Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

whichway

Postby whichway » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:13 am

Just thought I'd post my thoughts on the Nebo Glorious ride. Someone once said it was a world class ride and we are indeed fortunate to have this ride at our door step.

The good -
The first few climbs - just enough to get the blood flowing and remind you that you are here to do some climbing today
The low traffic - although the road is not wide, if you do it early enough there is not really enough traffic to bother you
The views - supurb, and particularly out to the west between Nebo and Glorious
The cars - watch out for the occassional Lamborghini, high end Porche
The Marcllettes - an occassional but pleasant diversion
Between Nebo and Glorious - riding through the rainforest, the dappled light on the flat sections and the steep hills that follow the flat sections. You can sprint for some sections of this road, but these are each followed by a climb that will sap the energy out of you
The descent - Big sweepers, test of courage and speed
The descent - With Glorious around 600m above sea level, you still get to climb around 800m on the way home. It messes with your mind
The end - The last few climbs on the way back to the Gap. There to remind you that you are here to do some climbing today, even on the way down
The end - down that last hill, past the bus stop and suddenly the bush, the climbing, the views are left behind and you have been transported back into Brisbane suburbia. What a transformation
The company - My usual riding buddy for the ride is 10 years younger than me, and about 10% faster, but he still waits for me from time to time as I struggle up the climbs

The bad -
The road surface - While generally OK, it is cracking up at an alarming rate. If you don't know the road be careful on the descent
The Marcellettes - Those women are so much stronger than I am
The cars - OK not much traffic, but if the MX5 club or WRX club are doing the road, then get used to having a few cars pass you in quick succession
The pain - If you haven't done this ride for a while, then somehow there are extra hills, steeper hills. I don't know how that happens but it hurts more than you remember

The ugly -
The (motor)bikers - They are noisy, but generally will share the road and so are neither good nor bad, but they are not good looking blokes (not counting the women in this comment). Generally it is better when they leave their helmets on

Comedian

Re: Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

Postby Comedian » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:10 pm

Cool thread. I had a lovely ride up there this morning.

I love the term Marcllettes! :)

notwal

Postby notwal » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:45 pm

Yes it is a good ride.

"Marcelettes", is that girls who ride pushies? It could construed as pejorative. I wouldn't want to say anything pejorative about girls who ride pushies.
They are tough. They'll job you one. And you can't job them back cos they're girls.
judged, insulted, gone

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:58 pm

Nebo was my personal favourite ride when I was living in Brisbane. The best climb up there was one I did on Australia Day a couplr of years ago when it was covered in mist at the bottom and cleared as I got to the top. Brilliant ride. The only downer was being sledged as I passed another rider who suggested I might breathe a little quieter!

+1 to all of the above.

Disco

Postby Disco » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:53 pm

I've only done it a couple of times and have really loved it.

On one occasion we had a motorbike "buzz us" just to be a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!, but this was the exception not the rule.

The decent down sorts out the men from the boys, one of my riding buddies had a mate go off the edge and die a few years ago so he likes to cruise down... I'm happy to join him...

If only the coffee at the top of Nebo was a fraction better.

+1 to everything though...

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:57 pm

I like the off road trail from Gap creek car park to Nebo, a very tough ride with about 10 gnarly climbs. Haven't done the road route for 20 years, might have to take the easy way up again one day.
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:20 pm

Disco wrote:If only the coffee at the top of Nebo was a fraction better.
the coffee at the tea house at glorious is pretty good - and itns only half an hour from neebo ;)

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:18 pm

Do you have a link for this ride, do you go up via Samford.

notwal

Postby notwal » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:26 pm

themerlin wrote:Do you have a link for this ride, do you go up via Samford.
No, you go up by Mt Nebo Rd. Mt Glorious Rd is for the likes of Cadel and Contador. Of course you could take that as a challenge :D
judged, insulted, gone

licensed

Postby licensed » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:33 pm

hi,

does anyone have any statistics for these rides? i'd be interested in doing it sometime but am not sure if i'd be capable of making it to mt glorious cafe and back haha :(

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:19 pm

whichway wrote: The ugly -
The (motor)bikers - They are noisy, but generally will share the road and so are neither good nor bad, but they are not good looking blokes (not counting the women in this comment). Generally it is better when they leave their helmets on
Hey! I resemble that remark. Am hoping to get up to do that road and Maleny ranges again in Sep. It's been about 6yrs since I last road up to Qld. Shame I can't fit the pushy on the back and do the twisty on both machines :(
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:49 pm

licensed wrote:hi,

does anyone have any statistics for these rides? i'd be interested in doing it sometime but am not sure if i'd be capable of making it to mt glorious cafe and back haha :(
If you can make it there, you can make it back! That said there are three "ups" on the way down (two if you only do Nebo).

The bottom half of Nebo is harder than the top half so keep on going, it does get easier. I'd suggest doing Nebo only the first couple of times to get used to the longer climbing before taking on Glorious.

Nebo - 18 km's gaining ~620 metres
Glorious - 12 km's (from Nebo) gaining ~400 metres

Have fun :)

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:04 pm

whichway wrote:Between Nebo and Glorious
The descent down from nebo town towards glorious is great, nice surface, nice scenery and rather swoopy.
notwal wrote:Mt Glorious Rd is for the likes of Cadel and Contador.
It's not quite that bad, does hurt though. Made me wish for a compact!
licensed wrote:does anyone have any statistics for these rides? i'd be interested in doing it sometime but am not sure if i'd be capable of making it to mt glorious cafe and back haha :(
http://app.strava.com/segments/659154

That's to the top of nebo, glorious from there isn't much different, just further. Nebo is probably an easier climb than coot-tha, but it's a much longer ride.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:02 pm

notwal wrote:Yes it is a good ride.

"Marcelettes", is that girls who ride pushies? It could construed as pejorative. I wouldn't want to say anything pejorative about girls who ride pushies.
They are tough. They'll job you one. And you can't job them back cos they're girls.
Marcellettes: Pink, smell wonderful (even at 5:30am) and they can crush you. It's taken me two years to be fit enough to comfortably pass them. And they are serious.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:05 pm

notwal wrote:
themerlin wrote:Do you have a link for this ride, do you go up via Samford.
No, you go up by Mt Nebo Rd. Mt Glorious Rd is for the likes of Cadel and Contador. Of course you could take that as a challenge :D
It was a great ride with a 750cc engine :)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:07 pm

ValleyForge wrote:

Marcellettes: Pink, smell wonderful (even at 5:30am) and they can crush you. It's taken me two years to be fit enough to comfortably pass them. And they are serious.
Last time I passed a pack of them I didn't spend long enough behind them to smell them. I'll try that next time. :shock: :mrgreen:

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:06 am

Comedian wrote:
ValleyForge wrote:

Last time I passed a pack of them I didn't spend long enough behind them to smell them. I'll try that next time. :shock: :mrgreen:
I never wear deodourant before riding. I think they all do. :lol:
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:45 am

The popular Nebo Glorious ride is via The Gap and back by Samford, Ferny Grove.
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/42875214

Going in reverse UP Mt Glorious Rd is definitely tougher. The upper Glorious Rd ascent averages 16% for 1.3km.
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/43127164

The Marcellettes are Marcel Bengsten's pink and white kitted girl racing squad out of MB Coaching/Cycles, Milton. The top racers are seriously competitive. He has the best equipped race coaching business in Brisbane which includes hypoxic training masks and a fleet of top notch trainers. I haven't seen Marcel for 12mths so don't know how well his shop is going. Bought a women's Orbea Orca from him in 2010.

molly

Postby molly » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:04 am

Thanks for putting up links to routes (was wondering distances and bikely seems to be not working for me). I am guessing people are going up early sat/sun morning, what's it like getting out to Mt Nebo Road from the city (waterworks rd etc)?

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:48 am

molly wrote:Thanks for putting up links to routes (was wondering distances and bikely seems to be not working for me). I am guessing people are going up early sat/sun morning, what's it like getting out to Mt Nebo Road from the city (waterworks rd etc)?
Bikely has been too slow for months. Be sure to check the "climbs" tab at MapMyRide for better elevation info. I can't believe they only rate Glorious Upper Ascent Cat2. Suppose it is because it is shortish.

Outbound on Waterworks Rd is quiet enough pre 7am on the weekends, Sun moreso than Sat, but imo better to be in a group.
I've only ridden Nebo Glorious once, and it was on Sunday. It's possible it is quieter re motoring enthusiasts on Sat morning.

Coming back into Samford Village, and then crossing to Ferny Grove is busier.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:41 pm

molly wrote:what's it like getting out to Mt Nebo Road from the city (waterworks rd etc)?
Going out through red hill and onto waterworks isn't a huge amount of fun, traffic isn't too bad, but it's not a very nice ride imo. The back way past coot-tha is nicer and quieter, but a bit longer.

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:38 pm

Did upto mt nebo this morning , had to stop a few times on the first bit due to mild heart attacks.
So new goal is todo it none stop.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:57 pm

So who is heading up that way tomorrow? As long as I don't get any sicker I will be :o

Stoo

Postby Stoo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:15 pm

never done it.

id like to go but don't know the way, have no-one to ride with and live too far out to get to the city / meeting point by the standard 6:00 - 6:30am.....can't carry a carbon bike on my car bike rack, so i'd have to ride the 20km in.
2004 Argon 18 Radon
2012 Argon 18 krypton
2010 Argon 18 Gallium Pro
2013 Argon 18 E-116

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:19 pm

Comedian wrote:So who is heading up that way tomorrow?
I think I will, though I'm going to sleep in and go mid morning I think :D