Why do you commute by bike?

find_bruce

Re: Why do you commute by bike?

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:41 pm

Because I hate car drivers and I am doing everything in my power to ensure their frustrating and interminable trip will take at least 3 seconds longer - or at least I am sure that's what they think.

It seems the only thing they hate more than me occupying any piece of "their" road is the twisty windy downhill bit where they can't catch me - I may be old and fat, but I am only old fat and slow on the uphill bits.

The reality of course is a bit less dramatic - because I can, it's quicker, cheaper, more convenient, good exercise, I have a safe route, I have showers & storage at work.
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:49 pm

Good question!, fear of dieing young, fear of old age and the the feeling of being alive cycling gives me. :D
49 years of age and feeling better then I did 5 years ago, riding to me is a means to an end, long life and happiness and so for it's working in spades. :D :D

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

discrepancy

Postby discrepancy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:18 pm

Because my camel hates the early starts.

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:15 pm

Because the $10 I save a day on public transport goes towards a new bike.
I need to off set carbon by sticking it in frame.

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:16 pm

How far is your ride to work anyway?

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:22 pm

Marto

Postby Marto » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:59 am

Because it is fun whizzing about on a bike. There are lots of other benefits, but it all stems from that.
themerlin wrote:How far is your ride to work anyway?
20km in, 22km home. There is not some tectonic shift every day, but I go a different way to avoid some dodgy right turns etc.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:51 am

appended to my last post:

waynohh

Postby waynohh » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:50 pm

Average speed by bike: 28km/h
Average speed by car: 20km/h

Add showers to that and it takes the exact same time about 1 hr.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:17 pm

Commuting by bike is the only way to go. Quick, fun, and convenient. It seems like a long way to start but after a bit it gets easy and you wonder why you haven't always been doing it this way. :)

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:36 pm

Because you don't keep fit driving a car!

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:56 pm

martinjs wrote:Good question!, fear of dieing young, fear of old age and the the feeling of being alive cycling gives me. :D
49 years of age and feeling better then I did 5 years ago, riding to me is a means to an end, long life and happiness and so for it's working in spades. :D :D

Martin
Just a quick follow up re some others reasons, being in a country town and although I'm only 7.5k's from work, here at least anyone at my distance or further out would be quicker if they went by car or motorcycle due to our roads being mostly 100kph speed limit and lack of congestion.
So other than fitness and saving money on car, I actually lose time by riding to work. Harder to convince out of townies to commute by pushbike.
My morning ride is between 20 to 30k's so I have to go out of town more to get the wanted distance. :D 8) Not such a bad thing. 8)

Martin

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:51 pm

Why do I commute? Four reasons really:

1. Fitness;
2. Health;
3. Saves Time;
4. Saves Money

Let me explain. The fitness reason is obvious, nothing like peddling a heavy mountain bike for developing the heart, lungs and legs. I have see far too many guys younger than me come down with all sorts of life-style related health problems.

Almost 10 years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes with all the associated health issues (obstructive sleep apena, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression and failing kidneys) :cry: . Currently, apart from the blood pressure medication I am off all medication. The bike isn’t the only reason for the turnaround but it is a large part of the reason.

Well riding the bike turns a 30 minute drive into a 45 minute cycle so I’m actually down ½ an hour per day. However I have achieved my daily exercise so no need to go to a gym or for a walk or anything else. All things considered riding the bike is at worst time-neutral and probably saves time.

As I still own a car so the only savings I get are less fuel, reduced wear & tear and less frequent servicing. On the cost side there is bike servicing, clothing, replacement tyres, tubes etc. I figure that riding is probably only cost neutral. However, I don’t need to join a gym and taking a longer-term view the economic benefits of being healthier far outweigh the cost of an occasional bike tyre.

Oh, a fifth reason is that the sunrises over Moreton Bay can be truly magnificent. :D
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:36 pm

Most if not all of the above! Sitting in that freeway logjam would crack me in a day. I arrive calm and energised instead of harried, frustrated and moaning about parking.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Xponti

Postby Xponti » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:27 pm

Why?

Because I own a bike
Because I would rather ride in the rain than ride in a train
Because it keeps me fit

But most of all BECAUSE I CAN!
There is no peace only Passion (for cycling), through Passion I gain Strength (in my legs), through Strength I gain Power (watts), through Power I gain Victory!

2007 Giant OCR1
Malvern Star Pinnacle MTB

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:40 pm

Oxford wrote:
winstonw wrote:Of course, this question should be answered with a question:
"What does it cost you per week to own and operate your car/s?"

<snip>

Am sure there's a stack more reasons, and if cycle ways were better developed and safer, cycling numbers would increase dramatically.
Absolutely, took some convincing with the wife, but we became albeit for a month, a one car, one motorbike (me only) plus bikes (me only) family. We are buying a second car again but the current car will go to a daughter taking us back to where I want to be. One Car, One Motorbike. Car for wifey as she has no transport options and is on 24hr call, moto and bikes for me (and for me to take wifey for fun weekend rides on the moto).
I went back to one car and one motorbike in 2008, then last year I went to 1 car. My wife drives the whole 3kms to work (she only works 2 week days so I use the car if I need it)while I ride 13km. Still can't convince her to start cycling.

Going back to having a moto soon because I miss having one. Will just be a weekend toy though and not a commuter.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:05 pm

Mugglechops wrote:My wife drives the whole 3kms to work (she only works 2 week days so I use the car if I need it)while I ride 13km. Still can't convince her to start cycling.
Forget cycling, that is walking distance. Get her to do it - for her health and exercise, tell her it'll keep her slim :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

zephy

Postby zephy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:15 pm

interesting reading.... living rurally i've no real idea about traffic, pt or commuting..... I work from home so walk to work but ride 10-30km a day for all the reasons mentioned plus the fresh air, the feel of gliding along the road effortlessly (doesn't happen often - particularly on the heavy old mtb!! but sometimes) and the shear pleasure of just being phyisically able to cycle..... just being "out there"....

plus "I have a dream" of either riding to Perth or up to Darwin... 8) bugger it, to ride to Perth AND up to Darwin :D

Just an ol' man, riding an ol' bike.... every hill feels like Alpe d'Heuz....

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:31 pm

Oxford wrote:Seriously IP are you married? That is going to be one ugly conversation. :mrgreen:
Well, yes. But it's my wife who is the one that pulls the bike out to do the shopping, ride to church and who goes for a regular daily walk.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:45 am

I have been trying for 4 years without any luck to get her to ride or walk.

Have given up now.

BeerRider

Postby BeerRider » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:24 pm

I love commuting by bike, apart from when it rains, because I hate going to the gym and the exercise I get from it helps offset my other enjoyments in life...... Food and beer!!

The main reason would definitely be the health benefit. I don't want to come home after work and have to get down to the gym to do a bit of exercise. This way I do it on the way to work and back, essentially giving me more time at home.

Last year I was working for a company which had a gym membership attached to the job, which I tried to use, but hated going to the gym. I started riding in 2-3 times a week which was 50km one way. It was a great start to the day and gave me a sense of fulfillment that the gym never gave me. The other two days I would catch the train 2/3 of the way in and then cycle the last 15km. I always finished work quite late, so it was better to catch the train home than test people's night driving.

Dropbear20

Postby Dropbear20 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:47 pm

Because I can...I love riding and wanted to do more than 1 ride on Sunday morning. Yes, there are a heap of other reasons but really I commute by bike so I can ride more.

Milar

Postby Milar » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:10 pm

I'm almost embarrassed to say I've only started cycling to work full time this year. I've been at this house for over 5 years and at the same job all that time. My work has secure bike storage, shower and change rooms.If I go direct, it's 8.5km and a very safe route by Sydney standards. I now ride the "long" way which is a touch over 11km So why do I do it?

I'm finally fitting exercise into my schedule for virtually no time cost (3 kids under 5, demanding job, house renos and community work takes so much time)
We don't need to pay costs for owning 2 cars (~$5000 pa - nice tax free increase!)
I am more environmentally friendly
My wife loves the new body :D

So the real question for me is why did I think I couldn't do it earlier? To be honest I don't know anymore :roll:

Yes rain sucks, and cold mornings aren't my favourite but they are a small price to pay. Now I just need convincing to ride for fun and not just transport... maybe next year!

Seventeen

Postby Seventeen » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:57 pm

why? somtimes i wonder why too? for me a good ride home after work clears the head 8)

maDKient

Postby maDKient » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:59 pm

Because I love it.

Then there's health, environmental, practical, and emotional (see above :D) reasons.