Latest build. 63xc styleeee

BRLVR.v2

Latest build. 63xc styleeee

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:30 pm

Always fascinated by the 63xc site,and(half heartedly) having a MTB (fixed) on the wish list always see's me scanning for something suitable.Recently spotted a bike with an interesting looking frame on a Police auction of recovered and unclaimed bikes. Showed it to a mate who said it looked like an Ironhorse frame. Subsequent research on the net and I discovered that in the early noughties this american brand produced a range of MTB's with an a frame design.
I bid on the sucker and picked it up for a Fitty.

It was in a sorry looking state when i got it,as it had been brush painted badly with enamel and a matte finish house paint.I still didn't know what model it was, but it seemed to be in overall good knick otherwise.
spec was pretty good with 9speed deore formula hubs and an entry level manitou shock up front.
Original plan was to blast and paint, but a bit of light work with sandpaper to try and reveal what model it was(01 Marauder) saw me keep going and clean 99% of the bodgy paint job off.The more I did the more I liked the scruffy lived in patina the sand back was giving me with the leftover spots around dropouts and braze ons.
Purchased a velo solo sprocket, Kalloy post to replace the awful suspension one, and some new grips. Clear coated the frame to freshen it up and protect the thin spots.

Knocked it together last night before TDF started and went for a fang around the block....Awesome fun.
Turbo Super saddle from the parts bin fits the build well.
Used a $hitty ol chain until the Kool chain arrives in the mail, and some $hitty ol parts bin pedals. Will most likely get some platforms with strap on type foot retention next.
Set up with slicks for street use until I'm comfy on it and then I can swap to something chunky and go single tracking around my area.

Reynolds 520 tubes too. Chain line needs a minor adjustment, which i can do with washers as spacers on the rear.

Ferrari like head badge.

Funky A frame design

rkelsen

Re: Latest build. 63xc styleeee

Postby rkelsen » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:13 pm

That rear disc hub installed backwards with a sprocket bolted to the disc mounts... is PURE GENIUS! 8) Where'd you get the idea to do that? Freakin' brilliant, it is.

Looks like it'd be fun to ride. What size chain ring have you got on there?

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:53 pm

rkelsen wrote:That rear disc hub installed backwards with a sprocket bolted to the disc mounts... is PURE GENIUS! 8) Where'd you get the idea to do that? Freakin' brilliant, it is.

Looks like it'd be fun to ride. What size chain ring have you got on there?
Nothing genius from me.

this site is a major inspiration if your curious http://www.63xc.com/

And this mob already have it covered http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopdisc.html too easy.

I've been wanting to do this for ages, just needed the suitable bike. So far it owes me $156 as you see it which is fraekin awesome.

And yes it's heeeeeeeeeaps of fun. been skidding it up and hopping kerbs up and down my street all morning. can't wait to get it on some singletrack!

44 front 18 rear which keeps me in the 63 GI range or there abouts.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:48 pm

Did you miss this one rob?
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 28&t=40958

I was planning on building something similar, but am going SS for now instead.

Jim

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:37 am

familyguy wrote:Did you miss this one rob?
Sure did.

Thanks Jim. :)

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:58 pm

familyguy wrote:
I was planning on building something similar, but am going SS for now instead.

Jim
Nah.. just man up and go fixed.
Any nancy can ride S/S

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:29 pm

I may yet give myself the option. But a 54mm chainline might prove to be an issue!

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:55 pm

familyguy wrote:I may yet give myself the option. But a 54mm chainline might prove to be an issue!
Jeebus, why so big? I thought mine was gonna be big, but it turned out manageable. Maybe some road cranks with the ring on the inside of arms?
The spacers would help at the rear end, just make sure your mounting bolts are longer I guess.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:22 pm

Yeah, thats what I measured the centreline of the brake disc at when I turned the back wheel around. I can get it with a road crank/outside position ring/113 BB combo I reckon. But given that I will be carting my youngest daughter on the back of this one at least for the next six months, having two brakes really appeals. I can always turn it over later. Besides, I've already ordered a 16T Gussett wide SS cog :D

Jim

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:39 pm

Funky monkey!! Dave. And slam that stem!! And don't come crying to me when you jam a crank into a kerb at 30km thus endo-ing your sorry arse into the neighbour's rose bushes. :lol:

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:46 pm

rustychisel wrote:Funky monkey!! Dave. And slam that stem!! And don't come crying to me when you jam a crank into a kerb at 30km thus endo-ing your sorry arse into the neighbour's rose bushes. :lol:
no sign of pedal strike yet, it is a MTB after all with a higher BB than your usual roadie conversion. Took it off road yesterday with no real issues either. Makes ya concentrate on what's ahead like a fixated speed fiend though.

aaron

Postby aaron » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:44 am

Your chain is too slack to ride it fixed mate.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:26 pm

aaron wrote:Your chain is too slack to ride it fixed mate.
I think he's riding it, so that's the end of that argument [lol]

Actually, doesn't look too bad, depends on whether you like a little crankset slop or not. Tight is not good... but the slightly out chainline would worry me a bit more. Aaron, go down the Superdrome sometime and have a look how slack some of the old trackies like their running gear. It'll give you conniptions.

aaron

Postby aaron » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:42 pm

Sorry you're right, he's running a brake.
I thought he was brakeless and having a chain jump off myself I was concerned.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:52 pm

No chain jump, it's really not that slack to ride. chain line is minimal and will be rectified soon enough. The proof is in the 12 or so offroad k's I did on the weekend trouble free, but thanks all for your concerns.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:43 pm

aaron wrote:Your chain is too slack to ride it fixed mate.

New chain Azza, chunky and the quietest drivtrain of any fixed I've ever had. Magic gear too with perfect tension.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:00 pm

Took it out where it belongs today for some firetrail singletrack work.
Came home covered in mud!