Magic Shine

find_bruce

Re: Magic Shine

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:44 pm

Xplora, I am interested in seeing the 808e & 818 in real life, so if you want a hand I would be happy to help.

Cheers

Bruce
Anything you can do, I can do slower

l45er

Postby l45er » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:47 pm

Just had my first night commute with my new Magicshine MJ-808e. Bought on ebay for around $75AUD incl postage.

First Impressions:

What can I say - bang for buck, this light is bright. I didn't even feel the need to go to High Beam, the Low Beam was fine for the commute through the backstreets of the Inner West (Sydney).

I am using the supplied O-ring mount on a set of 3T Ergosum Pro bars. Works fine, seems to slip a little bit over bumps though (gloss finish on the bars probably doesn't help). Using supplied velcro bag strapped to top tube at fork end. With careful wrapping of the power cable I've managed to keep it stationary (this morning it kept sliding towards my saddle).

The flashing mode is very bright (possibly too bright). It uses the high beam and as such I decided to switch it off midway into my morning ride. In dawn light this morning I could see the flashing mode reflecting off street signs 100-150m away.

The light head is much smaller than I was expecting. The light it throws out tends to spread well and evenly, with a concentration at the centre. You can clearly see any bumps, potholes, rubbish etc on the road with enough time to dodge them.

For yumcha as others have mentioned, they are surprisingly well made (metal heatsink casing). Durability wise, I think it will last the distance.

I will note that I was previously commuting using a Cateye HL-EL135 (2xAA batteries). This was just used on flashing mode as it didn't produce enough light for any other purpose.

sblack

Postby sblack » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:23 pm

l45er wrote:Works fine, seems to slip a little bit over bumps though (gloss finish on the bars probably doesn't help).
I was also having this issue and recently changed to hanging it under the bar instead of sitting it on top. I did it to clear the top of the bars to temporarily put something else on top but it seams to have fixed the slipping issue so it now lives under the bars permanently.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:29 pm

I should put some feedback in here. I bought my magic shine last year and didn't use it a lot. However this winter the thing has been working overtime. Like for 4 days a week the thing is doing 2.5 hours in the morning and 45 minutes at night. There isn't a lot of charge left at the end of the day but it hasn't let me down as long as I charge it nightly. :mrgreen:

I reckon that really is very good. Very happy at this stage. :D

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:08 pm

I've had mine for 18months or longer now its one of te original ones CT808 900 Lumen. Its worked fine and I use it for 1.5 to 2hrs 4 days a week in Summer and 5 days a week in winter. The only issue I had was water in the old bat pack. I now have two packs and they work fine wet or dry. Lots of haters claiming they are cheap but they are normally the ones who spend big bucks to buy lights that are really no better or in most cases worse. I've also got a MJ 818 and its just as impressive a great well made rear light.

MM

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:58 am

The only thing to remember with these lights is that the poor quality control means that you are playing the chinese lottery. You will hear lots of positive reviews because for most users, the light will perform flawlessly. A minority will have a dud, either the battery or lighthead dies early. A lucky few will get a front row seat to a spectacular demonstration of the sudden release of potential energy.
Comedian wrote:I should put some feedback in here. I bought my magic shine last year and didn't use it a lot. However this winter the thing has been working overtime. Like for 4 days a week the thing is doing 2.5 hours in the morning and 45 minutes at night. There isn't a lot of charge left at the end of the day but it hasn't let me down as long as I charge it nightly. :mrgreen:
After 2.5 hours in the morning and 45 at night, there would be no charge left in me, let alone the magic shine :D
Comedian wrote:I reckon that really is very good. Very happy at this stage. :D
And now you are just boasting - as would I if I could :mrgreen:
Anything you can do, I can do slower

l45er

Postby l45er » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:38 pm

sblack wrote:
l45er wrote:Works fine, seems to slip a little bit over bumps though (gloss finish on the bars probably doesn't help).
I was also having this issue and recently changed to hanging it under the bar instead of sitting it on top. I did it to clear the top of the bars to temporarily put something else on top but it seams to have fixed the slipping issue so it now lives under the bars permanently.
Thanks for the tip. Will try this out on my next night commute.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:00 pm

I have won the Chinesae lottery - my MJ-818 and 808 are still going well despite 15 months of use and abuse even in wet weather. :D

Chitts

Crawf....

Postby Chitts » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:06 pm

.....please can you post up a picture of how you modified your Ay-up mount, or PM me as I have just joined and don't seem able to contact you directly.

Thanks
Ian

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:24 pm

Here are some pics, as you can see the ay-up mount has just been cut away in sections, then find a suitable screw and send it straight through the centre.
It's not pretty but it's secure and allows you to centralise the light on your bars. Works for the front and rear lights too.
Be careful not to destroy any threads.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:49 pm

interesting to hear that these have lasted. My ultrafire 501 torches which where perfect-"never missed a beat" for the first year don't seem to like being kept on the bike. Both flicker between bright and not so bright and off.

After both failed on me on 2 separate occasions, i have the ayups on order.

I might desolder them and see if i can figue out what the issue is, if I can, I might get one of these cheap ones that I don't mind leaving on the bike.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:03 pm

Crawf wrote:Here are some pics, as you can see the ay-up mount has just been cut away in sections, then find a suitable screw and send it straight through the centre.
It's not pretty but it's secure and allows you to centralise the light on your bars. Works for the front and rear lights too.
Be careful not to destroy any threads.
<SNIP>
Thanks Crawf.
Unfortunately the design means losing the ability to refit the Ay-Ups (I tend to lend my bikes out to people).
Nice idea though. How does it go with waterproofing?

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:59 pm

eeksll wrote:interesting to hear that these have lasted. My ultrafire 501 torches which where perfect-"never missed a beat" for the first year don't seem to like being kept on the bike. Both flicker between bright and not so bright and off.

I might desolder them and see if i can figue out what the issue is, if I can, I might get one of these cheap ones that I don't mind leaving on the bike.
Check the switches, dismantle and clean with contact cleaner, blow out with compressed air/bike pump and reassemble. Also clean the threads and relube to improve conductivity. Nothing much else fails.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:15 pm

Pushy wrote:
eeksll wrote:interesting to hear that these have lasted. My ultrafire 501 torches which where perfect-"never missed a beat" for the first year don't seem to like being kept on the bike. Both flicker between bright and not so bright and off.

Check the switches, dismantle and clean with contact cleaner, blow out with compressed air/bike pump and reassemble. Also clean the threads and relube to improve conductivity. Nothing much else fails.
What lube do you use? I presume it must be conductive lube. I don't think its the switch, its good for 10 ish min, then it goes to low mode, but I plan to solder the switch closed as a test.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:31 pm

eeksll wrote:What lube do you use? I presume it must be conductive lube. I don't think its the switch, its good for 10 ish min, then it goes to low mode, but I plan to solder the switch closed as a test.
It is better is to not use conductive lube on switches. You don't want leakage across the contact.

Leiothrix

Postby Leiothrix » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:15 pm

if you want to lubricate the switch itself, get some dielectric grease. it's meant to be used to lubricate switch contacts, relay mechanisms, etc.

it's non-conductive, will increase the life of the mechanism and can also help prevent contacts sticking/welding shut.

Parrott

Magic Shine

Postby Parrott » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:32 pm

Went for a bunch ride with the club tonight and there was some serious fire power with all our lights combined 8). There were some far more expensive lights in the group. The magic shine was as bright as anything else and brighter than most.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:13 pm

Recharged one of the lights this afternoon, about 3 hours. Little light turned from red to Green to advise that charging was complete. Go team. I've got both batteries on the bike, I think it makes for a good backup solution.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:21 pm

Looking at getting a spare light up front but am confused by the different vesrions of what seems to be the same thing.

On DX, the following 3 900 Lumen lights are available ;

HA-III SSC P7-C (SXO) 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED Bike Light Set

MJ-808E HA-III CREE XM-LT60 3-Mode 1000-Lumen LED Bike Light Set (4x18650)

MJ-808 HA-III SSC P7-C (SXO)3-Mode 900-Lumen LED Bike Light Set

Wots the diff man ?????

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:38 pm

All slightly different LEDs, different shapes, but the same thing. A duck is a duck is a duck. Only real concerns are the connectors and the voltages, which are identical on those lights.

l45er

Postby l45er » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:48 pm

MichaelB wrote:Looking at getting a spare light up front but am confused by the different vesrions of what seems to be the same thing.

On DX, the following 3 900 Lumen lights are available ;

HA-III SSC P7-C (SXO) 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED Bike Light Set

MJ-808E HA-III CREE XM-LT60 3-Mode 1000-Lumen LED Bike Light Set (4x18650)

MJ-808 HA-III SSC P7-C (SXO)3-Mode 900-Lumen LED Bike Light Set

Wots the diff man ?????
The 808e is the newest version. It has updated battery pack (rubber coated) and a CREE T6 LED which is brighter than the SSC P7. There is a review between the 808 and 808e here which notes the updates http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... int-review.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:09 pm

l45er wrote: The 808e is the newest version. It has updated battery pack (rubber coated) and a CREE T6 LED which is brighter than the SSC P7. There is a review between the 808 and 808e here which notes the updates http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... int-review.

Cheers.

Like the duck analogy !!!!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:18 pm

What are the beam patterns on magicshines like? Or does the sheer volume of light negate that to some extent?
The lights im using atm are the standard 1 watt AAA powered jobs from the LBS, a pretty anaemic output (although way better than 3/5LED types) but in order to get any distance they have a very narrow beam which darts around a lot. One of those on the bars plus a surprisingly bright 3 LED Varta headlamp from woolies for about $10 does a passable job but i really need better.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:26 pm

ldrcycles wrote:What are the beam patterns on magicshines like? Or does the sheer volume of light negate that to some extent?
The lights im using atm are the standard 1 watt AAA powered jobs from the LBS, a pretty anaemic output (although way better than 3/5LED types) but in order to get any distance they have a very narrow beam which darts around a lot. One of those on the bars plus a surprisingly bright 3 LED Varta headlamp from woolies for about $10 does a passable job but i really need better.

Difference is like night & day. I too used to use 2 off 1W LED's. Chalk & Cheese. If you win the Chinese Lottery (better odds than not), you will wonder why you didn't do it before.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:55 pm

Just got a 'Cree Q5 240lumen' torch type light for $19, Fantastic, really nice quality AND a solid bracket (very unusual on ebay lights) and makes the 1W lights seem like riding along with a lit match. I'm still keen on a magic shine type light but only if they have a wide beam, a supernova 10cm across is no use.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia