training

Elly

training

Postby Elly » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:17 pm

just started on a avanti giro 08 road bike after a few injuries and a recovery too weak to go back to my sport.
was just after some advice on training techniques or training schedules??
Also if anyone has any advice on computers/heart rate monitors?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:30 pm

G'Day Elly, welcome outside :D

Without knowing your history, I'd suggest that for the first two weeks you just ride around a bit, exploring your local area, wherever that is and getting to know that fine machine under your bum. The athletes here may suggest differently.

Computers and HRM? I'd recommend a good 'puter with cadence function. (Hint - Sigma 1606) Cadence will help you run the "engine" in the most efficient rev range. I don't run a HRM, but many do and swear by them. There's quite a few that combine the functions of 'puter and HRM in one unit but someone else will have to offer tips there.

Most important thing is to enjoy your time on the bike, and everything else will fall into place :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:54 pm

Hi Elly and welcome.

Adding to Shaun's advice, you could meet up with some cyclists in your local area, where are you located?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Elly

Postby Elly » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:37 pm

hi thanks for the replyss guys! :D
ive played water polo and high level softball most of my sporting life aswell as netball but did a nerve in my leg so because i had been spending every weekend watching my boyfriend ride and really enjoyed it thought why not try it out :D
ive just been riding around and down to the city and stuff for the last two weeks
but im thinking its about time to pick up the pace
been on the trainer at 30 min intervals on the harder gears a few days

i live in adelaide, norwood
and definately enjoying the bike
but thinking ahead of time i start school again next week and that is why i decided to pick up the pace and get some harder training going on

do you personally think it is worth it getting the cadence, HRM, computer ?

thanks!

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:43 pm

Welcome to the nuthouse Elly.

Click on teh Bicycles Network Australia icon to go to our home page. Or just hit this link http://www.bicycles.net.au/

Look for clubs and organisations, then Sth Aust and look for the Norwood Cycling Club. They're not only local, they are as active as they come and they do everything - track, road, casual, the lot.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:47 pm

Check out this link too

viewtopic.php?t=4501

A good bike computer is a very useful tool, even if you only use it for keeping your log up to date. I've got the Polar CS200cad - speed, distance, cadence, HR, reminders to feed the cat (oh hang on, he does that himself), etc.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

stevos

Postby stevos » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:34 pm

elly dont you dare think of joining Norwood or ill never talk to you again :P hehe jokes

PACC all the way :P
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." -Lance Armstrong

othy

Postby othy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:51 pm

I'm one to go and try and find as much information as I can so I've picked up a few books on training (plus I like books) -

Lance Armstrong Performance Program
I got this up on a whim while browsing. Has lots of introductory information for someone who is just starting to ride, but is a little light on the training information. Contains various workouts that can be done etc and a 7 week training schedule that introduces periodization etc. Deals with HR zones and power.

The Cyclists Training Bible
I got this book because I had a 40% off Borders voucher and had read a few good things about it online. It is very comprehensive, with lots of interesting information in it. Way beyond my level - a line in the second chapter stuck with me, and paraphrasing, "If you're a new cyclist you should just spend the first year riding and not worry about many of the methods in this book". I'm currently still reading through the book. Focuses a lot on power output, but gives alternative methods using RPE and HR.

I've enjoyed reading both and have learned a fair bit. Both seem to stress the need for recovery and rest a lot. Be careful if you've taken up cycling because of other injuries - it may not be as beneficial as you think.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:00 pm

I'd second those earlier suggestions.

1) Join a local group/club for regular riding.
2) Improve general conditioning before taking on more structured training.
3) Get to know your equipment from minor repairs and bike handling.
4) Read about "power based training", "interval training".

Don't worry about HRM and other gadgets as you don't really need them. They are just gadgets. A simple cycle computer can do wonders if you know how to use those information properly.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:24 pm

Elly wrote:i live in adelaide, norwood
There's a pretty big bike club in norwood, so I've heard.

stevos

Postby stevos » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:58 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
hehe if she wants to remain my gf she wont be joining norwood :P
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." -Lance Armstrong

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:59 pm

stevos wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:
hehe if she wants to remain my gf she wont be joining norwood :P
She's got good taste in men?

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:03 pm

Ok, taken. Next thread you guys. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:32 pm

There is a book I got a few years back called 6 (or 7 or 8) weeks to cycling fitness or something similar. It wasn't bad, but have a read through first. I ordered it before it was on the shelves and when it arrived, I found I was pretty much doing week 5 stuff so I never followed the program completely. If you have just been riding the streets, it may be suitable.

As for hrm, I have a Polar F11 and love it. It doesn't integrate with my bike computer, but it was cheaper :) It also gives me a training program with the number of days I want to train and the intensity and length of those sessions. It doesn't care what exercise you do, only that you do it in specific heart rate zones. I swear by it.