DIY headcup remover

thomas_cho

DIY headcup remover

Postby thomas_cho » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:52 pm

I want to remove headset cups from my old frames which take 1 inch forks.

I can only find headset cup removers for 1 1/8 inch at chainreaction.

Anyone know how I can fabricate something similar with stuff found at Bunnings?

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:20 pm

look here and here for some tips. Personally I use a flat head screwdriver, hammer and baby taps. Its the way I have seen a lot of bike shops do it.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:25 pm

I do the same - wide flat screwdriver down the headtube and tap gently. Usually, the headset cups come out pretty easily.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:05 pm

I used the flat head screw driver, and hammer method, and ended up denting the cups.

Could be my impatience ...

Thanks for the links.

I think the key is to apply force evenly at the same time. The screw driver method just means that its not possible to apply the force evenly across the cup if you know what I mean?

Anyone else has had a go at removing headset cups?

While we are in the area, what about installing and removing crown races?

I used a chisel to tap out the crown race, and ended up scaring it. I have read of people using PVC pipes to install the crown race, but I went to bunnings and just cant find the right diameter PVC pipe to do it.

Any other DIY methods?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:13 pm

I used a block of wood and a hammer, but essentially the same as the screw driver method.

Have you soaked it overnight with penetrene? It could be a rust seal that's giving you grief. They aren't put in all that tight and so shouldn't be too hard to get out.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

dant

Postby dant » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:56 pm

Screwdriver with the end cut off. tent peg has the same effect. it means you have less chance of denting the thing.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:09 pm

Similar experiences as most of the previous posters - but one day I had a particularly difficult pair of cups to extract. I was using a flathead punch and not getting enough purchase for its length versus the head tube.

Here's a good article from Bob Moulton's blog :
http://davesbikeblog.blogspot.com/2007/ ... ement.html

He uses a copper pipe (his pic seems to have a common heritage with one of the previous posters here) but as per my comment in his article; on the advise of my LBS, they said just a crappy old steel flat bar handle bar would do the trick and and it did!

Kym
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:28 pm

kym ... crappy flat handlebar ... what a great tip!!

a seatpost tube would probably do as well!

Thanks all

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:32 pm

europa wrote:I used a block of wood and a hammer, but essentially the same as the screw driver method.

Have you soaked it overnight with penetrene? It could be a rust seal that's giving you grief. They aren't put in all that tight and so shouldn't be too hard to get out.

Richard
No, but I probably should have. For some impatient reason, I just wanted it out there and then.

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:17 pm

I tend to use a 4oz gasket hammer [ball pein type, very small & light] with whatever I can lay my hands on, usually a large flat blade screwdriver.
The trick is to try & work around the cup on the inside of the head tube all the time that you are tapping. Preferably working on near to opposite sides every couple of taps.

Slowly slowly catchee monkey. The idea is to not allow the cup to !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! in the bore & working around it constantly with softer blows [as long as it is moving] will achieve this.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:10 am

Gonna make me a Bob Moulton I am, good stuff.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011