Any advantage in MTB clothing versus road clothing?

Aushiker

Any advantage in MTB clothing versus road clothing?

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:53 am

Hi

Asking this question in the context of off-road touring, so often six to seven hours on the bike a day but curious as to whether there is any:

(a) Would MTB jerseys be a better option over road jerseys?
(b) What is (if any) advantage with MTB shorts over knicks?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

albe

Re: Any advantage in MTB clothing versus road clothing?

Postby albe » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:44 am

i like my mtb shorts for pockets that are easy to access ... plus my body isn't really 'lycra-ready' :?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:00 am

Fox shorts I wouldn't bother buying ever again, the elastic velcro tabs are too weak to be any use at all unless you are a perfect fit for the size (I've lost weight since buying), and the chamois are ordinary at best. Disappointing, as their Sidewinder gloves have been brilliant, and their Flux helmet has been very good.

For overshorts you could look at Ground Effect Supertankers that are next on my list. I've got a set of NZO shorts that are excellent as well. Check out the number of pockets, especially whether they have zips or velcro flaps (handy to stop things flying out). I don't use the pockets that much as the weight of things like phones and sets of keys flinging around when pedalling is annoying. Prefer them in my jersey. The mtb cut with a high snug crutch is important, as it prevents you snagging on your seat and getting stuck and going over the bars on obstacles.

No integrated undershorts/knicks for me. I strongly prefer bibknicks with separate overshorts if I'm going to wear baggies. I find it interesting that Chris Southwood, the editor of Australian Mountain Bike, has "confessed" to preferring bibknicks under his shorts as well. :lol:

MTB jerseys are a looser cut. There are fewer pockets than roadie jerseys, perhaps on the assumption that riders use Camelbaks for longer rides.

Really, though, the mtb clothing thing is about style... being different to roadies. Being socially inept those things don't bother me so much, and the fact that lycra on blokes irritates one particular domineering cougar female in our circle is kinda fun :lol:

But if you're touring, you would have less to be concerned about not fitting in with non-cyclists off the bike at locations like food stops and cafes as the mtb stuff just looks like normal activewear to the casual eye.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:59 am

trailgumby wrote:But if you're touring, you would have less to be concerned about not fitting in with non-cyclists off the bike at locations like food stops and cafes as the mtb stuff just looks like normal activewear to the casual eye.
Thanks TG. That aspect appeals. On my recently completed ride I did just wear my roadie jersey, bib knicks and skins but did wonder if at least a MTB jersey would be more comfortable and better in town, especially some of the towns I visit :)

Andrew

albe

Postby albe » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:35 pm

and with the zips on the shorts ... check that they lead to pockets, i have a fox pair with zippered vents which i thought were pockets big enough for glasses like my other fox pair. Thankfully these ones had some handy small pockets across the top of the waist.

keen to try some of the groundeffect stuff, they look decent provided they aren't too pricey.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi

One more silly question. Mountain bike gloves. Are they a good idea or is using my normal roadie gloves (short fingered) okay?

I think I will get a couple of MTB jerseys for touring and maybe a pair of shorts (without chamois) to wear over my bib shorts. Probably go with Ground Effect gear.

Andrew

albe

Postby albe » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:28 pm

in general i prefer short finger summer, long in winter ... have a nice pair off one of the uk sites, 30$ or so.

skull

Postby skull » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:56 pm

Mountain biking, I prefer full fingered gloves. I just work on th theory that greater chance of coming off when riding mountain bike and everyone's natural reaction is to put their hands out. With full fingered gloves less chance of having skin lost.

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:20 pm

skull wrote:Mountain biking, I prefer full fingered gloves. I just work on th theory that greater chance of coming off when riding mountain bike and everyone's natural reaction is to put their hands out. With full fingered gloves less chance of having skin lost.
Unless real hot I always wear long fingered gloves. Too many years on a motorbike to wish to scrape my fingers along bitumen or concrete :o
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:05 pm

My 'jersey' (regardless of road or MTB) is actually a long sleeve high vis work shirt from the local safety shop for $16. Comfortable, breathable, loose fitting, cheap, well made.....and really really bright.

http://www.workwear.com.au/products/pro ... asp?id=161

Then it is basic boardies or sport shorts over a Ground Effects Underdog
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:39 pm

re: gloves I wear full fingers all year round. The only time I wear short-fingers is if in the middle of a bout of what my wife calls "male blindness" I can't find my long-fingers. :P

Initially bought for winter warmth, I've stuck with them because they offer more protection in the event of an off or a strike from a wayward tree branch on the trail. Sun protection is better too.

Having long fingers I have a preference for the Fox Sidewinders. I like they way the palm material wraps up and over the end of the fingertip so you don't have any seams trying to sneak their way in under your nails. They have a thin palm so that you have a better sense of contact with your bike, and are snug and exhibit very little squirm when manhandling the handlebars.

If you suffer carpal tunnel or ulnar nerve issues, maybe they're not the glove for you, but I tend to use fat grips like the ODI Rogues as they are not only more comfortable but by filling your hand better they improve your sense of bike control.

The palm material is also very long-wearing. I would wear holes in the Netti gel gloves within 6 months easy, these Sidewinders have been going strong since January 2010, and don't look like needing replacement anytime soon.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:17 pm

Hi

Thanks TG. Excellent helpful reply as always.

Andrew

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:03 pm

I am another wearer of full finger gloves all the time. I use Troy Loy XC ones. As far as shorts go, I don't think all FOX shorts are created equal. I have 3 pairs, 2 of which I only use for short rides as they are not real comfortable.

The 3rd pair I have use on rides in excess of 6 hours without any issues. Don't ask me what sort they are as the tag has long since faded.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:01 pm

trailgumby wrote:The palm material is also very long-wearing. I would wear holes in the Netti gel gloves within 6 months easy, these Sidewinders have been going strong since January 2010, and don't look like needing replacement anytime soon.
Haha, spoke too soon. Just noticed a 10mm tear in the mesh along the side of the left index finger. Given that I bought these 18+ months ago and they get used in the gym as well as on the bike (and when on the bike I tend to ride like my handle suggests :P ) that's been a good run.

KOM2 had a half-price sale on over the weekend, but unfortunately no Sidewinders in my size. I did pick up some real nice Giordana compression-wear bibnicks though. :)

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:07 pm

Might be a late for this thread but I bought some MTB shorts from http://www.aerotechdesigns.com the Outlaw Bullet model.

I gave them a good test with a 150km ride last weekend. I got 2 pairs delivered for about $150 and they took 5 days to get here.

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:52 pm

I wear Endura Singletrack and Endura Humvee shorts, each with liner shorts that clip onto the outer shorts, as well as bib knicks depending on my mood. I like having the pockets for the shorts, but the bib knicks make me feel faster and are probably more comfortable/keep me cooler in Summer.
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

Golliwog

Postby Golliwog » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:09 pm

Will always use MTB shoes. Can walk around all day in them