Site Admin

Cadel Evans Appreciation Thread

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:05 am

Well Done Cadel Evans!
Cycling is in my BNA

CommuRider

Re: Cadel Evans Appreciation Thread

Postby CommuRider » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:09 am

Great sporting hero, shows what really nice people us cyclists are. Couldn't want a better person to represent his country for this sport!

Congrats Cadel, enjoy it. No one can take this away from you now. FOREVER.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:12 am

Congratulations Mr Evans, you took on the best in the biggest test there is and stood strong all the way.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:23 am

Amazing tour mate, you fought with your body & mind and came through for yourself and Australia. Your literally a Legend :D
Happy Days

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:26 am

I first met Cadel in 2008 when I took him for a few laps in my Lotus race car. He is a true champion and gritty competitor. Well done on the win mate. You have achieve it all now.
Last edited by DaveOZ on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

BoardRider

Postby BoardRider » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:27 am

Very proud to be Australian ,thanks Cadel .How well did he handle all that pressure.
Now I cant sleep.I suppose 0300 is a bit early to go for a ride. Maybe I could just clean my bike.
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown

tomness

Postby tomness » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:12 am

What brilliant riding by cadel for the last three weeks. He has just been so strong and so consistant all tour. A deserving win for a true champion.

Chapeau Cadel.

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:24 am

On Friday night I just knew he could do it. Cadel just looked so darned strong clawing his way back after the mechanical.

My original plan was to do a 'permanent' 200 km solo brevet in the WA wheat belt starting at 7:00AM about an hours drive from Perth.
Friday's stage put paid to that, I just had to stay up and watch a fantastic night's racing. Anyway, started at 9:15AM instead and during the day I frequently thought about the possibilities for Cadel in the time trial. Just thinking about it spurred me along. Inspiration to go faster*and inspiration to get home faster so that I could ride over to the TDF soiree that I had been invited to. Everyone at the party were very happy and gave Cadel a rousing applause when he stepped onto the podium. :D

Very proud of Cadel and the guts and composure that he has shown and very happy for him after some frustrating Tours in 2007-2010.

* 200.7 km at avg speed 29 kmh - yes I know, I'm no Cadel Evans but he's 18 yrs younger than me! :wink:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:34 am

Well done Cadel :!:

You have just shown the true meaning of....true grit and determination. :twisted: :mrgreen:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

gururug

Postby gururug » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:40 am

Very happy for you Cadel...... the culmination of years of sweat.

Enjoy the respect and appreciation you so rightly deserve.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:17 am

I imagine you now have the attention of the knockers!!!!!!!!!!!
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

zephy

Postby zephy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:02 am

so modest and humble, a great deserving champion.....

I, like many others no doubt, have sore legs this morning after riding the last three days with you trying to egg you on.... you've done yourself and everyone proud..... repect mate, you've got it......
Just an ol' man, riding an ol' bike.... every hill feels like Alpe d'Heuz....

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:15 am

Tenacity on a bike :) Well done Cadel!

number21

Postby number21 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:13 am

What draws me to Cadel is his tenacity and ability to bury himself. Thats what really got me into cycling when I saw him in 2007 in the Tour. A guy laying it all on the line on the world stage. The fact I've seen him lose and blow up makes me appreciate his achievements even more. He not invincible, he's human a hugely determined and gifted one at that.

I don't get overly patriotic about things and I would still support and be inspired by him if he wasn't an Aussie. But the fact he is, and has overcome added adversity in his own profession because of it makes it sweeter.

But whatever his achievements, I like him cause he's a humble and honest guy. I meet him briefly in Sydney after his world champs victory and hes just a normal guy, with an unbelievable amount of determination and superior physiology below the exterior.

Your a legend Cadel. All the best for more success in the future!

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:35 am

And it was by being just that, a champion who inspired his troops to a stunning second place in the team time trial, who won an epic stage himself on a rain-soaked Breton hilltop, who rode constantly near the head of the peloton protected by his own red guard, who bravely defended his chances with spectacular rides through the Alps … and who then finished it off with an individual time-trial performance worthy of the greatest Tour champions.

And he has done it in what has been one of the greatest-ever Tours.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/07/ ... ion_186039

For me he's the face of clean cycling.
FPR Ragamuffin

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi

Andre Camilleri has written a song about Cadel... you can listen to it here or here.

They call him 'Cuddles', this Cadel Evans, and you better think twice about going anywhere near his beloved dog. Yep, he's a complicated man is our Cadel, but this year, like every other year, fans across Australia are sacrificing sleep as they pedal every gruelling kilometre of Le Tour with their hero. To help him finally reach the podium in Paris where he belongs, Melbourne musicians Andre Camilleri and Patrick O'Brien have penned their ode to Cadel, 'Let Me Ride'. If you know what's good for you, don't shove a microphone in front of Cadel after he's spent five hours riding up a mountain, just click here for the song, and let Cadel ride ...

Andrew

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:42 pm

From the very first stage when he chased Gilbert down to the TTT. He took control and managed the teams effort. His massive effort on Stage 4 to beat Contador. Holding everything together in the Pyrenees. What was truly amazing was his composure in the Alps, when everything looked like it was going wrong on the road to Galibier he was the only one to take control and in the end that's really the ride that won him the Tour (have to watch that stage again). His ride on the Alpe d'Huez was tactically brilliant did'nt panic with the mechanical and then put the hammer down right at the start to nullify the Schlecks showed he had learned the lessons of the past. Then he showed that he was the strongest of the field by doing a monster ITT. All these things really cement this as a Truly iconic Tour, i've heard it said and i agree that its the best Tour since '89. Congratulations Cadel well deserved.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:48 pm

lovemybike wrote:Tenacity on a bike :) Well done Cadel!
+1, awesome stuff
Lisa

roller

Postby roller » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:12 pm

what an amazing performance, from start to finish.

and then last night he just smashed it.

absolutely fantastic
inflammatory statement or idea

ratter

Postby ratter » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:21 pm

Congrats on the win

Although I hate it I feel like chanting

Aussie aussie aussie, oi oi oi

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:56 pm

No words can express the magnitude of your achievement.

Res ipsa loquitur

(The thing speaks for itself.)

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Well done Cadel.

And, well done BMC. I know that he didn't have all the support he could have in the mountains but the way Cadel Evans talked and acted in the last 3 weeks you can see that the BMC team gave him the support anyone needs to win this race. I think the support he got off the bike from his BMC team mates was critical in getting him the win. His attitude and the way he approached the tour was at least partly attributable to this.

Then, on the road he was amazing. His fightbacks on stages 18 and 19 set it up. What an amazing effort for 2 days. Yet he had still retained the energy to ride a brilliant time trial. Now that's good strategy.

This year's tour was amazing too. So much going on, so hard to predict what would happen next.

Congrats, you just won the best TdF I can remember.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:31 pm

Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Addict

Postby Addict » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:07 pm

Cadel evans: never give up never surrender.
You are a champion.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:29 pm

A supreme effort to return to a Tour that had fallen somewhat short of expectations (personal and public?) for the last five years. with THE hand-assembled team to do it.

Jim