Pump tracks?

harry76

Pump tracks?

Postby harry76 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:38 pm

Hey guys new to the forum. A while ago i was getting into pump tracks. I have many mountainbikes. Anyways just in case you dont know. Pump tracks are tracks similar to bmx tracks, can be built in very small spaces, on the track there is always a bump or a turn, and the idea is to not pedal but use your body to pump the bikes over the bumps and pump through the turns. Check out Leelikesbikes.com if you are interested or youtube pumptracks.

So does anyone else get into this sort of riding? And are there any tracks around? I think the council have built a couple but i havent checked them out. The council should be building more (maybe they are) because they are better then some of the useless so called bmx tracks i see in small parks built by council that go unused because they are not designed right. A pumptrack can be ridden by a pro or a beginner. The beginner just usually goes a lot slower and throws a couple of pedals in but still fun.

Pumptracks are becoming popular even with pros, they had the first world pumptrack champs in a backyard in Canberra. It helps improve every aspect of riding.

I have a very small (had to work with what i had) one in my backyard built with de-co and doubles as a path around my vege patch :D And it may be small but its surprising how quick it feels and how much you feel the pump in the turns. And believe it or not, about 5 laps no pedalling and your legs are jelly

trailgumby

Re: Pump tracks?

Postby trailgumby » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:46 pm

Youtube or it didn't happen! :wink:

That looks *really* cool. There's a pump track built in an - ahem - unauthorised trail network we were checking out a few weeks ago. I was mainly after an XC singletrack workout (my skills suck) so I didn't stop to session it, and my plush and cushy 5" travel trail bike is probably not the best kind of vehicle for it.

My son tells me one of the other young guys in our group did a couple of laps without pedalling once, much to his amazement. I've seen footage of the impromptu "Pump World Champs" that was held in Canberra last year... impressive :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:33 pm

Sweet, wish my backyard and GLW was amenable to something like that.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

sir31

Postby sir31 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:15 pm

WHERE IN BRISBANE R U?

DO U KNOW OF ANY PUMP TRACKS ON THE SOUTH SIDE BE GOOD TO GIVE IT AGO...

harry76

Postby harry76 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:37 pm

Im at Redcliffe. North of Brisbane. This is the only pump track i have ridden. Id be keen to try some more as well. Im not sure where they are. I think there is a couple of council built tracks on the southside. I cant remember where they were or where i seen the info but if i get a chance ill try and find out for you, or search pump tracks and Brisbane City Council. Or there pretty easy to build so if there were a fair few people interested and found somewhere suitable maybe we could organise a working bee and build one. The council really should build more because they are easy to build and way more safer then bmx tracks or bmx jumps. And little kids are fine to get around the track also.

To do it properly you really need a hardtail bike with minimal front suspension.

sir31

Postby sir31 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:45 pm

I'll do a little google work... N check mtb dirt....

I have full sus XC but it has lock out front n rear..