Safe route from Central Coast to Sydney

johnhunt

Safe route from Central Coast to Sydney

Postby johnhunt » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:22 pm

Can anyone recommend a safer route than the pacific highway down to Sydney from Gosford (or near Gosford)? I really want to ride to Sydney but I also don't want to get killed. Thanks!

JV911

Re: Safe route from Central Coast to Sydney

Postby JV911 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:55 am

old pacific highway via mt white, brooklyn etc
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Crowella

Postby Crowella » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Really can't suggest anything other than the Old Pacific Highway. Not the safest route in the world but comparing it to the F3...

I'm taking a ride around there soon from Brooklyn back to Gosford and from my experience driving (and others riding) on the Old Pacific:

- Places such as the Mooney Mooney creek section will often be wet on the downhill corners even if it hasn't rained for a while. A few guys in my group have come off there over their time riding in the past so just be careful with downhills, even though they will be ever so useful.

- Weekend warriors on their motorbikes or in their cars will be a hazard. Guess that means ride predictable and be seen (use lights even in daylight). Depending on what day you ride, you won't see much traffic.
Adam
Specialized Sirrus 2011
Avanti Quantum 2.0 2011

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:42 am

Hi John,

If you do a search on my posts you'll find a few on the Sydney to Gosford route. Old Pacific is it though. And it's as safe as you make it. The traffic you get consists of bikes, both kinds, and both kinds know that both kinds are on the road and usually take care. The rest consists mainly of locals or people who like driving instead of being bored on a freeway, the good part here is that they can actually drive and that they are usually aware of other road users, the locals are aware that the road is used by lots of bikes too.

There are plenty of nice rest stops and refuelling / watering spots but you'll have to plan it if your riding in very hot weather. The hills are a little daunting at first but keep at it and you'll be rewarded by great downhills. Watch out as the shadows hide wet spots and bumps. Stay away from fallen leaves on the downhills too, they can get slippery. Very cold in winter down at MooneyMooney creek.

At a good pace, with no breaks, Gosford waterfront to Berowra station is just a tad over 2 hours. I ride it regularly to family dos in Berowra and usually pull in at around 2:15

The worst part is getting up Kariong Hill, there's a bit straight after the lights at the foot of the hill where you stake your claim on the lane for about 20 metres but after that it's shoulder.

pm me for more info if you can't find it.

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish