Brisbane to Gold Coast 2011

themerlin

Re: Brisbane to Gold Coast 2011

Postby themerlin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:32 am

Just about to enter this event and I'm really not sure which Average speed category 20-25 or 25-30, I would like to think 25-30 but I guess it's hard to relate never having done this event before.
What type of riders are generally in this category and is it a big deal if i'm a bit slower.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:01 am

themerlin wrote:Just about to enter this event and I'm really not sure which Average speed category 20-25 or 25-30, I would like to think 25-30 but I guess it's hard to relate never having done this event before.
What type of riders are generally in this category and is it a big deal if i'm a bit slower.
There are all sorts in this ride. It's quite flat and the route is largely closed off so you may go a little faster than you think you will.

The big problems are when the 20-25 riders put themselves in the 30+ category and have masses of faster riders passing them.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:13 am

@themerlin, have you done a 100k ride before? When you're out on a recreational ride what is your cruising speed on the flat? Without knowing that i would recommend entering the 25-30 rather than 20-25, as the slightly earlier start gives you a bit more time to get through the busway before the cut off if you have any problems.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

waynohh

Postby waynohh » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:03 pm

11-25 or 11-28 for the return trip?

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:21 pm

waynohh wrote:11-25 or 11-28 for the return trip?
As flat as it is, I'd be surprised if you even need to get off the big chainring even with an 11-25!

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:00 pm

goneriding wrote:
As flat as it is, I'd be surprised if you even need to get off the big chainring even with an 11-25!
The first time I did it (2009) I think i sat in 50 - 16 or something from about halfway through the busway to the finish. Its flat as.

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:13 pm

themerlin wrote:Just about to enter this event and I'm really not sure which Average speed category 20-25 or 25-30, I would like to think 25-30 but I guess it's hard to relate never having done this event before.
A bit slower should be fine, a lot slower and you arent doing yourself any favours. There is no shame in starting in a slower group.

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:13 pm

ldrcycles wrote:@themerlin, have you done a 100k ride before? When you're out on a recreational ride what is your cruising speed on the flat? Without knowing that i would recommend entering the 25-30 rather than 20-25, as the slightly earlier start gives you a bit more time to get through the busway before the cut off if you have any problems.
The cut off for the busway shouldn't be a problem and shouldn't be a factor at all, no matter what group you start in - if you cant make the cut off you probably shouldn't be doing the 100k ride.

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:26 pm

Done a few 60-70 rides without ant issues. And I do Brighton to the valley most days, not a 100ks I know. Can sit at 30 without too much effort and normally do the flat part of sandgate road at 40 but I don't think I could keep that up for too long :)

Was going to try and set a goal of 33 average but I think that's a little optimistic but then again it's mention to be a challenge :)
ldrcycles wrote:@themerlin, have you done a 100k ride before? When you're out on a recreational ride what is your cruising speed on the flat? Without knowing that i would recommend entering the 25-30 rather than 20-25, as the slightly earlier start gives you a bit more time to get through the busway before the cut off if you have any problems.

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:49 am

themerlin wrote:Done a few 60-70 rides without ant issues. And I do Brighton to the valley most days, not a 100ks I know. Can sit at 30 without too much effort and normally do the flat part of sandgate road at 40 but I don't think I could keep that up for too long :)

Was going to try and set a goal of 33 average but I think that's a little optimistic but then again it's mention to be a challenge :)
The 25 - 30 group sound good for you ;-) It is far easier to draft people before overtaking them, than riding with faster riders and getting dropped and ending up riding on your own imo. If you can get into a good bunch you may be able to do a better time than you expect.

And at the second rest stop last year - I overheard quite a few people complaining about how the course wasnt flat :lol: There are some nice rolling hills near Coomera (or not so nice if you hate hills).

hosko

Postby hosko » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:45 am

Depends actually which side of the M1 you go down as to the hills you can expect.

If the course follows the western side (which I am going to guess it doesn't) it is a lot more hilly than the eastern side.

Have ridden to Ormeau from the Coast on both sides and the western side gives a much better workout compared to the eastern one!

However it is a relatively flat course compared to say the GC100 which kicks slightly into the hills of the hinterland.
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:26 am

Looks like I've got the appropriate leave passes for the weekend! Roll on October!

waynohh

Postby waynohh » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:01 am

goneriding wrote:
I'm more concerned with the hills around Brisbane getting home after 180+km, so I'll be putting the 28 on.

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:29 pm

I did it last year as my first 100km ride and apart from a 75km ride a month prior, had only ever ridden a handful of times up to 35km. I nominated at 25-30km/hr and finished it in 3:25. I found the wind around the cane fields more challenging than any hills. It was my first experience drafting in a group, and my first instinct was to get frustrated that I was having to apply the brakes not realizing that it was the fact that I was drafting that was making me feel faster!

I am going for under 3:10 this year...
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

Max

Postby Max » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:49 pm

Crittski wrote:It was my first experience drafting in a group, and my first instinct was to get frustrated that I was having to apply the brakes not realizing that it was the fact that I was drafting that was making me feel faster!
:lol: this happens to me all the time on big rides like this. I get "stuck" behind some "slowpoke" and overtake them out of frustration.. only to be slammed in the face with some terrific headwind and end up falling back and getting "stuck" behind them again! :lol: I really should know better by now.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

ezzy

Postby ezzy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:51 pm

I did it last year with 1 hr ride a week for 3 weeks but wouldn't recommend it though.
At least I didn't walk up the hills like a few of them.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:46 pm

I've always entered the 25-30 group, but have found the majority of them are not up to that for the whole ride, or even to the end of the busway. and many of them don't hold a straight line or stick left unless overtaking. very frustrating. this year I'll probably go in the 30+ group. An earlier start means less wind and bike and vehicle traffic, more experienced riders around you, cooler = less dehydration.

I'd suggest those who haven't done much drafting to practice off road with friends they know the riding skill of. Good drafting will improve your time dramatically.
The Jim Soorley Trail from Toombul and the Nundah Criterium track are good places to do this.
Drafting is dangerous, especially when you do it behind someone you don't know, and they don't know you are drafting.
There's heaps of pointers on the net about it. The most important in my view are to
- never cross wheels (put any part of your front wheel in front of their rear wheel),
- ride to the side slightly (15-30cm) so you can focus 20 metres in front of the guy you are drafting, don't stare at their wheel,
- let him know you are drafting. come to an understanding re signals and calls.
- give yourself an out if there is sudden braking in front of you (travel to the left or right whichever gives the better out.)
- when they stop pedaling to slow, don't brake, react more fluidly. keep spinning but let speed drop.
- the best draft is closest to their wheel, but it is more dangerous. 30-45 cm back is a good compromise.
- on open roads, with traffic lights and intersections, draft further back, say 45-75cm
- if you can hold 35kph on your own, then you are likely able to do low 40s in a paceline for a similar duration.
- keep in mind there is a rubber band effect when drafting. The further back from the pace setter you are, the more work you will do. Guys at the back of the paceline will do more work to stay on the wheel in front than the guy on the wheel of the pace setter. So everyone should rotate through each place in the paceline.
- vary your hand placement in a paceline. definitely on the drop bars when you are the pace setter, but will also help if the guy in front is smaller than you.
- if the pace is too high, then get off before you are smashed, and find a slower group.
- if you cannot find a group, have a chat to another steady rider doing your pace and ask if they want to jump on your wheel and share the effort. some will some won't. having someone draft you can reduce your effort by increasing air pressure behind you.
- your energy will most likely wax and wane on the trip. so consider doing the ride in intervals, longer intervals initially say 20-25 minutes, then drop pace for 5-10 minutes for drinks and gel/food, then repeat.
- keep in mind stopping for traffic lights requires acceleration away, which requires much more energy than steady state.

K2

Postby K2 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:45 am

marinmomma wrote:Haven't registered yet, but I'm planning on riding back....I just want to find away to avoid the nasty steep section on Fryer Rd Eagleby, after 140k+ I'm sure that it would do me in :roll:
Had a chance to explore this afternoon...

If you make a right at the bottom of the hill into Ramu St it'll turn into Boyd St running parallel to Fryar Rd. Two blocks up and left onto Logan St will bring you back to those lights you always have to wait for. Tis about twice the distance for about a quarter of the effort involved with that hill (rough estimates only I'm afraid :) )

I know you're not fond of the pathways, but if you're struggling to get back you can cut out the intersection to turn onto Fryar Rd and the huge roundabout before it by heading through Albert River Park. The path entrance will be on the right about 50m past that funny little service station (or whatever it is these days) on Distillery Rd (part of the service road north of the old distillery). It's next to a little street-like parking lot. It will take you right up to the parking lot of the Sea Scout hall on Ramu St and nicely onto the above alternaroute. Lots of duck poo on it, but more importantly, no glass, at least not today.

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:45 pm

winstonw wrote:I've always entered the 25-30 group, but have found the majority of them are not up to that for the whole ride, or even to the end of the busway. and many of them don't hold a straight line or stick left unless overtaking. very frustrating. this year I'll probably go in the 30+ group. An earlier start means less wind and bike and vehicle traffic, more experienced riders around you, cooler = less dehydration.
There are plenty of riders who put themselves in the 30+ group who aren't up to the ride or are inexperienced also.......

schurms

Postby schurms » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:11 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote:There are plenty of riders who put themselves in the 30+ group who aren't up to the ride or are inexperienced also.......

So true - the number of mountain bike riders I pass who are in the 30+ group is ridiculous. All they are trying to do is get an early start but it actually adds to the chaos and frustration of the faster riders behind them. I think people need to have realistic expectations about 30+ for the entire route - not just sometimes.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:56 pm

It is hard to know how to spread everyone out appropriately........maybe members of racing clubs could get start priority. Theoretically, this could encourage boy racers to join clubs and get the racing bug fixed in real events, rather then fund raisers and on commute routes.

I appreciate some guys can go fast on mountain bikes, but doubt most can do 30+ for 100km, so maybe start marshalls can sort them out at the start. Let the strong MTBs work their way forwards.

Maybe they need marshalls riding bicycles along the course, in identifiable gear, who maintain a bit of order and safety, and cite dangerous riders, and throw them out if required.

The other risk are people on poorly maintained bikes. IN the 100km Brissie to Bay ride, within 3 minutes of the start, the seat post of the bike of the guy immediately in front of me snapped or was loose and fell out; and it was only that I take things conservatively at the start that I didn't crash into him or the post, or veer into cars to the right. I appreciate anyone can have equipment failure, but it is all about reducing the probability.

Not suggesting it become an over-regulated nanny state event, just trying to make it enjoyable for more, and safer.

cloudy.but.fine

Postby cloudy.but.fine » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:37 am

Newbie here - not just to this forum. Decades ago I was a strong rider on two wheels (completed the inaugural Beneficial Finance 6Day Ultra Triathlon in South Australia). Now in my mid-sixties, still comparatively fit and have just purchased a bent trike. I'm excited by the prospect of getting riding-fit again and know I need to set reachable goals.
Living in rural northern rivers of NSW doesn't make newbie's lives easy (horrid condition of our unsealed roads).
Any thoughts on (a) bent trikes in the B to GC ride and (b) the 'do-ability' of the event for an old duck like moi?
Early pick-up by the sag wagon due to the hills (no honking on the trike!) ??
It's a whole new 'ballgame' for someone who used to be a pretty gung-ho rider and fairly intimidating ... Reality check rather than kind words please (although all reassurances welcomed :roll:)

Waza

Postby Waza » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:31 pm

Just signed up for this. only put down for the 20-25 group as yes i normally average more than that but i havent done a full 100km before.
ive been consistantly doing 40k rides pretty easy. i should be ok i hope.
2011 Giant Defy 2
2011 EMC Equip 1.7
+ Girl friends EMC 2.2FEM

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:04 pm

Max wrote:
Crittski wrote:It was my first experience drafting in a group, and my first instinct was to get frustrated that I was having to apply the brakes not realizing that it was the fact that I was drafting that was making me feel faster!
:lol: this happens to me all the time on big rides like this. I get "stuck" behind some "slowpoke" and overtake them out of frustration.. only to be slammed in the face with some terrific headwind and end up falling back and getting "stuck" behind them again! :lol: I really should know better by now.

Max
+1, exactly what i did on the Noosa Century last year (and this year but to a slightly lesser extent). I keep pace up the hills no worries and then when they reach the top they sit up and ride the brakes all the way down, drives me nuts, why wouldn't you tuck down and get some free extra speed?! So on almost every downhill in the Century i tear past whoever i was behind, only to run out of puff slogging along the flats and then drop back.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

notwal

Postby notwal » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:21 pm

cloudy.but.fine wrote:Newbie here - not just to this forum. Decades ago I was a strong rider on two wheels (completed the inaugural Beneficial Finance 6Day Ultra Triathlon in South Australia). Now in my mid-sixties, still comparatively fit and have just purchased a bent trike. I'm excited by the prospect of getting riding-fit again and know I need to set reachable goals.
Living in rural northern rivers of NSW doesn't make newbie's lives easy (horrid condition of our unsealed roads).
Any thoughts on (a) bent trikes in the B to GC ride and (b) the 'do-ability' of the event for an old duck like moi?
Early pick-up by the sag wagon due to the hills (no honking on the trike!) ??
It's a whole new 'ballgame' for someone who used to be a pretty gung-ho rider and fairly intimidating ... Reality check rather than kind words please (although all reassurances welcomed :roll:)
Search for Nitramluap's posts. He pedals a sweet faired recumbent trike and he posted a vid of the whole ride not too long ago.
judged, insulted, gone