2012 Olympic - just after the TDF

BarryTas

2012 Olympic - just after the TDF

Postby BarryTas » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:31 am

So it is one year out from the Olympics.

Will doing the TDF so soon before the Olympics hinder the riders' performance???????

imagine if Cadel took it out...but he will be a marked man. he would then have won 2 x MTB world champs, road world champs, the TDF and the Olympics

also will Cadel contest the TDF again or will he focus on the classics?
when do we stop for coffee???

Luke Brown

Re: 2012 Olympic - just after the TDF

Postby Luke Brown » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:11 am

I think a lot of it will depend on the type of rider and which event they are doing in the olympics.

I've heard people like Cav saying he comes out of the tour in awesome form, especially after slogging through multiple mountain stages which he doesn't tend to do at any other time of the year.

Others riders, especially those contesting for GC, seem to come out of the tour needing a bit of a break, so it'll be interesting to see what they do with the Olympics.

I think it'll also depend on whether they are doing road racing, or on the track, in the olympics. I would guess that the track riders would need to spend the weeks beforehand doing specific track training, rather than a jolly around the roads of france. For those doing the road race, I guess the tour would be ideal prep.

So in conclusion, it depends!

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:34 am

Not sure if the GC will take much notice of the Olympics. Isn't the Olympics really much for the sprinters like Cav? Depends how much he wants to defend the green jersey next year. Cadel said he was keen to defend next year.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:39 pm

tdf would be cadels main priority i would think. :)
now that he has won one he will be hard to stop i believe.
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:40 pm

I read something the other day where they asked Cadel about this. He said something to the effect that, if the course suited him he would like to try for the olymics, if not then he would probably not be the best person to pick for the team anyway. Bit like the world championship, the course has a very big effect upon who wins.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

daveywastaken

Postby daveywastaken » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:57 pm

CommuRider wrote:Not sure if the GC will take much notice of the Olympics. Isn't the Olympics really much for the sprinters like Cav? Depends how much he wants to defend the green jersey next year. Cadel said he was keen to defend next year.
the current defending Olympic champ is Samuel Sanchez. terrible sprinter.

I agree that most would rather go to the TdF and teams would b pushing riders to do that due to sponsors etc...i did hear that wiggins may target the olympics, because he is soft and scared.

anyone know if/when the course will b released?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:39 am

i heard that the course is flat for Cav. if so, cadel would be wasting his time.

skull

Postby skull » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:30 pm

BarryTas wrote: he would then have won 2 x MTB world champs?

Just to be picky but I don't think he was ever titled mtn bike wold champ. He did win the mtn bike world cup twice but I don't think that gives him the world champ title for that sport.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:04 am

skull wrote:Just to be picky but I don't think he was ever titled mtn bike wold champ. He did win the mtn bike world cup twice but I don't think that gives him the world champ title for that sport.
yeah, i think winning the MTB world cup is like winning the UCI World Tour, which incidentally he is leading and has won previously i think.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:03 pm

jules21 wrote:
skull wrote:Just to be picky but I don't think he was ever titled mtn bike wold champ. He did win the mtn bike world cup twice but I don't think that gives him the world champ title for that sport.
yeah, i think winning the MTB world cup is like winning the UCI World Tour, which incidentally he is leading and has won previously i think.
S'right. World champ jersey means a winning performance on one day, World cup jersey needs good performances over a season.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011