frame size - Please Help

casper001

frame size - Please Help

Postby casper001 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:15 pm

Gday guys,

Just wondering what does 700C frame size mean? Does that convert into centimetres and if so what?

Thanks heaps

Chris

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:21 pm

700c is a wheel size, not a frame size. If you give us some more details, we might be able to help out.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: frame size - Please Help

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:25 pm

Hi Chris
casper001 wrote: Just wondering what does 700C frame size mean? Does that convert into centimetres and if so what?
Am I mistaken when I say that 700C doesn't refer to the size of the frame but rather that it is made from 700C Aluminium tubing? Usually bikes sizes are in centimetres or Inches with some cheap bikes calling their bikes Small, Medium and Large (there are a number exceptions however with some top end frames using a more general classification as well).

Most of the brand names mention the Aluminium tubing they use and shows the quality of the material. It refers to the metal composition and weight. Some brands who use more generic sourced tubing try and give it a similar sounding name to more expensive products.

700C may alternatively be the bike series name, I think there is a bike from Yukon called the 700C ... the next one up (not refering to bike size) may be the 700D for example.

Have a look at the technical specifications for the bike (you should find them easily online from the manufacturers website) and see what sizes the frame comes in and get you bike shop to help measure you up.

Cheers
Christopher

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:27 pm

Yep... could also be the wheel size... however with more details we will know.

casper001

Postby casper001 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:35 pm

Ok,

This might help

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/XTREME-14-Sp-All ... dZViewItem

I dont know where to look, its just something i thought about getting

Cheers again

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:52 pm

Thanks casper001!
Be a bit careful.
The 700C seems to be an attempt to position the frame against the 7005 aluminium alloy tubeset (I am unaware of a 700C tubeset, but I don't profess to know everything). The groupset components have some 'unknown' brands and Shimano components that I can't find on their website, and they appear (from the photo's) to be a mix of road and mtb components.
That doesn't mean that it won't be a good buy for $200 (and even better for less), just that it is a bit of a risk.
If you buy it, knowing where you stand, then it can still be a good buy. I class my mtb in that category - less than $150 for a reasonable frame with Shimano Tourney components that I have upgraded over time via eBay.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:24 pm

One thing I have just noticed is that the front fork is dead straight. This will result in all vibrations going straight to your hands.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:45 pm

RRP is lies, no-one would pay $1100 for that. <$200 at most. $1000 gets you much more.

"Shimano" shifters I suspect are fake. I've never seen a shifter like that offered by Shimano. Google for the part number you get nothing.

Fork design looks like it should be carbon fibre but it's alloy, wouldn't be very nice to ride.

Brakes and levers look cheap.

No size shown, just "suitable for adults & teenagers", so probably quite small frame.

I wouldn't buy this if you are going to do any serious riding.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:17 am

I wouldn't touch this bike. For that money, you can buy yourself a second hand bike that'll blow this into the weeds, work as expected and actually last.

Frame size is important - in this case, you're hoping it might fit you.
As mentioned, the forks are alluminium but dead straight - all road shocks will go straight up your arms.
The shifters are cheap and nasty ... and I'd be wary of any of the Shimano parts actually being shimano - they might be, but they are not good quality parts. You should also be aware that any bike from the late eighties will have that style of shifter but probably in much better quality.

What you are getting is a dirt cheap bike, but not a bike that will stand up to much use.

Either pay more, or look for second hand - you can get an old road bike from the eighties in good nick for that price and it'll last you for years.

Sorry, but I think you're better off letting one of the other mugs bidding buy this one.

Richard

tinstaafl

Postby tinstaafl » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:30 am

I could so easily be wrong but the photo makes the frame look small. It appears as though there would not be enough room to mount two drink bottles in line. This looks like a teenager's bike to me.

Robert

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:37 am

Anyone else notice that these guys can't decide whether this bike is a road bike, a mountain bike or both??? (in red)
ALSO, the parts in blue just really seem absolutely wrong to me. especially the part about the front shocks!?!? what front shocks?

I've only been learning about bikes since late october (when I joined these forums) but there is no way, even with my limited knowledge, that I would buy that bike or recommend that someone else buy it. I agree with the others completely. If you want a bike for around that price, go for a second hand bike or hell even buy a k-mart special. My brother uses a k-mart special for stupid off road riding and it is still holding strong (with good servicing)
-----------------------------------------
"XTREME 14 Sp Alloy Road Racing Mountain Bike Shimano"
"XTREME 14 Speed Road Racing Bike
(70ART300)

The item on auction is a Brand New XTREME 14 Speed Road Racing Bike.

Equipped with a 14-speed SHIMANO gear set, you'll have enough gears to battle the toughest terrains or glide through the windy streets. This 14 Speed Road Racing Bike is ideal for both adults and teenagers.

This auction is starting at $0.01 with No Reserve, don't miss this great opportunity to get a great deal on this Mountain Bike."
"This Mountain Bike is available for immediate delivery. the handle bars will have to be allen keyed on and the wheels inserted onto frame. It is advisable to slide the front shocks through the triple clamps to your desired height and then tighten allen keys. It is also advisable to tighten headset appropriately. We also recommend that you adjust brake pad clearance with thumb turning knob, to suit your preference, If you have no knowledge of bikes, please get assistance from someone that can help you as there is no manual in original box."

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:14 pm

Woohoo, It was an attempt to specify tubing.

Buyer beware, this bike is not worth the RRP, maybe some store would sell the bike at this price RRP (which is non-binding) however a bike store would not. As pointed out by many others, there are a lot of problems with the bike and description, if it is snapped up, most likely by someone unfamiliar with bikes.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:23 pm

I would be warry of anything that only has a 90day warrenty(if you can find the guy) and comes with no manual.

Even Big W bike may be better :shock:

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:18 pm

Well, it looks sort of nice.

But not in my shed.