big dummy technique

mekore

big dummy technique

Postby mekore » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:01 am

i'm buying one, any tips on riding technique?

i'm sure special attention have to be paid on turning and braking, especially i'm planning to carry a passengger

Comedian

Re: big dummy technique

Postby Comedian » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:43 am

No idea what one is? :o :lol:

Milar

Postby Milar » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:52 am

Like the Kona Ute, but bigger I think. No idea how different they would be to ride, maybe ask some tandem riders what it's like to ride solo?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:38 am

Comedian wrote:No idea what one is? :o :lol:
Probably one of these ...

Andrew

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:26 pm

mekore wrote:i'm buying one, any tips on riding technique?

i'm sure special attention have to be paid on turning and braking, especially i'm planning to carry a passengger
Don't try and do wheelies :D I would say just take it easy and get used to it first. After awhile you probably wont even notice the extra length.

scrubnbash

Postby scrubnbash » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:26 pm

Every time I see a photo of one of those things all I can think is: "That CHAIN!" Formidable.

robflyte

Postby robflyte » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:05 pm

no special technique, just ride and enjoy. Those fat tyres make for a smooth ride.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:08 pm

Hopefully mekore will get one with pedals :D

I didn't notice the extra length in a tandem - it handled like a regular bike - except when clearing humps in the road, like those very small speed humps. You are right about braking though - anticipation will be the name of your game. Good to have disc brakes

Given that the whole purpose of a big dummy is to haul cargo, I suspect you will notice the width, the wieght and the balance, especially if the weight distribution is up high or out wide.

The bikes seem pretty popular at the Cargo Bike forum on MTBR.

Have fun & don't forget to post pics & info

Cheers

Bruce

Marto

Postby Marto » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:34 pm

find_bruce wrote: Given that the whole purpose of a big dummy is to haul cargo...
This is a Yuba Mundo, but it is similar:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:13 am

The one shown at the top seems to have almost no rake from what I can see. That will make it inclined to want to NOT stay on a straight course. Fine for track racing but not ideal for lazy cruising, while the length would otherwise make for an easy ride.

Other one (blue with people) does have rake.

(Rake - the offset of the front wheel axle to the axis of the forks.)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

mekore

Postby mekore » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:51 am

what about jacknifing, like driving a long truck? :?

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:04 am

mekore wrote:what about jacknifing, like driving a long truck? :?
Jack knifing would only be an issue if you're articulated (i.e. towing a trailer), surely?

how about more zippier little numbers cutting in front of you to beat you to the lights?
You'll need a sticker made up for your bags or box on the back "Only Idiots cut in Front of Big Dummies" ;)
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:22 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:The one shown at the top seems to have almost no rake from what I can see.
Col, you're right in saying that it has straight forks... but if you hold a small ruler up to your screen - in line with the headtube - you will see that the fork blades are angled forward enough to give the bike enough rake to have a good amount of positive trail. Trail is what keep the bike pointing straight ahead.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:45 am

rkelsen wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:The one shown at the top seems to have almost no rake from what I can see.
Col, you're right in saying that it has straight forks... but if you hold a small ruler up to your screen - in line with the headtube - you will see that the fork blades are angled forward enough to give the bike enough rake to have a good amount of positive trail. Trail is what keep the bike pointing straight ahead.
The head tube angle is quoted as being 72 degrees. Given Surly's experience I would suggest, as you imply, that Surly would have a clue about getting it right.

Andrew

Marto

Postby Marto » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:30 pm

Marto wrote:
find_bruce wrote: Given that the whole purpose of a big dummy is to haul cargo...
This is a Yuba Mundo, but it is similar:
I was looking for a video I saw of the Yuba Mondo, from the above photo URL, and noticed that there is a guy in the photo sitting on the ground as if he has been dumped. I cant blame the Yuba Mondo owner, really :wink:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:08 pm

robflyte wrote:no special technique, just ride and enjoy. Those fat tyres make for a smooth ride.
And this guy rode one from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, with those huge Endomorph 3.7" tyres.

Specially modified frame

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

drubie

Postby drubie » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:45 am

I have one, minor bit of advice: keep your load as low as you can. I've commuted on my home made tandem (which looks to have a similar wheelbase to the big dummy) and putting heavy stuff high towards the back (like, say, a backpack in the kids seat area) can induce some pretty solid shimmying on out of the saddle climbs. Panniers are best I think, mounted as far inside the wheel base as you can manage.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

g3rg

Postby g3rg » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:03 am

I have an old mtb with the Xtracycle kit that the Big Dummy is compatible with. I use it a couple of times a week to commute on and do the grocery shopping with on the way home from work.

The few things I've noticed:

Don't try to race up hill. On the flat it is fine, and it loves downhills. If you can find a gradual sloping road with no traffic, it can be a fun bike to 'carve' turns across the slope. But as soon as you hit an uphill, you'll notice the extra weight, even unloaded.

Always load your cargo on the side that has the kickstand first. Otherwise its very embarrassing at the shops when your fruit tries to run away from you as your bike tips over.

Get used to some interesting looks and questions from people :)

As for riding technique, the basic mechanical disc brakes work quite well on my bike, you won't get up to a high speed to worry too much.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:24 am

You'll find the Big Dummy a bit stiffer than just an MTB with Xtracycle add-on, the gearing also set up for cargo work, the ride really smooth once you remember that any bumps that your front wheel rides over takes a tad longer to connect with your rear wheel. You'll probably start looking for a double kickstand and the wideloader horizontal racks, just always remember that when these racks are on that your turning corners on the bikepath and negotiating the metal poles at path end is a little more complicated. You'll start to find yourself drifting to the bungee cord sections in the hardware stores and auto shops. After that you start to realise in your various trips about the place "hey, I can carry that". And it goes on from there.

mekore

Postby mekore » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:40 am

Thank you for the insights!!! :D :D :D

i ocassionally buy tram cards for portgaging duties, and felt uncomfortable being full on wayback from pizza house--> always wish to bring a quarter of large pizza home instead of chucking it into my mouth....
i bet this bike will bring a lot of ease and joy. i hope i'll get it this september :D :D

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:29 pm

mekore wrote: always wish to bring a quarter of large pizza home instead of chucking it into my mouth....
You don't need the Big Dummy for that job :wink:

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:39 pm

i just built mine up with the kids today - running full Xt group, brooks saddle, jones J-bar, mavic 26" 29 rims, big apples.... went for a test ride around the yard a moment ago (again and again an again). I cant get the grin off my face.... technique ?? dont fall off (i did, in the shed...before i even got to the backyard.. seat too high).

Big Dummy+Titec J Bars+BRooks saddle = falling in love all over again !!!!
chop wood

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:12 pm

Thread dredge, are there any drop bar options out there with these? Was thinking something like a Kona Ute with drop bars over the standard Panniers option.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:54 pm

search 'dirt drops' in so far has drop bars go. A few different models around these days.

They're getting somewhat of a niche spike in popularity amongst the whole monstercross/fatbike/gravelgrinder/bikepacking scene. Niche within a niche sorta thing. I'm sure there'll be plenty of opinions awaiting you ;)
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:31 pm

Kona Ute + drops + tripple crank :) What could be better for lugging crap about lol.