To join or not to join.....(a club)

Livetoride

To join or not to join.....(a club)

Postby Livetoride » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:06 pm

Hey All,
I'm processing the idea of racing, need some more training to get me to a descent level prior to that, but after some thought and discussion with one member here I'm thinking I should join a club. My thoughts/questions are as follows -

1 - When joining a club does it have to be one around your area, is it a case of area sensitivity...
2 - Either way, any suggestions on which club(s) have a good reputation or are good for training...
3 - Would I be right in assuming that, different clubs offer different benefits, I.E I might find a club that is purely training rather than a coffee/social club...(not that there's anything wrong with that, just not my cuppa pardon the pun)
4 - I'm not much of a conversationalist or coffee drinker when riding, its not why I ride, is that problem...
5 - This might sound dumb, but to join, is there like a qualifying to get in or is it just a matter of signing up so to speak ....

Think that's it, any advise, help, answer ya de ya would be cool :D
Happy Days

sogood

Re: To join or not to join.....(a club)

Postby sogood » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:20 pm

Choose a club that suits your needs. If you need to get up to speed with fitness and familiarity with bunch riding (pre-requisite of racing), it's probably a good idea to find one nearby, so that you can join their regular training rides. Club bunch training ride provides a lot of the basics of bike racing. Without it, you can be a danger to yourself and others in a racing bunch.

So ask around and try some of their training rides and see if you enjoy the people and schedules, then decide which club to join.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:24 pm

Livetoride wrote:Hey All,
I'm processing the idea of racing, need some more training to get me to a descent level prior to that, but after some thought and discussion with one member here I'm thinking I should join a club. My thoughts/questions are as follows -

1 - When joining a club does it have to be one around your area, is it a case of area sensitivity...
2 - Either way, any suggestions on which club(s) have a good reputation or are good for training...
3 - Would I be right in assuming that, different clubs offer different benefits, I.E I might find a club that is purely training rather than a coffee/social club...(not that there's anything wrong with that, just not my cuppa pardon the pun)
4 - I'm not much of a conversationalist or coffee drinker when riding, its not why I ride, is that problem...
5 - This might sound dumb, but to join, is there like a qualifying to get in or is it just a matter of signing up so to speak ....

1. No & no
2. don't know your area
3. yes
4. no, sometimes I prefer those that shut up and concentrate on what they are doing in a group ride. Do your talking with your legs.
5. no & yes

toppity

Postby toppity » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:46 am

Livetoride wrote:Hey All,

1) It helps I reckon. Group rides/training will be closer to home as will the races themselves (usually). But there are no zoneing rules that I'm aware of.
2) I see you are in Melbourne. There are many clubs here. I haven't heard too many bad things about any of them. CCCC and StKilda would be two of the biggest I know of. I used to race with CCCC many years ago, I'm now with Southern Vets but will end up koining my local club next year (see my answer to question 1 for reason). If you are prepared to make the effort yourself people are usually very friendly and prepared to talk/help. Remember we are all there for the same reason.
3) Yes, though there is no reason why you can't train hard then have a coffee. Being socialable sometimes helps with being accepted into new environments...like clubs.
4) No.
5) Not sure about any qualification to join particular clubs. Never been a problem for me. The clubs are usually keen to get members and sell another license. If you are going to race be prepared to part with about $200 for a licence and club membership.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:04 am

Thanks guys good fee back.
toppity wrote: 3) Yes, though there is no reason why you can't train hard then have a coffee. Being socialable sometimes helps with being accepted into new environments...like clubs.
Good point, won't hurt to be social :D CCCC & St Kilda might be good ones for me, I'll check them out.
Alex Simmons/RST wrote: 4. no, sometimes I prefer those that shut up and concentrate on what they are doing in a group ride. Do your talking with your legs.
Great minds and all that :)
sogood wrote:familiarity with bunch riding (pre-requisite of racing), it's probably a good idea to find one nearby, so that you can join their regular training rides. Club bunch training ride provides a lot of the basics of bike racing. Without it, you can be a danger to yourself and others in a racing bunch.
I have the whole bunch ridding etiquette and signals & rules so to speak its more the finer skills and confidence I need to acquire, as you say to keep myself and everyone else safe at the higher speeds and levels.

Thanks guys fair play to ya
Happy Days

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:52 am

There are also some regular rides whereby you don't have to be a member off. For example, North Road Ride (NRR) and Maling Rd Ride (MRR) are some examples. You can find quite a few rides on BV forums, which is more focused on Melbourne Cycling.

Jon

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:30 pm

silkishuge wrote:There are also some regular rides whereby you don't have to be a member off. For example, North Road Ride (NRR) and Maling Rd Ride (MRR) are some examples. You can find quite a few rides on BV forums, which is more focused on Melbourne Cycling.

Jon
Nice one, I live 5 mins from North road, that would be a good starting point thanks mate will check that out.
Happy Days

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Livetoride wrote:
silkishuge wrote:There are also some regular rides whereby you don't have to be a member off. For example, North Road Ride (NRR) and Maling Rd Ride (MRR) are some examples. You can find quite a few rides on BV forums, which is more focused on Melbourne Cycling.

Jon
Nice one, I live 5 mins from North road, that would be a good starting point thanks mate will check that out.
There are quite a number of strong riders in the group and the size can vary from 10 to a large peleton. Typically a friendly bunch but good to start from the back and make your way gradually to the front to gain confidence and show people around you your ability as well.

Jon

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:20 pm

silkishuge wrote:
Livetoride wrote:

Jon
There are quite a number of strong riders in the group and the size can vary from 10 to a large peleton. Typically a friendly bunch but good to start from the back and make your way gradually to the front to gain confidence and show people around you your ability as well.

Jon
Just checked it out on youtube, looks awesome, that's one of my semi regular routes down to Frankston. My only drama is I commute 52k Mon-Fri.. ah fark it, suck it up, 2 or 3 days a week I could do the NRR and go directly to work from the end of the ride, that'd be aprox 90K on those days :D :D. So you just rock up, say hi and go for gold... Looks awesome :D
Happy Days

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:35 pm

Livetoride wrote: Just checked it out on youtube, looks awesome, that's one of my semi regular routes down to Frankston. My only drama is I commute 52k Mon-Fri.. ah fark it, suck it up, 2 or 3 days a week I could do the NRR and go directly to work from the end of the ride, that'd be aprox 90K on those days :D :D. So you just rock up, say hi and go for gold... Looks awesome :D
Thats not so bad. Thats what alot of them do and you will get used to it in no time. Only words of advice is to watch out for the light changes at the start of the ride.
If you want a more hilly course with lots of opportunity for KOM, try the MRR and ride with the hounds bunch. Its very competitive and attacks are continuous from start to finish, ~ 30km and 600-700m of hills. One thing about riding with the hounds is that they don't wait. The objective is to finish a head of everyone else (ie. the earlier groups)

Jon

number21

Postby number21 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:37 pm

Hey Ltr,

I think I'm in a similar boat to you, although in Sydney. I rocked up to my local track last Saturday to enquire about racing. I was advised to wait until October or November and then get a license that lasts 18months for about $250(?) otherwise I'd need a 6 month license for almost $200 which would need renewing in the new year.

In the meantime he suggested I get involved with one of their group training rides and meet some of the other members.

I assume its the same in VIC. Good luck with it either way.

mjd

Postby mjd » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:58 pm

Do it. I ride all week on my own & look forward to a Saturday morning ride with the gang & then usually race in the arvo. Just nice to have a casual ride with some ego KOM's & Green Jersey sprints here & there :roll: . Just having fun & nothing serious after a week slogging it out on your own makes a nice change. Saturday arvo gets a little more serious :lol:

ajmit3

Postby ajmit3 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:56 pm

Hey Live to Ride - you've probably looked at this, but here is a summary of your options. If you can hang on on tuesday and thurs , you're a decent rider. Avoid the back, because there is a lot of yo yoing ...

http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/bunch-ri ... rne-rides/