Cadel Evans Tour de France Winner

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cadel Evans Tour de France Winner

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:11 am

One more stage left, I know.. but who is going to deny the first ever Australian to take the Yellow Jersey into Paris on the Tour de France the victory.

There are two active threads for the Tour de France and Cadel Evans:

2011 Tour de France (You can pop to the part where he crossed the line here)

And a new thread ala the Repco Appreciation Society - we have the:
Cadel Evans Appreciation Thread for general happiness and support of the fantastic ride from Cadel and team BMC.

An idea from a member to celebrate while riding is to wear yellow:
Wear yellow

Plus a Team BMC (kit) Group Buy. Team BMC really supported Cadel this year.

To celebrate this pending victory, the forums get a touch of yellow as does the main Bicycles.net.au website.
Cycling is in my BNA

fishwop

Re: Cadel Evans Tour de France Winner

Postby fishwop » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:29 am

Lets hope you are right, but just remember that Parramatta led Penrith by 6 points with one play remaining last weekend. They were beaten. The commentators had awarded them the game six or seven minutes earlier.

Being a believer in karma, I would not personally make such an announcement as the heading here does until the fat lady has sung.

AlanAtom

Postby AlanAtom » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:50 am

Woke up to the news he won!!! Yay!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

hazmat5765

Postby hazmat5765 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:58 am

I sat up and watched it, the slo-mo footage as Cadel powers to the finish line is among the best pieces of sports footage I've ever seen.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:14 am

I've watched every historical stage, fantastic news for all young Australian cyclists :D :D :D
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:34 pm

fishwop wrote:Lets hope you are right, but just remember that Parramatta led Penrith by 6 points with one play remaining last weekend. They were beaten. The commentators had awarded them the game six or seven minutes earlier.

Being a believer in karma, I would not personally make such an announcement as the heading here does until the fat lady has sung.
That's not how the TdF works....
Even if he crashed and broke his leg in tonight's stage, they would stop and wait for him to get back on and they would push him over the line themselves.

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:57 pm

Tell Greg Lemond that.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:03 pm

Rockford wrote:Tell Greg Lemond that.
Yeah... I'm sure someone will try to take the Yellow from Cadel .... (sarcasm BTW :roll: )

Sh4rkbait

Postby Sh4rkbait » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:30 pm

That was different it was a competetive Time Trial not a celebration road stage desgned for the sprinters to showcase their talents and for Cav to show off his green jersey (fingers crossed) The HTC train along with BMC will make sure no one tries to do the dirty on Cadel, not that they would as they would get flicked everytime they rode in the peleton after that!
Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand.
Argon 18 Electron
Dolan Hercules SE
Specialized Hard Rock Pro

notwal

Postby notwal » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:51 pm

What about Greg Lemond? Did he have some hassles on the final day on the Champs Elysees?

I understand that it's just TdF tradition that no one attacks the yellow jersey on the Champs Elysees. I wonder if Andy doesn't have a somewhat jaundiced view of TdF tradition as a consequence of the circumstances of last years loss to Contador. Still he is very media savvy and he's is unlikely to do anything unpopular.
judged, insulted, gone

gordy

Postby gordy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:10 pm

If there was a handful of seconds between Andy and Cadel, there maybe racing, but even Andy has already congratulated Cadel.

mtbmikey

Postby mtbmikey » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:57 pm

Was great to watch, my Facebook went nuts with new status updates when he crossed the line!

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:46 pm

notwal wrote:
What about Greg Lemond? Did he have some hassles on the final day on the Champs Elysees?

I understand that it's just TdF tradition that no one attacks the yellow jersey on the Champs Elysees. I wonder if Andy doesn't have a somewhat jaundiced view of TdF tradition as a consequence of the circumstances of last years loss to Contador. Still he is very media savvy and he's is unlikely to do anything unpopular.
I think that the fact it is also a short flat stage means there is little point for a GC contender to attack. The peleton would mow them down.

Also remember that these guys are professional cyclists. It is their job. There is a certain amount of solidarity with co-workers. Evans has won on the aggregate of the stages that matter for the GC, there is little point trying to usurp this with a wild move on a short flat stage which is made for the sprinters. The competition for the green jersey, being for the sprinters, and this being a sprinters' stage, is another matter altogether.

As someone else said, LeMond won on a time trial, completely different situation.

Well done Cadel.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

notwal

Postby notwal » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:08 pm

DavidS wrote:
notwal wrote: What about Greg Lemond? Did he have some hassles on the final day on the Champs Elysees?

I think that the fact it is also a short flat stage means there is little point for a GC contender to attack. The peleton would mow them down.

Also remember that these guys are professional cyclists. It is their job. There is a certain amount of solidarity with co-workers. Evans has won on the aggregate of the stages that matter for the GC, there is little point trying to usurp this with a wild move on a short flat stage which is made for the sprinters. The competition for the green jersey, being for the sprinters, and this being a sprinters' stage, is another matter altogether.

As someone else said, LeMond won on a time trial, completely different situation.

Well done Cadel.

DS
I looked it up. I didn't realise that the ITT was the very last stage in 89 :? . I thought it was followed by the traditional finish stage. So yes it doesn't count.
judged, insulted, gone

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:20 pm

Congratulations to Cadel. There was much joy, champagne and tears of pride in the Monsoon household on Sunday morning as we watched him steamroller the Schlecks on the TT.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:07 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Congratulations to Cadel. There was much joy, champagne and tears of pride in the Monsoon household on Sunday morning as we watched him steamroller the Schlecks on the TT.
++1
Cadel Evans - winner Le Tour de France 2011!!!
A fantastic result for a great cycling aussie. Well done Cadel and the BMC team!!! :D :D :D
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:58 pm

A bit o/t but anyone know what brand Is Cadel's bike computer? Just curious that's all...

Cheers
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

fishwop

Postby fishwop » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:50 pm

Congratulations to Cadel, whose name will now be a household word in our fine land. It is remarkable to win an event like this at the age of 34 (actually I thought he was older, he does look older but it seems Cadel hasn't had the easiest of lives, more power to him).

I admit to not being 100% au fait on the sport of bicycle racing, hence thinking celebrations after the penultimate stage were premature. Presumably if the gap were only miniscule, the last stage would be a race to the finish. (And my French ex-girlfriend used to claim that Test Cricket was complicated!)

However, I do know a thing or two about la France and its inhabitants, having been romantically involved with a Frenchwoman, thus it surprises me not that a French bicycle race should be run, er, a little differently than other kinds of races. They like to do things a little differently, shall we say. And when you are in France, they like you to do them differently, too.

They are saying this will be bigger than Australia II winning the America's Cup. I think it will fall short of that, but be on par with Wayne Gardner winning the World Championship of GP Motorcycle Racing in 1987, and certainly he became a household name, and the sport gained hugely in profile as well.

David_G

Postby David_G » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:07 am

Cadel thanks the Army

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfea ... fault.aspx

Maybe yellow is the new Black and White..
Go Cadel

Go Pies
I just love riding my bike!

notwal

Postby notwal » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:19 pm

fishwop wrote: .....
They are saying this will be bigger than Australia II winning the America's Cup. I think it will fall short of that, but be on par with Wayne Gardner winning the World Championship of GP Motorcycle Racing in 1987, and certainly he became a household name, and the sport gained hugely in profile as well.
As it should. After all the TdF is widely regarded as the biggest sporting event in the world after the Olympics and the soccer World Cup. It says a lot about our parochialism that we hold the America's Cup above it. Maybe things will change. Maybe Team Pegasus will find its wings. That would be cool :D
judged, insulted, gone

fishwop

Postby fishwop » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:37 pm

notwal wrote: After all the TdF is widely regarded as the biggest sporting event in the world after the Olympics and the soccer World Cup.
Regarded by whom? How do you measure something like this? If by sheer numbers following/viewing the event, I would argue that the Cricket World Cup comes (a fairly distant) third. 1.2 billion Indians see to that. Australia won it 3 times running, so it was no big deal when the expected happened. Then there's Wimbledon, FA Cup Final, the Superbowl, Formula 1, MotoGP, the list goes on. There are a lot of huge sporting events. The Tour is one of them.

Spoked

Postby Spoked » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:56 pm

NhiTrac wrote:A bit o/t but anyone know what brand Is Cadel's bike computer? Just curious that's all...

Cheers
According to "The West Australian" this morning

Computer: SRM PowerMeter PowerControl 7 value $4975
other equipment

Helmet: Bell Volt $249
Sunglasses: Oakley Radar $299
Gloves: BMC team $69
BMC Jersey: $169
BMC bib nicks: $199
Bike (standard): BMC SLR01 Team Machine $7995
Wheels(extra): Easton EC90SL $3799
Running Gear: DuraAceDi2 groupset $3500
Shoes: Diadora Proracer3 $ 299

Total $21553

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:15 pm

Thanks spoked :D
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:56 pm

Spoked wrote:
NhiTrac wrote:A bit o/t but anyone know what brand Is Cadel's bike computer? Just curious that's all...

Cheers
According to "The West Australian" this morning

Computer: SRM PowerMeter PowerControl 7 value $4975
other equipment

Helmet: Bell Volt $249
Sunglasses: Oakley Radar $299
Gloves: BMC team $69
BMC Jersey: $169
BMC bib nicks: $199
Bike (standard): BMC SLR01 Team Machine $7995
Wheels(extra): Easton EC90SL $3799
Running Gear: DuraAceDi2 groupset $3500
Shoes: Diadora Proracer3 $ 299

Total $21553
So Cadel is nothing more than a Cafe Racer, rides his $20,000 bike, 2000kms with 200 of his mates and then has a $20 cafe latte at the end of it. The shame.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:55 am

i got my BMC SLR01 for $6800 about 2 weeks ago....................... now every body wants one. mine was a tour special
when do we stop for coffee???