Fantasy Tour De France

cherrycam

Re: Fantasy Tour De France

Postby cherrycam » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:23 pm

jasimon wrote:But at least he was better than Pettachi - although not as good as Feillu, who others more adept at this than me have on their teams.
For me there is a bit of a story behind this. I originally had Goss in my team and then changed Feillu in before the selection deadline. I then pressed the red button, to save of course, but my team was then submitted and had no option but to go with him - something I was regretting for a few days. I think I have already posted about that I would have changed Feillu if I had enough points for the swap I wanted to do.

That bit turned out well.

cherrycam

Postby cherrycam » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:31 pm

cherrycam wrote:
cherrycam wrote:Todays trades: Gilbert and Evans out, Cavendish and Bozic in.
This was a slightly mitigated disaster. Cav in was good, but Gilbert out - only time will tell how many points that will cost. Cadel looks like he his intent on finishing at the front of the field too. And Bozic did well - in the intermediate sprint.
With Petacchi coming in like he did in stage 7 this probably didn't cost too many points at the time, just a couple of trades when we got to stage 8 where I got Evans and Gilbert back on the team. But it has cost on stages 12/14 with two less transfers available. Amazing how clear it is with hindsight.

cherrycam

Postby cherrycam » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:41 pm

ft_critical wrote:Go Cameron!

I really think you are in with a chance. So I am rooting for you.
Thanks ft. Just trying my best. I've had a bit of a flatspot these last couple of days (well at least potentially to others who are high up), but that hasn't come through on the scoreboard yet - be interesting to see how it sits once it comes back up.

The other thing that is a little concerning is how good a GC team someone could potentially have on stage 18/19 for their bonus stage - although as with everything there is no guarantee - be interesting to see what will happen.

Hoping for Evans, Sanchez and Gilbert to descend (safely) like maniacs on stages 16 and 17 to gain time, good places and green points. Thinking about it, add Voeckler to that list, but he's not on my team yet.

cherrycam

Postby cherrycam » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:04 pm

They have updated the points that you can see on the 'display points' rollover when on the team pages, but totals, places not updated yet at all.

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:09 am

Just a heads up i believe that i got a virus from the site. Hopefully been reported and being fixed.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:03 pm

RICHARDH wrote:Just a heads up i believe that i got a virus from the site. Hopefully been reported and being fixed.
Cycling Central reports that they have been aware of this over the weekend but believe there is nothing wrong with the site(Internet browsers showing the false message), but trying to fix it.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Fantasy Tour De France

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:50 pm

Richard.L wrote:
RICHARDH wrote:Just a heads up i believe that i got a virus from the site. Hopefully been reported and being fixed.
Cycling Central reports that they have been aware of this over the weekend but believe there is nothing wrong with the site(Internet browsers showing the false message), but trying to fix it.
They posted on facebook earlier the site was subjected to an attack by hackers. Havent had a chance to read it yet so dont know what, if any success the hackers had.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:01 pm

im_no_pro wrote:They posted on facebook earlier the site was subjected to an attack by hackers. Havent had a chance to read it yet so dont know what, if any success the hackers had.
The post says ...
Over the last 2 days, the SBS website has been the victim of a hacking attack.

This is the first time that the SBS site has suffered any sort of attack, however unfortunately, this is a common occurrence for many websites and organisations around the world.

While SBS has comprehensive safety measures in place across the site, this source has been able to enter the site on this occasion and has inserted a link to a third party ‘malware site’.

Users who may have inadvertently visited this third party malware site could then have had their machines infected with a virus depending on their security settings. SBS recommends that any site users who may be concerned about infection run a full security scan.

SBS would like to apologise to any of our site users who may have been affected by a virus. Our digital team has been working throughout the weekend to rectify the problem and have now resolved the problem.

Investigations are ongoing regarding how this issue occurred and what steps can be taken to ensure it does not happen again.

We will continue to keep you updated.
Andrew

cherrycam

Postby cherrycam » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:18 pm

Scores updated & no longer getting warnings.

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:46 pm

What's going on? no up date for 2 days. I picked stage 18 as my bonus stage and have both Schlecks and Cadel in the team. Should get some good points but to few too late. :(

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:11 pm

They don't update in a timely fashion, but they keep a record of everything so you still need to make any transfers at the appropriate time regardless of what is showing for points and whatnot.

It is a pain - but it means that I appear to be doing better than I actually am :) (Nick has probably overtaken me for second based on the last stages but I've still got my nose in front based on the old data).

reeves

Postby reeves » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:49 am

still no bonus points :evil: :evil: :evil: :( :( :(
EMC2 Team Equip
COLNAGO Dream Lux

cherrycam

Postby cherrycam » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:29 pm

it would be nice to see the scores to see how hard we have to barrack for our riders, eh?

tkhoo

Postby tkhoo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:31 pm

Congratulations Cam...4 overall is a stellar effort!

cherrycam

Postby cherrycam » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:50 pm

The points aren't correct yet - they have awarded stage points for riders and team for the final standings.

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:13 pm

Congratualtions to Cam - wherever he finishes.

Just by way of observation I will say that my performance (I suspect two points behind Nick with a rank of 50ish once the final standings points are awarded -- Why, oh why, did I swap Farrar for Cancellara on the final day when I could have left Cancellara in and swapped out Contador or Schleck?) is how well you can do without any specific knowledge of cycling or cyclists. My performance was based on a thorough understanding of the rules and extensive use of oddschecker.com. For example, even though I had him in my team, I wouldn't know Phillipe Gilbert from a bar of soap. But lots of punters thought he was the bees knees and that was good enough for me. Anyone else frequent oddschecker.com?

cherrycam

Postby cherrycam » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:09 pm

Thanks John, I had better start accepting the glory of winning the BNA comp, because I'm pretty sure I've finished in 5th by one point, 43 points behind the winner, first place outside the prizes. Always next year.

Oddschecker is certainly useful, although you have to beware of the English bias. As your swap (taking out Cancellara) shows it is worth knowing as much as possible about the riders - looking at your team I would have taken out Contador (which is exactly what I did in my team). Over the last 3 years of doing this competition I have become much more interested about trying to understand the riders and how they will perform on given stages, the factors that affect performance, and looking at other race results/articles to try to gauge form.

BTW, did you get 198 for the bonus stage? Who was in your team?

One annoying swap for me was taking out Velits to put in Uran for stage 18, which cost 29 points over the following three stages. You can't dwell too much on these though, cause everyone has them - and what about those who had their entire GC team crash out!?

I notice that we have quite a few in the top 100 this year (5 pending change of results).
Last edited by cherrycam on Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:31 pm

cherrycam wrote:BTW, did you get 198 for the bonus stage? Who was in your team?
At least until a few hours ago it only said 119 for the bonus stage. I had pretty much the same as you only minus Feillu and plus Ciolek (IIRC). Not sure what is going on with that number but it seems to be affecting everyone (you apparently got 235 points for the bonus stage). Maybe they are using this route to apply final standing points and aren't quite finished? (But my final standing points should be more than that so I'm not really sure what is up.)

cherrycam

Postby cherrycam » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:48 pm

jasimon wrote:At least until a few hours ago it only said 119 for the bonus stage. I had pretty much the same as you only minus Feillu and plus Ciolek (IIRC). Not sure what is going on with that number but it seems to be affecting everyone (you apparently got 235 points for the bonus stage). Maybe they are using this route to apply final standing points and aren't quite finished? (But my final standing points should be more than that so I'm not really sure what is up.)
The difference of 94 for me (from 141) is the number of incorrectly assigned points for the final standings. My final standings points are 218.

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:23 am

Looks like the final results are in.

And, as Cam predicted, 5th for team Cherrypicked. Bummer dude! :cry:

Behind Cam there was a real logjam with 5 of us all within 50 points of each other and in the top 100.

Roll on next year.