Introducing the Women

feral grasshopper

Re: Introducing the Women

Postby feral grasshopper » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:14 am

CommuRider wrote:
feral grasshopper wrote:
Are u thinking of getting one? It's great to have something that really properly fits.
Yes as a long-term goal so am interested in the Baum-riders :-)
Happy to have a chat sometime to let you know what I think of the set up there and the whole experience and what I'd do differently etc etc if you like

Buttercup

Postby Buttercup » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:08 am

Location?
SOR Perth, WA

Road, Mountain, Track... what's your style?
Road, but looking forward to more offroad

Current bike/s?
Gucci- Avanti Aria 1
Buttercup- Avanti Forte 2, on layby :D
Goose- Mongoose Rockodile- until I get Buttercup

Riding since?
Always as a kid- loved my BMX...since March 2010 as a grown up!

Riding because?
I started again because I hated trying to run to lose weight- why run when you could ride??? So I got on my bike.

Favorite ride?
Anywhere new

Occupation?
I am a technical officer and owner of 3 minions

Goals?
Complete the Gibb Challenge 2011 with a team of awesome riders (I am the official noob)

Most embarrassing moment on the bike?
Havent clipped in yet.. but most embarrassing was actually off the bike- doing a MTB challenge this year I walked my bike down a steep gravel incline for about 3 steps before taking the rest of the slope on my arse.. and that was me walking!

Best moment on the bike?
Finishing a lap of the Dusk Til Dawn MTB challenge with a great mate giving me a crash course the whole way around- awesome night!

Which section have you spent most of your time in on the forums? Or where do you suspect you'll spend most your time?
Everywhere I guess
There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.
Nelson Mandela

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:05 pm

Welcome!
Riding because?

I started again because I hated trying to run to lose weight- why run when you could ride??? So I got on my bike.
Yes, I agree. Cycling is so much fun than running for me. I can do so many things on a bike. Running is just too hot and sweaty for me and the bounce factor doesn't help.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

aliciaedwards

Postby aliciaedwards » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:00 pm

Location?
Ipswich QLD

Road

Current bike/s?
Gigi - Giant defy 2

Riding since?
August 2010 - not long and since my run in with a utility trying to run me off the road I haven't ridden since however my NY resolution is to get back on the bike as they say!

Riding because?
I want to regain my fitness after having a baby (ok so he's a toddler now - took me a while!)

Favorite ride?
I enjoyed the Ipswich to Peak crossing ride

Occupation?
Physiotherapist

Goals?
To get back on my bike :oops:
To ride in the Ipswich 100 this year (any distance)
To get clip in shoes (as I haven't ridden since I was like 14 and have never owned a bike with gears I opted to get normal pedals to start with until I got comfortable with the gear changes etc)

My first ever ride out the front of my street I stacked it royally - straight over the handlebars and couldn't work for a week as I had no skin left on my hands :oops: :oops: :oops:
I've since gone out and bought me a pair of gloves!

Best moment on the bike?
Sounds pathetic but going down a decent hill without panicking or riding the brake - don't have a lot of confidence in myself yet :wink:

Which section have you spent most of your time in on the forums? Or where do you suspect you'll spend most your time?
Not sure yet - this is my first port of call but I hope to get around a bit and get to know you all!

I hope you aren't all laughing at me too hard LOL! I am very much the newb and not at all confident in myself - and honestly, would probably have sold the bike after my run in with this utility however my husband said "I told you that you'd give up" so I'm determined to prove him wrong....

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:07 pm

Welcome!
aliciaedwards wrote:
Occupation?
Physiotherapist
Your services will come into use with some of the members here :-) Do you do cycling specific physiotherapy?
aliciaedwards wrote: I hope you aren't all laughing at me too hard LOL! I am very much the newb and not at all confident in myself - and honestly, would probably have sold the bike after my run in with this utility however my husband said "I told you that you'd give up" so I'm determined to prove him wrong....
Good to hear. Cycling will also keep you fit and healthy so hope you keep it up! What I find is the more I spend on bike accessories the more I have to justify spending time on the bike so if you will be bike commuting, you'll soon discover the wide range of bag accessories.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:23 pm

aliciaedwards wrote:I hope you aren't all laughing at me too hard LOL! I am very much the newb and not at all confident in myself - and honestly, would probably have sold the bike after my run in with this utility however my husband said "I told you that you'd give up" so I'm determined to prove him wrong....

Love it! If my hubby said that I'd be out to prove him wrong too!

Welcome to the forum, we've all been noobie's at some time :)

Don't let the idiot in the ute scare you off cycling...I've had a couple try to do the same to me! They always target me and never mu hubby...cowards!

Good idea to get your confidence up before going clipless...but once you do you'll probably never go back!!
Lisa

aliciaedwards

Postby aliciaedwards » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:59 pm

Thanks for the welcome girls :)

Am hoping to get back on the bike in the next week or so - just trying to find a riding partner to help me get my confidence back up!

I'm looking forwards to getting to know you all! And I apologize in advance for the noobie questions you'll undoubtedly be inundated with :p

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:04 pm

aliciaedwards wrote: I'm looking forwards to getting to know you all! And I apologize in advance for the noobie questions you'll undoubtedly be inundated with :p
Feel free to post such noobie questions. I still don't know much about my bike but there's heaps of people here who can provide you with A LOT of technical advice. Just read a lot of the past threads. I'm still using my local bike store (LBS) to service my bike so that's how un-techie I am.

loulou40

Postby loulou40 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:33 pm

Location?
South West

Road

Current bike/s?
Esperia - flatbar road bike

Riding since?
late 2009

Riding because?
Because I love it. I can get to work cheaply without damaging the environment

Favorite ride?
Every ride is my favourite, but I do love riding with my daughters along Brighton water front to Cronulla for a gorgeous lunch.

Occupation?
Baby Catcher

Goals?
To go on as many group rides as I can. I am, in person a social butterfly. Not so on the computer forums though :?

Face first along the main road when my handle bar got caught on the corner of a road work sign. My bike came to a sudden stop and I kept going. There were a lot of cars around. I got straight up with cuts/grazes and painful bits all over the place, I did not look up and just straight back on and continued my ride. SO EMBARRASING!!!!!!!!!

Best moment on the bike?
Pretty much straight away, when I realized this was now going to be my passion.

Drop in occasionally and always check out what the Womyn have been up to. And then move around the latest posts.
veganism rules

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:25 am

Hi Loulou,
welcome to the forum.
Keep riding and have fun.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:08 pm

Welcome to the forum, Loulou....
Lisa

sparrowfall

Postby sparrowfall » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:35 pm

Hello Ladies,

New to the forum so thought I'd better introduce myself :D

Location?
Melbourne

Commuting + road + MTB

Current bike/s?
Giant Halo 1
Avanti Blade 4.0

Riding since?
A wee tacker... although a massive hiatus between riding as a kid and getting my MTB in 2009 and flat bar roadie late last year.

Riding because?
Fitness & weight loss mainly... but also another opportunity to enjoy the outdoors.

Favorite ride?
I have a soft spot for the Otways.

Occupation?
Business analyst.

Goals?
Commute on the bike a few days a week to work + a couple of charity rides.
Oh and maybe whoop my boyfriends arse on a ride (slow + poke = me).

Falling into the Barham River not once, but twice in the space of five minutes. Second time I wasn't even on my bike, just carrying it :oops: .

Best moment on the bike?
Not sure I've experienced it yet.

I plan to share the love.

tootles,
Jess

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:58 pm

Welcome!

missv

Postby missv » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:50 pm

Location?
Wangaratta / Eldorado

New to road cycling, dabble in MTB...

Current bike/s?
Eddy/Carl (can't decide on his name) - Bianchi Via Nirone Sora (yes, i'll admit to sacrificing a decent groupset for beauty!).

Riding since?
Last weekend!

Riding because?
I've always wanted to, now i have finished Uni i can finally afford the bike i want!

Favorite ride?
ATM: Eldorado loop via Wangaratta (my only ride). 50kms, nice and flat.

Occupation?
Environmental Sustainability Officer, Local Government

Goals?
To join a group ride!

Clipstack out the front of the local milk bar. Note to self. Don't juggle the Saturday Age and ride at the same time.

Best moment on the bike?
The stares from passes by!

I browse alot, comment little.

Verita :-)

slowlydoesit

Postby slowlydoesit » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:24 pm

HI, I've only just made my first post even though I've been lurking for yonks!

Location?
Sydney city

Transportation: Commuting on bike paths, very slowly and leisurely. Going to the shops etc.

Current bike/s?
Norco 2007 but wanting to expand my horizons

Riding since?
Riding ever since I was a kid, but a few years as an adult.

Riding because?
I just really enjoy being on a bicycle, also it helps with my depression.

Favorite ride?
Down the big hill on the way home from work after a long hard day.

Occupation?
Academic

Goals?
Ride more in winter

None so far

Best moment on the bike?
Every day when I convince myself to ride to work and I end up enjoying myself.

Buying a bike, bike and gear reviews

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:57 pm

Hello ladies! Loving some of these stories.

Location?
Perth

Mainly paths, roads when I have to or can’t cope with dodging the pedestrians anymore. Once tagged along on a 2-day trip on the Munda Biddi trail on a hired mountain bike – I had no clue what I was in for!! May do more once I forget how my butt felt at the end of it (hired bike, unfamiliar saddle = unhappy Lizzy)

Current bike/s?
2006 Trek 7.0FX

Riding since?

As a grown-up, since about 2003.

Riding because?
For fitness, and commuting due to tree-hugging and penny-pinching tendencies. And as a nice, relaxed, meditative, cleansing bit of me-time on weekend mornings.

Favorite ride?
Any number of punt-arounds by the river. And the ride home from work through the ‘burbs when I can smell everyone’s dinner cooking.

Occupation?

Exec Assistant

Goals?
Be fitter. Drive less. Get my “once-or-twice a week” commuting routine up to “most days”.

Heading home from work without my backpack, having left it on the table in a meeting room I sometimes sneak into to get changed. I was 2ks out when I realised – after thinking how nice that breezy feeling on my back was. Got back, flung the door open and stomped in to get it, red-faced and cussing away under my breath. Yup, there was a meeting on.

Best moment on the bike?
When the hand of the Goddess gently propped me back up again on a steep downhill bend through pea gravel on the Munda Biddi, when I was certain I had totally lost it and was going to die!!

We shall see!
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:33 pm

Welcome Lizzy, Nice to see more women joining the forum. The guys need some more hormonal posts so get in there and show them how it's done. :P
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

shiftie

Postby shiftie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:29 pm

Location?
Brisbane

Road road road, faster the better!! Not that I go real fast except when I am going downhill.

Current bike/s?
2009 Specialized S-Works Ruby (spoilt)

Riding since?
Always ridden a bike. Hadn't been on one for a few years, til in 2006 I went a bought a new bike, flat handle, and the passion rose and is still rising.

Riding because?
I get real cranky when I don't ! :o

Favorite ride?
The Wilson HTM here is Brissie. Weekend rides would be the river loop and going out to Wynnum.

Occupation?
IT Support Consultant

Goals?
Get up Mount Cootha this year and stop chickening out! 10% grade.

First time in cleats. Out the front on my own house, in the driveway, not even on my bike yet, only one foot clipped in and over I go. Partner still laughs recalling it to all those that will listen.

Best moment on the bike?
Meeting Anna Bligh out on a ride and chatting to her about cycling and where she rides etc. She is as keen as I am!

Training, Queensland, and womens.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:57 pm

Welcome Shiftie to the forums...I am :mrgreen: at your bike, I rode a S-Works Amira on Sunday at the try-out day at Cannon Hill, and loved it, just wish that I could afford it!

I've set my sights on geting Mt Coot-tha done too...
Lisa

shiftie

Postby shiftie » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:52 am

marinmomma wrote:Welcome Shiftie to the forums...I am :mrgreen: at your bike, I rode a S-Works Amira on Sunday at the try-out day at Cannon Hill, and loved it, just wish that I could afford it!

Hi,

I am very excited to be apart of this forum. I gotta tell ya I love my bike. I do have three specialized bikes now, a sirrus for shopping, a roubaix for going to work and Suzie (Q rocks) S Works for weekends. I wasn't allowed to go to the try out day :( Not allowed another bike now unless I sell one and I can't bring myself to part with any of them!

Maybe we can do Cootha together! Do you have or recommend a group to ride with. I have some friends that ride sometimes but they are not overly committed. I am at Holland Park.

activemum

Introducing the Women

Postby activemum » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:07 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to Bicycle.net.au, so I thought I would stop by here first to say hi.

Location?
Alexandra, VIC

Road and MTB

Current bike/s?
2005 Giant OCR3 (I think?), 2005 Giant Yukon and Chariot CX2 behind them!

Riding since?
Since I was a kid, but I started riding more regularly in 2005.

Riding because?
It's fun! It's social! You find nice cafes and bakeries along the way!

Favorite ride?
Local MTB tracks

Occupation?
A mum, business owner and a teacher

Goals?
To stay active as a Mum and enjoy all the same adventures and rides.

I pulled up at a round about, unclipped my left foot and fell onto my right side in front of a huge line of cars!

Best moment on the bike?
Taking my 11 month old daughter on the GVBR

This is my first stop - I'll be spending more time here in the future!

Cheers,
Miriam

lakurumau

Postby lakurumau » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:40 am

Hi all,

Location?
Melbourne's northern suburbs, VIC

Um, relaxed. Comfort?

Current bike/s?
Will be buying one this week!

Riding since?
Rode through childhood, then commuted during University days. Have not cycled for nine years.

Riding because?
Want to use the car less (we're getting rid of the second car), and I think my three-year-old and I will have great fun cycling on Melbourne's bike paths.

Favorite ride?
Soon to be discovered.

Occupation?
Mum, energy analyst and yoga teaching student.

Goals?
To have fun and get outdoors. To use the car less...a lot less.

Well, my knees still bear the scars of overexhuberant cycling on gravel in my childhood. All my falls were very public.

Best moment on the bike?
Ahem...riding down a road with no hands, age 11.

Here and here!

Nice to meet you all!

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:38 pm

Yay, some action happening in the Women's section....

Welcome to the forums activemum and lakurumau, don't be shy, jump and have some fun, there aren't many vocal ladies on BNA lately...can't let the blokes have all the fun :wink:

Lakurumau, when you get your bike don't forget to let us know what you got....and post a pic!
Lisa

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:39 pm

shiftie wrote:
marinmomma wrote:Welcome Shiftie to the forums...I am :mrgreen: at your bike, I rode a S-Works Amira on Sunday at the try-out day at Cannon Hill, and loved it, just wish that I could afford it!

Hi,

I am very excited to be apart of this forum. I gotta tell ya I love my bike. I do have three specialized bikes now, a sirrus for shopping, a roubaix for going to work and Suzie (Q rocks) S Works for weekends. I wasn't allowed to go to the try out day :( Not allowed another bike now unless I sell one and I can't bring myself to part with any of them!

Maybe we can do Cootha together! Do you have or recommend a group to ride with. I have some friends that ride sometimes but they are not overly committed. I am at Holland Park.

Have you tried Coot-tha yet??
I getting closer, the plan is to have it done before the end of the year.....
Lisa

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:19 pm

Welcome lakurumau

What kind of yoga do you do? What's involved with becoming an instructor?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?