$235 from Originality Uniforms, a fellow cyclist and forum contributor. Choice of yellow or black colour. I like their gear so much I've also bought the Showerspass Storm Pants and Club Overshoes.

Image


Previously I had a Mont Hammerhead for several years. It was also excellent, but now I realise it was heavier than the Showerspass.

Image




jemo27 wrote: it's not much fun being wet in your tent at night.


I got rather wet last March on a ride in South Gippsland (it was warm and I delayed putting the jacket on too long) and once I got into the tent and stripped off naked I was warmer in the tent than outside, damply fully dressed :shock: . A good tent (not too big) should warm up pretty quickly, and keep you warm.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18426
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby RonK » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:03 pm

Yes, after a lot of research and experience with hard shells, I also have the Showers Pass Elite 2.0 jacket for its excellent ventilation. I don't bother with waterproof pants, just a pair of Rainlegs, oh - and a disposable shower cap to cover my helmet. But I do have the Showers Pass detachable hood, and also a Taiga rain hat.
Last edited by RonK on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5353
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:44 pm

I'm a little different to the others because during winter it's cold anyway so rather than lug more extras than needed I wear the below with compression clothing underneath. It's light weight and folds down to nothing hence my choice.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24097

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24095

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24092

For me the above best suits my riding and for summer/winter for light rain I use the below link allowing my legs to get wet as compression gear dries out real fast or if it gets to heavy I place on the above Oxford trousers.

http://zois.worldsecuresystems.com/safetywear/jackets/hivis-oxford-jacket
}SkOrPn--7
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:15 pm

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby Slim » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:16 pm

Geez I hate affiliate links on forums. Go away }SkOrPn--7

I'm a little different to the others because during winter it's cold anyway so rather than lug more extras than needed I wear the below with compression clothing underneath. It's light weight and folds down to nothing hence my choice.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=24097

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=24095

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=24092

For me the above best suits my riding and for summer/winter for light rain I use the below link allowing my legs to get wet as compression gear dries out real fast or if it gets to heavy I place on the above Oxford trousers.

http://zois.worldsecuresystems.com/safe ... ord-jacket
User avatar
Slim
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:57 am

Slim wrote:Geez I hate affiliate links on forums. Go away }SkOrPn--7


Sorry to upset you with the links as I personally I have no affiliation with the links that was just my place of purchase no more no less Slim just trying to add to the OP's fact gathering question.

Ricky
}SkOrPn--7
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:15 pm

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby WarrenH » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:52 am

I've a 'Ronstan' smock top, for the really cold wet weather ... http://www.ronstan.com.au/marine5/range.asp?RnID=260 Up until my last tour I always took this type of jacket. The R-Tech 3's (red and black, without the white side panels) are the same as the R-Tech 5s.

For milder Winter days and Spring n' Autumn I have a PEARL iZUMI 'Select Barrier WXB' jacket ... http://www.pearlizumi.com/publish/conte ... rel/6.html

For touring now, I take the PEARL iZumi and a $5 'Team Emergency' disposable poncho. The disposable poncho is comfortable. The PEARL iZumi and poncho combined, weigh almost nothing, that is why I find them to be a good combination. The poncho is far better and a lot tougher than it looks. They are not much thicker than Gladwrap. On my last tour I used this combo frequently ... http://www.twenga.com.au/dir-Sports,Hiking,Rain-poncho The ponchos can be found in camping stores and at Rebel Sports.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.
User avatar
WarrenH
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 3:58 am

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:16 pm

Hi

An early days user of the Showers Pass Elite 2 jacket. I got mine from BicyclingHub.com as http://originalityuniforms.com.au/ didn't bother to reply to an email seeking clarification of inventory. I don't support business that can't be bothered replying to an email.

I also got the Storm Pant but I am less than impressed with these so far based on my few local rides. I should have known better when I ordered them ... nylon is well down the wet weather fabric rankings for a good reason. I will probably replace them before next winter unless they perform well on my forthcoming tour down south.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20153
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby rifraf » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:10 pm

Aushiker wrote:Hi

An early days user of the Showers Pass Elite 2 jacket. I got mine from BicyclingHub.com as http://originalityuniforms.com.au/ didn't bother to reply to an email seeking clarification of inventory. I don't support business that can't be bothered replying to an email.

I also got the Storm Pant but I am less than impressed with these so far based on my few local rides. I should have known better when I ordered them ... nylon is well down the wet weather fabric rankings for a good reason. I will probably replace them before next winter unless they perform well on my forthcoming tour down south.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
sorry to hear you lost your wet weather gear on WA's Munda Biddi Trail.
Please tell me will you be once again buying the Showers Pass Elite 2 jacket?
As Macpac have stopped listing cycling specific rain gear on their website I'll no longer be buying their rainwear
and will be looking for new recommendations.
My cycling specific Macpac jacket has been the only one of their rainwear products I've been impressed
with the ownership of.
It lasted for nearly 15 years and it was a case of walking too close to a saw sticking out from a wheel barrow
that was its demise.
I was more sorry for the loss of the jacket than the bloodshed at the time.
Less enthusiastic about the other rain-wear of theirs that I owned and the waterproofness of their packs
(although I love their hard-wearing capabilities and longevity and comfort fit harnesses)
A few posters are looking at new gear and I'm keen to see the consensus of whats the best.
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:23 pm

I too have a showerpass jacket and currently wearing rain legs. Both of them got damaged last night in my crash. I'm repairing the rain legs with seam grip. I've emailed showerpass about holes in my jacket asking if I can use a tent field repair kit using seam grip and patches to seal them up.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image
Baalzamon
 
Posts: 4609
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby rifraf » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:34 pm

Baalzamon wrote:I too have a showerpass jacket and currently wearing rain legs. Both of them got damaged last night in my crash. I'm repairing the rain legs with seam grip. I've emailed showerpass about holes in my jacket asking if I can use a tent field repair kit using seam grip and patches to seal them up.

Hehehe I've bet you to it and have already left a question in your "crashed" thread asking the same queston :lol:
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:52 pm

rifraf wrote:Please tell me will you be once again buying the Showers Pass Elite 2 jacket?

Its on the short list for sure. Insurance company paid out a whole $70 (forgot about the $250 excess - that has hurt). The Ground Effect Storm Trooper is another possibility. It looks like it is made of a DuPont fabric. I will look around for other eVent jackets or three layer jackets first before buying again.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20153
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby rifraf » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:59 pm

Aushiker wrote:Its on the short list for sure. Insurance company paid out a whole $70 (forgot about the $250 excess - that has hurt). The Ground Effect Storm Trooper is another possibility. It looks like it is made of a DuPont fabric. I will look around for other eVent jackets or three layer jackets first before buying again.

Andrew

Please keep us updated on your choice.
I'm well out of the loop in regards to whats on offer today.
I bought cutting edge 15 years ago and am just now having to replace most things I bought.
I'm happy I bought well back then so its just about trying to replicate good purchases by
listening to others feedback.
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby BoardRider » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:02 pm

il padrone wrote:I use the Showerspass Elite 2.0 - a great jacket for all-day use, very breathable and highly waterproof.


Wonder if you could advise me I ride in the Adelaide Hills in winter in the rain frequently .
The jacket I use(Netti) keeps me dry but I sweat so much that I am saturated at the end of my commute.
So I guess this is a ventilation problem.I get so wet(from sweating)that now I don't bother wearing a jacket unless its below 4 and raining, when the the temperature starts to balance things out. Do you think the Showerpass Elite may help.
Thank you in anticipation of your reply
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown
BoardRider
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:18 pm
Location: Adelaide Hills

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:31 pm

rifraf wrote:Andrew Please keep us updated on your choice.


Well the way I see it is there is three options in order of preference:

1. eVent material (Showers Pass/Endura if you can still find their jackets in eVent. There later top of the range jacket is in their own material) ... the material is the same so it comes down to the shape of the jacket/features.
2. Gore-Tex Paclite. I have a Paclite jacket and don't feel it is as good as eVent
3. Hydrofoil ... Ground Effect appears to the only manufacturer using this material. Looks like the product has been around some time ... maybe dated technology
4. Numerous manufacturers with their own "materials". I prefer to go with leading edge materials (eVent or Gore-Tex) which is then used by manufacturers to make jackets).

So based on a bit of quick research it comes down to Showers Pass Elite 2.0 or Showers Pass Elite 2.0. For the $ difference I am not willing to take a punt on the Ground Effect and I cannot find an Endura eVent jacket in my size.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20153
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby rifraf » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:38 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Well the way I see it is there is three options in order of preference:

1. eVent material (Showers Pass/Endura if you can still find their jackets in eVent. There later top of the range jacket is in their own material) ... the material is the same so it comes down to the shape of the jacket/features.
2. Gore-Tex Paclite. I have a Paclite jacket and don't feel it is as good as eVent
3. Hydrofoil ... Ground Effect appears to the only manufacturer using this material. Looks like the product has been around some time ... maybe dated technology
4. Numerous manufacturers with their own "materials". I prefer to go with leading edge materials (eVent or Gore-Tex) which is then used by manufacturers to make jackets).

So based on a bit of quick research it comes down to Showers Pass Elite 2.0 or Showers Pass Elite 2.0. For the $ difference I am not willing to take a punt on the Ground Effect and I cannot find an Endura eVent jacket in my size.

Andrew

Ok Andrew,
thanks heaps :!:
I'm definitely leaning towards the showerpass elite 2.
Please let me know if you find one better prices (and serviced?) than BicyclingHub.com
Look forward to your update.
Cheers
Aidan
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:41 pm

Hi

Quick add ... Chain Reaction Cycles have the eVent Endura Venturi eVent jackets on special at $162.00. Only problem is the one in my size is black ... not the best idea for a rain jacket in my view.

They also stock the Venturi II which is a three layer jacket of a Endura material.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20153
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:45 pm

BoardRider wrote:So I guess this is a ventilation problem.I get so wet(from sweating)that now I don't bother wearing a jacket unless its below 4 and raining, when the the temperature starts to balance things out. Do you think the Showerpass Elite may help.

The Showerspass Elite 2.0 is ventilated via adjustable sleeve cuffs, pit zips, a two-way front zip, and a back vent. It's made of Event fabric, which is very breathable. It is the most well-ventilated and breathable shell I've ever encountered, and I've had a few of 'em. I think it's the back vent that makes the difference. It's only found on cycling specific shells but it's not at all common.

Even so this is no guarantee that you will stay dry, particularly if you sweat heavily, as I do. Rain means high humidity, and the body struggles to shed heat in such conditions, even at quite low temperatures.

I've found the Elite 2.0 usually performs well in temps below 10C if I'm not working too hard. At anything above 10C I don't bother with it, and just wear a windproof gilet instead. In rain I wear a disposable shower cap or a rain hat that fits over my helmet, this allows some airflow to cool my head whilst keeping me dry. I find the detachable hood stifling, and don't think it's worth buying.

Off the bike, it's a very comfortable jacket in most conditions, if cut a little short at the front.
Last edited by RonK on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5353
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:51 pm

RonK wrote:
In rain I wear a disposable shower cap or a rain hat that fits over my helmet, this allows some airflow to cool my head whilst keeping me dry. I find the detachable hood stifling, and don't think it's worth buying.


+1
I'm thinking about a helmet rain cap. I've got the hood, worn it once and never again. It would be OK if you didn't have to wear a helmet.... So for campsites it would be good.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image
Baalzamon
 
Posts: 4609
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:58 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
RonK wrote:
In rain I wear a disposable shower cap or a rain hat that fits over my helmet, this allows some airflow to cool my head whilst keeping me dry. I find the detachable hood stifling, and don't think it's worth buying.


+1
I'm thinking about a helmet rain cap. I've got the hood, worn it once and never again. It would be OK if you didn't have to wear a helmet.... So for campsites it would be good.


I use this one from Taiga. It works quite well. Taiga also make some interesting cycling rain shells but I don't know anything about how they perform.
Image
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5353
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby il padrone » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:17 pm

RonK wrote:
BoardRider wrote:So I guess this is a ventilation problem.I get so wet(from sweating)that now I don't bother wearing a jacket unless its below 4 and raining, when the the temperature starts to balance things out. Do you think the Showerpass Elite may help.

The Showerspass Elite 2.0 is ventilated via adjustable sleeve cuffs, pit zips, a two-way front zip, and a back vent. It's made of Event fabric, which is very breathable. It is the most well-ventilated and breathable shell I've ever encountered, and I've had a few of 'em. I think it's the back vent that makes the difference. It's only found on cycling specific shells but it's not at all common.

Even so this is no guarantee that you will stay dry, particularly if you sweat heavily, as I do. Rain means high humidity, and the body struggles to shed heat in such conditions, even at quite low temperatures.

I've found the Elite 2.0 usually performs well in temps below 10C if I'm not working too hard. At anything above 10C I don't bother with it, and just wear a windproof gilet instead. In rain I wear a disposable shower cap or a rain hat that fits over my helmet, this allows some airflow to cool my head whilst keeping me dry. I find the detachable hood stifling, and don't think it's worth buying.

Off the bike, it's a very comfortable jacket in most conditions, if cut a little short at the front.

+1 to all of the above, except I am OK in the Elite 2.0 to a bit higher than 10 degrees.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18426
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby il padrone » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:19 pm

Baalzamon wrote:I'm thinking about a helmet rain cap. I've got the hood, worn it once and never again. It would be OK if you didn't have to wear a helmet.... So for campsites it would be good.

Showerspass do make a helmet cover as well, with a rear flap. I have however been quite content with a $2.50 plastic shower cap. :D
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18426
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:34 pm

il padrone wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:I'm thinking about a helmet rain cap. I've got the hood, worn it once and never again. It would be OK if you didn't have to wear a helmet.... So for campsites it would be good.

Showerspass do make a helmet cover as well, with a rear flap. I have however been quite content with a $2.50 plastic shower cap. :D


$2.50? They are complimentary at hotels, and I have acquired quite a collection of them. :lol: But in NZ last year I lost a few when they blew off in the wind.

PS - and they are good covers for keeping your Brooks dry.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5353
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby elStado » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:08 pm

RonK wrote:$2.50? They are complimentary at hotels, and I have acquired quite a collection of them. :lol: But in NZ last year I lost a few when they blew off in the wind.

PS - and they are good covers for keeping your Brooks dry.


I've read that putting a plastic bag on a leather saddle isn't very good as it can't breath.

Maybe they were referring to long term storage, rather that temporary protection for a few hours from the elements? The official Brooks cover is quite expensive for what it is.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
User avatar
elStado
 
Posts: 2327
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:27 pm
Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby il padrone » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:16 pm

Yes, storing your saddle is different to using a bag to cover it overnight to protect from rain. The former would be bad, the latter is recommended by Brooks.

elStado wrote:The official Brooks cover is quite expensive for what it is.

Every Brooks saddle now comes with the new, improved* cover included :D

* It's the more waterproof version with no Brooks logo (avoids telling all you have an exxy saddle).
Last edited by il padrone on Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18426
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Next

Return to Touring Australia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit