5-6 year old DS- Any recommendations

brokenbus

5-6 year old DS- Any recommendations

Postby brokenbus » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:36 pm

Id like to get a DS XC bike and because I am on limited budget I have been looking at maybe soemthing around 5 or so years old, may $600 or so. Does anyone have any recommendations of what was a good frame around this time period. Brakes and gears can be upgraded as they wear out but I guess something with a good frame is what I need. There was a Kona King Kikapu on ebay that would of done it for me but the seller pulled it off before I was ready to bid. I am 6ft tall if anyone has something in the garage they are looking to offload.

Cheers
Nicko

trailgumby

Re: 5-6 year old DS- Any recommendations

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Cannondale Jekylls are good. I've been riding one for a few years and have been very very happy with it, only upgrading recently to a Rize. My son has inherited my old bike.

I have one in a medium size in *very* nice condition (son's old bike, not used much and no crashes - more than I can say of myself :oops:), but it may be a little out of your budget. Am looking for about $800. Comes with tubeless, Easton carbon bars and 3x9 XTR running gear, and a choice of either 100 or 130mm Lefty forks, and full-length sealed shifter cables.

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:51 pm

That could be a possibilty (in a few weeks) TG but would it be big enough for me?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:55 pm

Agreed, no good if it's not the right size. How tall are you?

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:17 pm

Got a mate who has been riding around on a Jekyll he bought second hand in about 2004. Nothing seems to kill them.

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:53 pm

I would steer clear and stick to hardtails. I pulled the rear end off my four year old trance yesterday and it is completely stuffed. It looked ok and there was no play, but the bearings were dead and had eaten into the swing arm.

I wouldn't buy any secondhand duallies without pulling the bearings out for examination first. I don't think many ebay sellers will allow that.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:48 pm

Understand you've had a bad experience, but that doesn't mean everyone else will. You're extrapolating from a sample of one.

I've had no such dramas, and would not have been able to afford the nice stable of bikes we have had if I'd not bought secondhand. There is some risk, sure, but that is managed by doing your homework.

In fact the most troublesome bikes I've had have been the ones bought new: a Mongoose Tyax HT bought in 2006 with shifter and chain jump problems I eventually resolved myself; and my new Rize, being my first new bike in 5 years, has some issues I'm resolving amicably with the shop I bought from. Disappointing, but there you go. I'm sure most new purchases are fine, although I'm yet to experience one myself.

I'd suggest the condition of the rest of the bike would be a clue to how well it's been treated. The condition of this Jekyll is very nice. It has been raced. The previous owner was very fussy, and that condition has been maintained. The frame exhibits the typical Cannondale atention to detail. No ugly fillet welds visible on this baby. 8)

Anyway, enough salesmanship from me. More than happy for inspection prior to purchase.

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:55 pm

I think the frame you are offering is a different proposition to a mystery eBay bargain. Given it is built up and you have a genuine reason for selling I would consider it, pending a quick look over.

You don't get any of that on eBay. I would be very suspicious of old dually frames and not hand over any cash for one without some basic checks. If the bearings are dead there is a real chance the rear end will be scrap. My frame wasn't even showing any signs until I heard a squeak and went exploring.

That is my experience anyway. I much prefer hardtails which helps, but if you want a dually make sure you check the frame out very carefully before handing over cash. It isn't an uncommon problem for bikes that age.

jheeno

Postby jheeno » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:11 pm

if you are slightly flexible with your budget ...
ive seen giant trances on ebay 2006 - 2008 go for between 700-900

I would check out the bike prior to the auction ending ...

might be a different situation if you are the winning bidder and then change your mind and chose not to buy

different story if the seller knowingly knew there was damage to the bike and did not include it in the item description

In the end I opted not to buy second hand seeing as though you can buy NEW old stock bikes (say 1-2 years old 2009, 2010 models) brand new at the local bike shop for between $1000-$1500 depending on the model

But your budget is better fit for a newer second hand hardtail that would most likely yield better specs and a good front fork too.
Keep in mind you would want to service your newly purchased DS second hand bike ... which will be expensive if you opt to get the front and rear suspension serviced too.

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:45 pm

Thanks for the responces.
TG I am 182cm tall. I am away at the moment and are only looking at the computor occasionally
Cheers
Nicko

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:36 pm

Hmmm. 182 is kind of in the middle between the two sizes.

I'm 185 and the large that I ride is a good fit (or maybe it's what I'm used to). The medium I find is a bit on the small side. If you were 180cm or less I'd say go for it, but you're in that zone where it gets down to preference. Some guys like slightly smaller bikes because they're more flickable, and easier to move around on over technical terrain especially when descending. However, it would not be as comfortable on a longer ride and would not climb as well for you as the 2cm longer next size up.

I'm thinking that since this is your first DS bike and your local trails are for the most part not particularly technical*, you might do better with the next frame size up. I know I've probably talked myself out of a sale here, but I'd prefer you get the right-sized bike.

For those recommending BB looks at a hardtail, he already has one with a decent entry-level spec good enough to be reliable on his local trails. I think a dually is a logical next step. He will be a lot more confident on the singletrack nirvana he lives close to ... Kiwarrak! <insert jealousy emoticon here>

* technical options exist if you want them, though